On board video equipment

murankar

Staff member
I am wondering how this setup would work. Would I need a laptop present while flying? Anyhow would this be a good buy or should I avoid this?

Micro Wireless Video Camera

I was thinking of ordering this if it is not to complicated to operate or not to heavy for the heli to haul to the air.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
You will need a video out for this. Like a little tv or an LCD screen whatever...

BUT not good for fpv flight.... I suggest watching some of the videos on either "xjet" or "rcmodelreviews" On YouTube..
That guy Brice... Is a fpv master on reviewing an telling you what to get and not.

If you are planning fpv, I am not the master as tasjara (sp) but I know one thing, it wont really be a good thing to start with fpv on a heli.

For just flying like usual, and also having a display on screen for funsies (not fpv) you'll be ok with this.

Except the antennas and equipment in this and similar setups are bad. I mean it's cheap enough to try on, may be YOU can do a review on it.

Depends on what you wanna do. For fpv... IMO don't do it ... Use better equipment on either a slower plane or quad to start with ..

murankar

Staff member
Just looking to do flight footage. FPV is out of my league right now. The camera I would like to get is out of stock. It's the mini dice cam on xheli. Not sure if they will ever get it back in stock.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Why don you get a keychain HD camera. I do mine with a sd camera abd they are ok.

HD ones are awesome and simple as can be setup. Just velcro on it and it's good to go. 8gb of storage I think 16gb max.. And 40 mins of footage on one battery. Look for 808 #16 HD cameras.

Good part is you can make them wide angle and zoom and what not by little attachments deal extreme ha and people have detailed video tutorials for
Those. I mean it's worth 40 bucks .. :)

murankar

Staff member
I'll have to look into it. The mini dice cam has "night vision" and a memory card slot. it is rated at 720p max which is fine for on board.

Could you post a link to the 808 #16 camera? every time I look for small cames I never find quit what I want.

murankar

Staff member
Ok I found some on line ranging from $38.99 to $50. I will definatly consider it if the mini dice is not restocked.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Haven't seen reviews of the dice can too much... May be I just didn't look hard enough..

I use the keychain they are good. One hd version tiny has heats up too much. I think #16 is a newer design. Anywaz. Let us know what you get. Good to have some diversity in stuff. Gets some awesome user reviews. :)

murankar

Staff member
I saw some videos on youtube done with it. They look pretty good for a small camera. The only issue I see with it is the white balance is not too good. That can be fixed during post processing in the video editor.

murankar

Staff member
here is a video that is claimed to be with the mini dice cam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

That FPV kit is no good. Its on the same frequency as your 2.4 radio. Any FPV units you use must be on a different frequency ie 5.8Ghz or 1.3 or 900mHz.
I'm in the process of looking for good FPV stuff to buy.

Tony

Staff member
that was single handidly the most boring video I have ever seen in my life. two and a half minutes until he actually starts going, then in the second turn he rolls and had to pick up the truck from teh track? Then it's just sitting there again? This video goes to the top of my "suck" list lol.

murankar

Staff member
Yah, I thought the same thing too. He could have done a better job at editing, like never turning on the camera. It was only for the pourpose to show the vid quality of the camera.

ok, maybe I should be banned for that one! :lol:

Tony

Staff member
hahaha. IMO, the quality was not that great. The outer edge was darker than the middle telling me that the camera opening is not big enough, or there is something wrong with the lense. If it's the opening, that can be solved by making the hole bigger. But Not sure what else would fix it if it's the lense. Either way, I'm off to the flying field to crash *ahem* fly some planes...

wolfman76

hey murankar i have a dice cam to give you idea i will find it do some video just for sample inside outside in light changes to give you an idea... Oh yeah n the night vision on it is not green it is blue tint to it can't really see anything too well but i will try to do some video of that too for you to get an idea what it is like also... i picked up mine up in march luckily it was in stock all in all it really is'nt to bad of a camera i think i will be doing on board video with it if i can ever get 1 of my helis in the air the exi 450 is out of commission for the time being and i am tweeking the 500 at the moment oh yeahs and as tony knows my beautiful orange dx6i had a battle with a glass of tea other night and currently on disabled list but hopefully not permanent just have not had a chance to really look at it lately... But i will make some video with the dice cam and post on here as soon as i can...

murankar

Staff member
Thanks. I think for the price its not to bad of a deal. No big hurry, xheli probably won't have them back for as while.

wolfman76

here you go murankar first vid is actual video from my car at speeds up to 40mph second is night video in my bathroom key not it is pitch black on night vision 1 absolutely no light in the restroom at all excuse distortion on 1 from my car i have a subwoofer that is why you hearing distortion everytime bass hit i even had it low too.. hope this is helpful not to bad for speeds up to 40 first time i have done a recording like that with it

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom