noob here and new to forums any help welcome

Norny

Hello eveybody.
I'm knew to forums and rc heli's, infact I'm so knew my first heli hasn't even arrived yet.
I was persuaded to visit this site from watching rchelpdotcom's tube vids on DX6i setup and
thought if they're all as knowledgeable and helpful as this guy this is where i want to be.

Lee

Welcome Norny,
Very helpful bunch we are. What you got coming? All we want in return is lots of pictures and video evidence.
All the best Lee

Norny

This is a bit embarrassing as I haven't got a thing yet, I know this will sound bad but here I go. Last week a friend called to my place with a toy coaxial and I thought it was brilliant so I shot onto ebay and ordered a syma s800g. As my friend was a lot better than me as soon as he left I thought I'd be smart and research online for tips and short cuts to get better than he quicker.
This is where I am now after learning I made the first newbie mistake in buying a toy class heli not hobby. I hope all is not lost as I've read most off rchelicopterforfun website as I could. So now I want a 120sr and DX6i for Christmas that I hope the wife won't notice I've swapped it for the £15 Chinese machine. This is where I need advice am I trying to move too fast and being too ambitious?
My goal is according to the advice I’ve read is, the logical steps is a cheap coaxial then a fp heli and then a 450 class. rchelicopterforfun said “the align 450 plus is the best value for money to date”, but I wish to change this a little as living in Belfast I will be flying indoors more than out. Should I therefore get a mcp x first?

BOKI

Hi Norny; Welcome to the site ! We have very good RC guys who can help help you out with everything ! I am also in the learning class ! The Best on our site BOKI 5:00PM Thursday ILLINOIS TIME!

Lee

Hey Norny,
Just wrote you a long reply to your Private message but i think it didn't go through :( damn i hate when that happens. Let me know if you got it or not. If not i'll write it all again on here LOL :D

Norny

Cheers M8 I also need help in how forums work. After every post I must sign in again is this a security thing or refresh thing or am I not doing something wright?

stokke

Hello Norny, and welcome to the forum!

Actually a 120SR or MCPX makes poor beginner birds by my opinion. These birds are small, therefore very agile. Agility is not a quality your looking for when starting out, you want slow and steady :D

The best way to go, is something that doesn't cost too much (as you will crash a lot), and something that will stand some light crashes. Personally I started out on a Nine Eagles 228 and that worked out great for me.

When that is said, I will HIGHLY recommend getting a simulator. A simulator can actually "be" your first helicopter. If you train and master flying e.g. a 120SR on a sim first, you can go out and buy one when you're ready. I know, flying on the computer is boring compared to real life - but trust me; it'll save you a lot of frustration and money.

My two cents ;D Good luck!

Last edited:

Norny

Thanks for your reply I think I will get phoenix bundled in with my tx at Chritmas but till then I will be playing with the syma 800 does that count?

Lee

Anything with whirly things above it counts. :D Check at the top of this page where it says notifications. Its telling me i replied to you. did you get any PM's?

Norny

This is a very good experience for me you guys are so helpfull and quick. When i registered there was no london GMT which I thought was odd. I live in Belfast N.Ireland which is GMT 0. Also I have watched training vids and will try and be discplined in my beginner exercises.

Lee

I had one of those PiccoZ two channel things a few years back. That was the hardest thing i have ever flown :)

Norny

Hopefully this 800g comes next week I will send a pic just to let all you guys know im serious. Will practice till christmas and I will get the 120 but rest assured I will use a trainer aid and practice the flight school vids I watched on rchelicopterfun will the learning curve be too steep trying to learn this and Dx6i setup together?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

Don't be embarrassed mate, we've all been there. As for what to get, first up is a simulator. If you want to save $$$$$ in heli parts its the best money you'll ever spend.
Choices are. Phoenix, Realflight, Clearview, for windows. Heli-X for Mac. I have a Mac but i also have windows working on it so i'm just setting up Phoenix. Its the most popular sim and far cheaper than Realflight at about £70. And a lot of members on here have it, so you can fly online with them.
The best option for radio is the DX6I. Super easy to understand the menus, and can be used with all the great models from Horizon Hobby, Helicopters and Planes. There are other options if you want to go cheaper, but thats what most people serious about getting into the hobby start with.
For helicopters, I started with a 450 as my first one, but thats me. I would suggest the MSR X as a first heli. It will teach you all you need to know before going to the 450 size. Its light, can be bashed around and cheap to fix IF you do break something.
Spend a few hrs on the sim until you have reasonable control, then take that MSR X up and you should be golden.
If you need any other advice about other helis, radio, chargers etc.. just shout. Theres no need to PM me. put it in the forum so everyone can learn from this.
Post message in beginner hell forum and i'll paste this answer in too f you want.
All the best Lee

Norny

Can't wait to start making vids as last years hobby was photography and I bought an expsenive camera and lens. I just hope this latest hobby lasts as I have a garage full off failed ones LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

spelling haha

Norny

I think I've seen that on utube, love the music are you European?

- - - Updated - - -

don't answer that I'm starting to get into the swing off things and just checked out your profile UK, same here friend. Americans are advanced in most things but style and music except for Newyorkers who are up with the Eurotrash LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope that didn't sound to bad as I'm from Belfast I just meant London is the Hub. Most stuff comes out off there.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope I haven't offended anyone as cultures are different and wrightly so, sorry for that lapse in judgement.

Lee

Funny you should think the music is european. Its called 009 Sound System by an American called Alexander Perls, grandfather is German and went to University in London. So he's a bit of everything. Just like us here, one big happy family. :D

murankar

Staff member
Thats it Lee, now your trying to give him epic addiction quick.

Hello and welcome, this is a great site for all levels of pilots. Enjoy, btw we love questions, videos and pictures.

Tony

Staff member
:welcome1:

Thanks for joining up on Rc-Help.com. Just FYI, I'm the one in the videos. Well, my voice anyway.

Don't be embarrassed about the helicopter you just purchased. I have one of the cheap crap grade heli's hanging on my wall that got me hooked into this hobby. In fact, I have 3 of them. Just can't throw them away lol.

Get the DX6i, it will be one of the single best purchases you will make getting into the hobby. Second purchase, Get PHoenix Flight Sim. I say this because you are just starting, the cheaper sim is better, and you can use the spektrum or JR transmitters on teh sim. It's much harder to use them on realflight and I have found it doesn't work that well. Phoenix is the way to go IMO if you wnat to use the spektrum Tx, and it will be my next sim.

The first helicopter you should purchase for the DX6i is the BNF (Bind-N-Fly) Blade mSR-X. This single handily taught me how to fly a helicopter along with teh sim. It's the third best purchase behind the sim and DX6i.

If you are only flying indoors, a 450 is a bad idea. They are a little too big to fly inside. The mCP-X is the perfect inside CCPM helicopter as is the 130x. But, these are advanced 3D helicopters and are quite hard to fly.

My thoughts, get the DX6i with teh Phoenix sim if you can. This will teach you not only how to fly a helicopter over time, but it will also let you get used to the Tx as well.

If you have any questions at all, just post up in the forum. We are always here to help. Thanks again for joining Rc-Help.com!

Top Bottom