Boats Noob Here, Want To Try A Basic Rc Boat Project

PAUL E FOX

As mentioned in my intro post, I've built a "putt putt" boat that uses a candle-powered "boiler" for motive power. Actually works quite well. Well enough, in fact, that I think having a RC rudder and being able to let it "run free" would be fun.

I'm in the middle of a build and bought a cheapo WalMart RC truck to swipe components out of, but the steering is just a motor driving a rack and pinion that stalls at either end of the travel until you let go of the joystick. Move the joystick and it SLAMS to the limit, no in between at all.

Being as this is my first foray into RC, I don't want to spend a lot of money just to find out it's not my thing. I really only need one channel as there won't be an electric motor or speed controller involved, but I expect a 2 channel controller is about the bottom of the line.

So what I'm asking for is recommendations for a basic 2 channel controller, a receiver and a servo to control the rudder. I see some inexpensive "FlySky" stuff on Amazon but the reviews are all over the place, and my general experience with bottom tier import stuff hasn't been particularly favorable.

OTOH, the Futuba stuff is massive overkill and way out of my price range anyway.

What brands and models are more "middle-of-the-road"? Is it reasonable or possible to get a transmitter, receiver, servo and battery pack(s) for around $50? Don't know that I want or need to go LIPO rechargeables for my first project, but not sure the weight of multiple AA batteries is a good thing either.

Any and all advice welcomed. Be gentle...:anonymous:

PAUL E FOX

Tony

Staff member
I honestly would just get a cheap USB charger to match the two 300mah lipo packs that you can wire in series. This would give you a total of 8.4 volts at a full charge, but as long as the receiver and servo can handle it, it will give you longer run times with less weight. And saving weight is definitely going to be needed to keep this boat going.

Tony

Staff member
Here is the battery, better yet, it is 300mah and already a 2s package. My head was stuck thinking about using the mcpx batteries. Sorry about that.

Turnigy nano-tech 300mah 2S 45~90C Lipo Pack

Here is a charger that should work well with the above battery.

7.4V USB Charger

Here is a small servo to use for the rudder

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt500-micro-servo-0-6kg-0-08sec-6-2g.html

And since all of these small servos only like 6.0 volts and not 8.4, you may want to get a UBEC like this one below.

5V 5A UBEC 2-5S Lipoly (7.2-21v)

PAUL E FOX

RC gear arrived. Got it installed and works perfectly. Went with Amazon as Hobby King wanted to gouge me pretty heavily for shipping and the turn around time was out there a ways.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Paul. That is awesome like Tony mention. Pretty neat and keep the pics coming and videos if you can :).

PAUL E FOX

Thanks. Just checked the weight of a LIPO vs. AA. Wowsers! 150 milliAH which should be enough for a single rudder servo is around 5 grams total. Depending on brand and composition, AA's can be as much as 29 grams EACH.

Amazon, here I come...Rabbit hole? WHAT rabbit hole? :congratulatory:

My grandson and family are moving back to Maine the end of the month. He has two boys 8 and 4 (my great-grandsons...duh...) and they'll be staying with us for a couple of weeks until they find a place. Gotta keep the little guys entertained.

(That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...)

Tony

Staff member
I told you, the rabbit hole is good. We are down here partying. We have burgers! lmao

PAUL E FOX

Okay, need a little help on the battery.

Receiver needs 4-6.5 volts. 7.4 seems to be standard.

Also need the right connector to attach it to the receiver. What is the proper terminology for the plug? Specific battery recommendation?

EDIT: Apparently, I was misinformed. Not seeing any weight savings with LIPO packs. Don't need the energy density, so not worth the money.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I guess we are sticking with the AA's then? As long as it is not too heavy to not sink the boat, it should work just fine.

PAUL E FOX

I guess we are sticking with the AA's then? As long as it is not too heavy to not sink the boat, it should work just fine.

That's the plan. Not really all THAT heavy, but there's a pretty limited amount of motive force available too. Itching to try it out, might have to find a big enough pan or tub or something. Kitchen sink ain't gonna get it done...

Tony

Staff member
I was going to say a pond on a calm morning would be perfect, but most ponds up there are likely still frozen over lol.

PAUL E FOX

I was going to say a pond on a calm morning would be perfect, but most ponds up there are likely still frozen over lol.

pond.jpg

My back property line is a fresh-water stream. There's a backwater pool that I can use. I have open water now. Problem is the wind. If it didn't blow the candle out, it would for sure blow the boat all over the place. March/April is pretty much ALWAYS windy. Might catch the odd hour here and there of calm, but that'd be pure luck.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I know the feeling. Same down here, in fact we just had a few days with some pretty high winds here in Oklahoma. Blew the neighbors trash into my yard then removed it lol.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Paul. Do you know anyone that has a above or in ground pool. Maybe a neighbor would be nice enough to let you try it out.

Top Bottom