250 Omphobby M2 - Direct Drive Micro Helis

Smoggie

The awesome OMPHObby M2 micro has been around a year but OMP have just relesed two new upgraded versions. The new models ate the M2-2020/V2 and the M2-Explore. The helis are very similar, main difference is the Explore has plastic grips swash and servo bodies, the 'V2' has all alloy parts.

Some pics and specs:
OMPHobby_M2-2020_3D_Helicopter.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Can these be fitted with 3rd party parts. Can i put my mini vbar clone on it with spektrum sat.

Smoggie

Can these be fitted with 3rd party parts. Can i put my mini vbar clone on it with spektrum sat.

The flight control unit has connections for plugging in a Spektrum DSMX satellite or a micro SBus receiver (Futaba or FrSky). I dont think you could use a 3rd part FBL unit though, at least not without some home brewed modification. The stock FBL unit is very good, fully configurable on the new version and has built in self levelling stabilisation that you can turn on or off.

Mikado have teamed up with OMPHobby and are bringing out a Mikado branded version called Logo 200, which has a mini version of the Neo and will bind to any Vcontrol Tx.. But of course Mikado dont sell cheap, it's about double the price of the original OMPHobby version. I think the fact that Mikado wanted to put their name on this heli does speak volumes about it's quality and flight ability.

murankar

Staff member
I have a sat from when I bought my dx6. Thats what I wanted to know. So I can make fly with my other radio if I wanted.

It feels Mikado wanted to get into the micro world but didn't want to invest in the tooling. So they make an offer to a third party and bam they get it in.

Yes if mikado is willing to put their name on something it speaks volumes of the product.

Smoggie

I got myself an OMPHOBBY M2 Explore. I set it up on my new Radiomaster TX16S that I picked up for use on bind and fly models (highly recommend).

This heli is AWESOME, I can’t say enough good things about it. Build quality is unlike anything else you can find in small BNF type helis, nothing I've seen before even comes close. I only had one test flight in a small garden but with the flight controller in stability mode this is the easiest flying heli I’ve ever experienced, the stability is unbelievable for a heli of it's size.

Although I’ve not tried it in 3D mode I know from other reports and videos that I’ve seen the heli is capable of anything you can ask of it.

So for anyone at any skill level looking for a BNF heli of this size it’s got to be #1 choice
756B3FE4-FA00-4324-9CB8-009043814673.jpeg

Smoggie

The OMPhobby flight controller doesn't have an 'official' rescue function it only has self leveling stabilisation. But with a little programming in the transmitter you can setup a very effective rescue.

So what I've done in the Radiomaster TX16S is setup a rescue toggle switch which when activated does two things:
  1. Instantly forces channel 5 to +100% thereby activating stability mode
  2. After a 0.2s delay it forces channel 6 (pitch) to 75%
This is easy on an OpenTx radio as you can program logical switches to have a user configurable delay. It may not be possible in all systems.

It works better than I'd expected:

EdinLipka

Hi....I have gotten mine and 12 packs through it. The presentation was totally shocking. The heli was entirely steady and exact simultaneously. The tail held impeccably all through moves like various flips, spasm tocs, pipes, converse and transformed flight. Given its force, it was especially acceptable at spasm tocs. Be that as it may, was very exact with different moves too. I was absolutely not expecting this since I heard that WL Toys helped plan the gyro.

It performed essentially better compared to the 150S, 180CFX and Fusion 180. It was comparable to an Oxy 2 with miniature Brain and 1911 engine. I would say that Blade, however Oxy and Align better watch out.

order pcb

Last edited:

Smoggie

Great to hear you like it! The newer versions on the M2 (since about September last year) have had a firmware update to they flight controller and ESC which further improves tail performance making it far better than any other direct drive tail heli out there. WL Toys I don't think had any input to the gyro design.

Top Bottom