Oldish New Guy

mosesmcrae

Hey, everybody.

I'm in my mid-sixties and decided I'd give RC airplanes a try. I've learned a lot before even getting my DHC 2 Beaver on floats in the air for the first time--the myriad of connectors, BNF, TXr, RTF, ARF and all about chargers(genuine and counterfeit). All these learning experiences cost me a little extra money but it's been worth it so far.

I have the AeroFly RC7 on my Mac desktop with the Easy USB Commander controller. The ratio of takeoffs to successful landings is slowly evening out.

The learning curve on my Spektrum DX8 has been steep, but I didn't want to be buying a better transmitter every six months. YouTube has been a big help.

When I get home next week I'll charge my batteries with my new, built in America, charger. Then the big leap takes place with the help of a neighbor who is much more experienced.

Wish me luck!

Maybe I'll see some of you at Joe Nall in May on my first visit.

Bob

Barge

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll enjoy the help that is offered around here. A little bit of advice, have your neighbour take off and land for the first couple of flights and you fill in the middle bits. This will take away the anxiety of TO and landing and give you the chance to get a feel for the bird, and remember, there is no rush. There's nothing like taking your plane home in one piece after a days flying, and on top of that, the best of luck.

Stambo

Welcome to the forum.
I'm glad you said oldish, it makes me feel like a youngster at 55.
I took my first RC flight/crash less than 2 years ago.
I am mainly into quads and heli's but I can see some wings in my hangar at some stage in the future.
I agree totally with Barge. If you have someone with experience available let them do the harder stuff the first few times.
Landing is easy, gravity takes care of that.
The hard part is landing in such a manner that you can fly again without repairing something. :)
Good luck, and any questions you may have, post them in the appropriate section and someone here will have an answer for you.

Derek

Hi there, Bob! Welcome to the forum! Those DHC 2 Beavers are awesome looking planes!!!

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Welcome, Bob! Glad to have you aboard!

I have been into Helis mostly but will be giving airplanes a try once the weather warms up!

Great advice Barg!

mosesmcrae

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I do plan to let the neighbor do the takeoff and landing. I'm looking hard at building a quad. Looks will be secondary.
Thanks again,

Bob

Top Bottom