OK fixed wing?

Who makes the best and or who should we avoid? I like allot of the Dynam designs but am totally unfamiliar with who is good and who aint.. You guys are so much help..I would be so lost without this forum LOL. Thanks all..and especially you Tony.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
In my opinion, Parkzone makes the best planes. I have 4of them amd they all fly very nice!! Dynam planes fly very nicely but the electronics are cheap. Multiplex also has nice flying planes but they are way overpriced. Hope that helps!!

Tony

Staff member
It's my pleasure to help anyone and everyone on here. Thanks for the kind words.

As for planes, if you look at my hangar, you will see that I HATE FOAM! All of my planes other than my trainer (made off of the Telemaster) and the F-16 (made because I was bored at work lol) are made out of balsa covered in Monokote. My 50" Edge, 40" Extra, 40" Edge, 30" Bipe and my Telemaster are all made out of balsa covered in Monokote. Foam flexes too much and just looks cheap when you get up close to it. I like things that look real, and when you can see the foam beads, it's not real.

IMO, hobbylobby sells some nice balsa kits, but you have to put most of them together. Tower Hobbies sells my 50" Edge 540T made by Great Planes, but it's not a beginner plane. If you want a really good beginner plane, a high wing trainer, get ahold of Gaba and see if he is still selling his trainer cheap. Honestly I would offer a bill for it bind-N-fly, but I like building and setting up my own planes. Also if you were me, you would buy an ARF kit, then get all of your electronics and figure it out on your way. I love that part of the build lol.

The next question is, do you want nitro or electric? Electric is easier by far and cleaner. Nitro just sounds and smells great. This is up to you, and will help narrow down the results. Let me know and I can help point you in the right direction.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I don't hate foam as strongly as tony. But do hate banana hobby just as strongly as anyone.

I love..LOVE my p-51 from tower hobbies. It's awesome! It's gig gmgoam outer abd balsa inner with carbon struts to reinforce stuff it's awesome!

Then there are stores like great planes, that have stood the challenges of time. Their planes are solid! And man of built right, one of the best.

Hobbyzone is highly commercialized , and lot of their money goes in packaging, and marketing, that makes their products relatively expensive. But then again, there are good and there are bad in those too. They do put a bit of research in their stuff. I like that.

Now the latest and the greatest the fancy shmancy comes from hobbyzone and or parkzone (same roof different name) .

While the scale and the olds Goldies are from companies like great planes.. (not all but very trusted) then. There are companies that make hardcore 3D planes. And such.

Calling all foamie's bad is like calling all dodge cars bad cause there was a dodge neon. Lol IMO

But be more careful buying those, read reviews harder and do some research before buying those.

Kit planes (ones you build) , except from how hard they are to build.. And how good of a builder you are... turn out great ...

Arf planes even balsa ones are to be researched about again first. To make sure the way they are built they don't behave bad.

Hope it helps. :)

I do plan to get into building but untill then BNF or ARF that I can repair cheap are the best bet as I take awhile to learn but am stubborn LOL

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
yeah ARF are good. there are nitro and electric ARF's both. getting into planes the first time. Get a high wing. balsa is gonna take a bit more to repair, than fowm (which is foam safe CA and thats it.. almost.. ) but both are cheap and easy to fix... as far as the crash wasn't catastrophic.

If you want to get into planes. I have a rtf Nexstar mini ep from Tower Hobbies (with ct6b rx and all) I am trying to sell.. if you are interested, hit me a PM. But regardless of where you buy it from. get a high wing trainer to start off..

Tony

Staff member
Hey Tiny :lmao:

it's ooh-rah!

I was typing short hand lmao.

I do plan to get into building but untill then BNF or ARF that I can repair cheap are the best bet as I take awhile to learn but am stubborn LOL

In all honesty, I think PNP or ARF would be your best bet at this time. PNP is "Plug-N-Play". Everything will be in the kit except the Rx and battery. Talk Gaba down in price on that Nexstar and you will really like it. if you want something even more stable, go with a 50"+ wing and it will float for ever lol.

wolfman76

i agree with coolgabsi and tony although i have 2 fomies that i built myself 1 of which has a 44"wing monster tensor bipe they r more inexpensive for me anyways.. i also have 2 nitro's as well i am building a ARF p-51d mustang from nitroplanes.com it is the 125 dolla "MARIE" version seems to be an ok plane thus far but lacks some more detailed instructions... i also have a great planes eagle 2 trainer both of which r pretty decent size planes i love them both.. it is really a matter of preference i guess...

Tony

Staff member
I would like to point out one thing, I don't like EPP or EPO foam. Things like Foam Board and Depron for profile foamies I do like. I just don't like these "scale" planes made out of the "beer cooler" foam. In fact, I'm thinking about ordering some depron for my F-16.

wolfman76

lmao @ beer cooler foam!!!!:chuckles: if you ever build i built my extra 330 3d foamie out of the cellafoam same stuff that you put on your house before vinyl siding 1/2" thick is what i used it is the orange plane in my album..i also agree with tony on the 50"+ wingspan my eagle 2 has a 51/2' wing and when i flew it it floated at low speeds and it is a nitro

Tony

Staff member
I was, but it was late, I was tired and just put it out there lol. It's all good.

wolfman76

army is hoo rah but army marines does it really matter we are both brothers in arms right...much love to all former and current members of the ARMED FORCES... Sorry know it was off topic but just had to say that

Last edited:
Top Bottom