450 Nodding motion back

treff

My 450 is beginning to nod again and this time I think it is the batteries dropping off on power.
When I go into IU the the problem all but disappears. I usually fly for 5mins a battery. Nothing is
getting hot just warm. All my batteries are Turnigy 2200mHA 30/45c. Maybe it's time to change them.
Any other ideas would be welcome. Thanks

Lee

Do you have a voltage alarm Treff?
This will give you an idea of the voltage sag.
I tested a friends 2200mah battery on his plane the other day with my meter.
On a 'full' pack, I couldn't even throttle up for take off before the alarm went off.
On my charger, I have an Internal resistance gauge. This is great for seeing when your packs are getting past it.

treff

No I donot have an alarm Lee. Thanks for the reply. I did notice that when I pitch pump the motor does bog audibly so I believe that some of my batteries are getting
like their owner a bit long in the tooth. 2 of them are 15months old and I pretty well fly 3 maybe for times a week. Nothing to energetic and I fly for 5 minutes on a charge.
I was lucky last week up about 80, 90 feet and I heard the motor beginning to run down. Just made it. I have also re-equalized al my batteries. I do it when I charge them but
according to the charger manual you should do it also separately without charging. I will see what happens over the next week or so. Hows the Goblin ? bet your itching to get that
into the air. It looks fantastic and shame about the small cracking. Thanks again for the reply.
Being an old fart I have just found the thanks button DOH! My apologies to all when I have not done this in the past. Brain fade I'm afraid

Last edited:

cml001

Lol.. If u are in the market for batterys, try pulse.. Mine have lasted a year and a half now.. Still as good as the day I got them! Glaciers are suppose to be very good too..

treff

Thanks cml001 I will have a look at those. I'm getting to the stage with my flying that I need something a little better
than the HK450. I do like them, learned to fly helis with them but getting near the time for a change. Thanks

murankar

Staff member
I have run both gens ace and now pulse. Gens ace work really well and a definite solid pack. They take quite a beating and will last a long time. Down side for me are the wires. They seem to get frail after a while, like after a year of use. Other downer is they come pre soldered with connectors. If you change them make sure you do one wire at a time from start to finish.

Pulse are great packs also. I have not had enough time with them but seem to be doing well. Pros of these packs are the opposite of the cons with the gens ace. Wires are sturdy and seem like they will last a while and they come without connectors. Again make sure you complete one wire before doing the second. Each wire will have shrink tube on the ends to protect the pack.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:

sarconastic

I haven't been back at it long enough to wear a pack out yet, but I did ordered an "upgrade" pack from Banggood that came for my V912. I put my Battery alarm on it and went out to fly it after a full charge. Throttle up alone would trigger the low voltage alarm and then the servos would go nuts. With a little finesse I was able to finally fly it and cycle it a few times and now it is a good pack. Bit I can definitely see weak batteries causing all kinds of havoc.

I remember in the RC car days when a NIMH pack would start flaking you would get serious steering servo glitch. Most times ending in a trip to the garage/bench to replace parts after hitting the 'Not' so safer barrier.

Good Luck

Woody

murankar

Staff member
Also its usually a good practice to break in a pack. For break in just use about 50% of the packs capacity for about 5 to 6 uses. Don't do anything crazy just do some light stuff.

I have had 7 packs 3 gens ace and 4 pulse that i have done this to. Some say you don't need to but others will say do it.

Keep in mind that when packs get low and you put a high load on them they can sag below nominal voltage. This can cause issues also.

treff

Thanks murankar for the info. I did a rewire and still getting a small glitch. I am now suspecting the yep 45 esc so I will resolder all the joints again. I
found the wires to the Turnigy motors are not very good in the soldering dept so will change the wire and resolder.

murankar

Staff member
Logically i would work the esc connections to the motor and rx first. If your loosing system power then its something between the battery leads and the rx. Since you lost your motor and servo control i would suspect bad joints or bad esc and maybe both.

When checking your joints make sure they are somewhat shinny with no black bits in it. When temping the pieces for final connection make sure they are both real close in temperature. Make sure you make quick work with the soldering iron.

Top Bottom