Micro OMP M1

leedude1

Hey guys,

It's been a while, but I'm still kicking.

Curious has anyone else picked up the new OMP M1 since its release? I'll throw up a couple of photos of mine a little later today.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Glad to see your still kicking :). When you do throw a couple of photos together, tell the members what's your final conclusion of the OMP M1 :smashfreakB:

leedude1

20210123_195211[1].jpg20210116_112658[1].jpg20210116_112608[1].jpg20210123_195211[1].jpg20210116_112658[1].jpg20210116_112608[1].jpg20210116_112630[1].jpg

Ok guys, so in short I'm very impressed with this little machine.

Extremely locked in, and tons of power. This is a direct drive heli, so no gear train, pinion etc.. making this very quiet in comparison to other models of this size.

ESC/Flybar unit is in the front and if your running this on a spektrum system like me the ONLY place to put the satellite is where I have.. you have a convenient space in the frame to run a safety tie-wrap otherwise the double-sided tape would be only holding on the outside of the frame and the middle section would be hollow so to speak.

Things I do not like about it are few at this stage. One being the Jesus bolt uses a 1mm hex drive (which wasn't in my kit, although normally it should be included) DO NOT lose it folks as this size can not be found ANYWHERE. .9 too small 3/64th too large etc etc.. it must 1mm or you're out of luck. OMP is sending me one after I reached out to them theyll be in next week and (I mentioned they should hold these in stock as spare parts), in my opinion, this is a must change for them and they should replace this bolt with a more standard size. If I crash it now, I can't repair it, even if I have the crash parts because I can not take it apart. :banghead: Lol

Batteries are a simple press fit, but here again with very tight tolerances, so forget using anything that isn't a perfect battery, even a slight puff will be a no go as it simply will no longer fit.

Again, great machine from where I stand right now, parts are few and inexpensive from what I can see. But a crash in my eyes (when it occurs) will more than likely almost always cost grips, spindle and dfc arms and the like if throttle hold is slow, there will be some parts to change with the direct drive being much less forgiving than Delrin or plastic gears that may strip saving something else.

FBL unit is super programmable and allows for gain and agility tweaking on aileron, elevator and rudder with a 10 stop type electronic set button function (default is set at 5 so you have 4 points down and 5 points up adjustability from the pre-set). I have not had the need to touch mine at all as it flies great as is, but the option is there for those that feel the need to play.

I would NOT put this is the hands of a beginner although the normal mode is tame with the self-level. This baby has uooomph.:bolt:

I have seen the M2 normal mode set up on a spektrum system made to perform as a bailout and I will try this function at some point as the programming is supposed to be the same on the M2 and M1. If so, that is a sweet benefit on a bird like this.

NOTE: Anyone have a 1 mm hex or allen key they would like to send my way. LMAO:bellyroll:

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you much for sharing pics and opinion :). That's a sharp looking little bird you have their Mike. I'm also loving the decal on the DX8. I was thinking about doing that to my TX but wasn't sure how it would look. I got my answer now...SWEET! If you can, how about a video with that bird in action. Looks like it's a blast to fly.

leedude1

Those grips are really nice and easy to install its well worth it in my opinion. The switch nuts too...
I'm thinking I have a thing for orange and black.lol

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Those grips are really nice and easy to install its well worth it in my opinion. The switch nuts too...
I'm thinking I have a thing for orange and black.lol
The orange TX looks great. I can only find orange or blk colored grips. Maybe on my next TX I get :).

leedude1

So its not just me then. I find it REALLY flies awesome. Lol

Can you do me favor Smoothie please.

Put a caliper on that M1 hex driver for me and confirm my belief that its a 1mm.

Thanks

Smoggie

So its not just me then. I find it REALLY flies awesome. Lol

Can you do me favor Smoothie please.

Put a caliper on that M1 hex driver for me and confirm my belief that its a 1mm.

Thanks
None of the later batches of M1s came with hex drivers. I've had over 70 kits through my hands (I deal with OMP in the UK) and none had the hex drivers. Only the first batch supplied in early December in the USA came with the drivers. I was told by the factory that the reason for this is that the driver supplied in the first batch was not a good fit, so they discontinued it. I'm trying to get some clarity on if they will be offering a replacement.

I've done my own testing. I found that a standard 1mm Allen key fitted but was slightly loose. It would slip on tighter screws. The only tool I've found to be a good fit is a modified TORX T3 wrench. As standard the T3 is also a bit loose, but the tip is tapered so by grinding down slightly on length you make a tighter fit. I ground off about 1mm and the fit was then perfect.

leedude1

Thanks that helps some.

I was told by the US distributor (I was ordering some spares/crash kit from) they were to be receiving a supply of the drivers this week. They will add one to my pending order.
I'm not sure if its going to be an amended size or the original driver.
I think the best solution, if possible, would be for OMPHOBBY to swap out that screw with one that uses a standard size driver as this will affect every owner.
I have a few micro Torx drivers lying around and will give your fix a shot my man.
Ill let you know how I fair.

leedude1

Smoogie,
You're the man!!!

Torx #3 ground down slightly has her done. I can at least now remove the screw if needed.

Still think an outright change of that screw is in order...or a proper well fitted tool thats added as an available spare is a necessity.

Beyond that, doesn't change my solid impressions of this little guy.

Thanks again for the direction.

Fastfreddie

I’m using this orange micro satellite it fits perfectly and works great

Attachments

• 8173E58E-CBB5-4159-9308-2635C550D813.jpeg
    8173E58E-CBB5-4159-9308-2635C550D813.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 7

leedude1

The fit on the back where I put it really isn't bad. Doesn't interfere at all with the canopy and cg looks ok as well.

Where did you install yours? Post a pic.

Found it on hobby king, might give it shot but would like to see where you were able to mount it.

Last edited:

Fastfreddie

It fits nicely in the space between the frame supports on the back.
I put some Plasti dip around the antenna and lead wires to keep them protected.

Attachments

• 324336E9-B2C4-4869-8079-F1869E05F000.jpeg
    324336E9-B2C4-4869-8079-F1869E05F000.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 06537B03-7D7A-4A9F-970F-841131A390DE.jpeg
    06537B03-7D7A-4A9F-970F-841131A390DE.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 6

leedude1

Ok, in essence , same place as mine but higher up on the frame. Agreed it works well.
Limited real-estate elsewhere for them.

Fastfreddie

It could actually fit under the canopy I just didn’t want to tape it on top of the lights for the setup when using the omp protocol because I sometimes switch between the omp and dsmx.

it’s only about 13x15mm

Smoggie

That Orange Nano satellite looks like a great option, but it seems to be unavailable now.

Top Bottom