Projects Octopus Third Hand DIY for soldering etc.

Hi all, do you solder things often but always have a hard time trying to hold everything in the perfect position at the same time as holding the solder and the soldering iron? Well me too, so i thought about going and buying a third hand device from radio shack that has aligator clips on it and a magnifying glass too so that when i solder stuff it would hold anything i need right in place so my hands where free to do everything else but then i looked and they want over $15 for one and it has limited movement and function so i decided i'm making my own that way it not only will be mine but i can pimp it out to look custom and add more function to it other than just the simple soldering function.

So i bought a 12"x1/4"x2.5" piece of aluminum online for i think about $6 then i bought 2 machining cooling hose kits from another online site ( Ill get the exact info on the next post in case anyone else wants to try and make their own) the hose kits are the ones that are used on metal cnc machines to spray out coolants and other liquids that snap together and can be moved and adjusted by hand to any position you want, then i got some banana clips & alligator clips that fit on the end of the banana clips from Radio Shack. Oh i also had to buy a 27 NPT Tap because conveniently that was the only one that was not in my tap and die kit.

I started out by drilling 4 holes just barely smaller than the tap, 2 on each end of the aluminum (see pic). i then taped all of them, sanded the whole thing and smoothed out the edges so that paint will stay on and so i wont get cut or anything. I thought about it for awhile of what colors i wanted to paint it and how i wanted it to look, i decided i wanted it to be black with a few purple stripes going through it to give it a kind of cool custom look so i've gotten to the point now that i sprayed on a coat of white sealer paint first so that other colors will show up true then i sprayed on a thick coat of fluorescent Purple ( i used testor airbrush Fluorescent Purple i believe its Aztek but its be thinned for airbrushing so its nice) then i only had to wait about 20 minutes and it was dry so i have proceeded onto masking some lines off on it in a random method not knowing exactly what i was going for cuz im still very new to airbrushing ( so yes anyone can do this even if you've never painted in your life just remember to not spray too much at once cuz that will cause drips, runs and puddles other than that i dont think you can go wrong unless you touch wet paint) But thats where ive gotten to for now & ill post some pics with this to show you. Next post ill include all the technical data as far as how much everything cost and exact parts, qtys., & sources that i got them from. By the way i got this entire idea off of a site called instructables it has some truely amazing ideas on their. Thanks TOM

2013-07-28 23.35.17.jpg2013-07-28 23.35.35.jpg2013-07-28 23.36.25.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The first pic is after all the masking. 2nd is what the piece started like.3rd is a pick of some beads 6mm I got from hobby lobby for $1.47 for 160 to out into each one of my paints, im putting 2-3 per paint depending on container size so that it makes it alot easier to get a full mix on them without killing yourself, I was going to use metal ball bearings but im fearful of them rusting and then turning my paints different colors, any thoughts on those cuz I would've loved to use metal cuz there alot heavier than these beads are. Ceramic are really expensive.

2013-07-28 23.35.17.jpg

2013-07-28 23.35.35.jpg

2013-07-28 23.36.25.jpg

Ok so i finished the octopus third hand today with flat black it looks goodand i evenused it to solder ends onto 2 new batteries & solder a new end onto my blade 450 3D so that everything has the same ends. I will tell you out of all the custom work that i have done from the Hobby table to the third hand etc. Soldering is my worst gift in life and i now know that i hate it & next time i need to solder something im either going to take it to my LHS or buy a battery with the correct end already on it, cuz my soldering doesnt seem to turn out looking that good. Also note to self now that all batteries & both heli's have the Deans connectors on them I do not like the Deans connectors that i got from Hobby King because they have that little extra piece of spring steel on the male ends that in theory is suppose to make it for a tight connection but they are so hard that you cannot even connect the female & male together so i went ahead and broke off the spring steel from the heli male deans plug and it still fits snug & doesnt lose connection at all cuz i did a vigorous shaking test to make sure.

Anyway the machining coolant hose i bought is Snap-Flo from ENCO, I bought 2 kits part # 240-7509 $7.75 ea. each coming with 13" of hose in 2 sections then 4 threaded bases in 2 different thread patterns & sizes, 4 different nozzles. then i had to also purchase an extra set of 27 NPT 1/8" threaded bases part # 240-7540 $3.84 so that i would have 4 in total, also i had to buy an additional set of 90 degree nozzles part # 891-6077 $6.73. Then the shipping from ENCO was $7.95 so in total $34.02 Deff. not saving money this way but its the DIY experience that I'm after. Now to the the aluminum block i got it from Onlinemetals.com for $6.60 when i just choose the 2.5"x0.5" random length cut 10"-12" cuz its cheaper than buying an 8" piece because they called it a random cut then the shipping was $13.56 so total was $20.16 so yes you can deff get better deals from a local metal shop but i don't drive & i just assume pay the fee to get it to me. I did the stupid mistake of not listening to the guy that wrote the instructables site on how to build the octopus in saying that i should of also bought the pliers from ENCO to assemble the coolant hoses together because no matter how strong you think you are its not about strength cuz you have to be able to line the hose up straight exactly and even tried a hammer but no go so i ended up buying a set of assembly pliers off ebay for $13.00 free shipping 2 months later so i could finaly put the whole project together. Other than the above mentioned items i bought to make this project i also had to buy 2 packs of 1/8" threading banana clips from radio shack that where about $6.50 each & they wont say that they are threaded you just look for the ones with the harder rubber black and red ends on them the are that price and they'll be it then just take the ends off and walla there are threads, i also bought a package of regular size alligator clips that came in a little bag that also had the red and black ends on them for about $4.00 to fit onto the banana clips that are threaded into the 90 degree nozzles connected to the ends of each of the 4 hoses. See the pictures below and if you still have questions please ask. Oh one last thing i also had to buy a 1/8" 27 NPT tap to tap the nozzles with for the banana clips other than that just paint whatever you want or leave it bare aluminum but it will probably turn your hands black if left bare and you handle it all the time.

Other than the alligator clips to hold things with you can also diy a fan that will slide onto the banana clips to exhaust any heat or fumes or a magnifying glass, or LEDS etc it endless possibilities let me know what you all think of it thanks TOM. In total after everything i spent about $65 so yes pretty dumb if you want to save money but after i got into it i just kept going so yes i have a heavy nice paper weight

This is the kit from start to finish including the pliers.

2013-07-29 18.08.26.jpg2013-07-29 18.08.53.jpg2013-07-29 18.10.38.jpg2013-07-29 18.10.44.jpg2013-07-29 18.10.57.jpg2013-07-29 18.19.06.jpgthat doubles as a soldering station. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the third hand in action for you to all see.

2013-07-29 21.41.37.jpg2013-07-29 21.41.49.jpg2013-07-29 21.42.03.jpg

2013-07-29 18.08.26.jpg

2013-07-29 18.08.53.jpg

2013-07-29 18.10.38.jpg

2013-07-29 18.10.44.jpg

2013-07-29 18.10.57.jpg

2013-07-29 18.19.06.jpg

2013-07-29 21.41.37.jpg

2013-07-29 21.41.49.jpg

2013-07-29 21.42.03.jpg

pvolcko

Nice. Hope those arms are sturdier than the typical third hand. Heavy base so I would think so. Looks cool. :)

Top Bottom