• Option 2

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Option 3

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure by now all of you know of the situation that my family and I have been sucked into. I'm also sure you have seen that I have not done any flying or videos (the last two that I uploaded were shot a while back). Well that all has to change because I'm going crazy.

I have three options that I can go for. Two are pretty cheap, but can't take them with me when I move, but if I play my cards right, option 3 will allow me to take it with me, bu twill cost substantially more. What is this you ask? A FRIGGIN OFFICE!!!

All of the work that I do with the site, all of the work I do on the helicopters, all of the work that I do just because, is at a desk. The house where I am staying now doesn't even have a kitchen table, and it's driving me NUTZ! When I wake up in the morning, I want to sit at a table with my coffee (OMG I LOVE Coffee!!!) and my lappy if I have to. I would rather have my dual monitor desktop computer, but I will take what I can get right now. But I can't have ANY of that since there is NO friggin table.

So what's the solution? Build my own FRIGGIN OFFICE!!!

Option 1
Quite a few years back when I was racing cars and trucks, I needed a place that I could work on them. I didn't want to take up any space in the garage, so I thought, there is a shed that has very little in it. So I cleaned out the shed, ran all new electrical wiring, hung new lights. leveled out the floor and poured concrete in it. From there, I added a desk, and a small shelf. It worked for what I needed it for. Simple, but effective.

At this time, there is a bamboo chair that I have NO idea where it came from (an ex I think lmao), my desk and a number off trophies, plaques and ribbons from when I was racing. There was more, but I donated some of the trophies and stuff back to the owner of the track so that he didn't have to buy any more of them since they are pretty expensive. But I was usually the one that would win it back anyway lmao.

so this shed is about 8'x10' or so with about a 6' celing. It's not that big, but can do what I need it to do. Again, there is a concrete floor in it so that is a huge bonus. BUT, this shed is infested with wasps. There are 3 pretty big nests in there that have about 50 wasps on them each. Killing them is as simple as waiting until night fall, spraying them and destroying the nests. Then, I will need to fill the hole that they are coming in through, which was a hole for a fan. I will be putting an AC unit in that hole so that I'm not baking out there and neither is my wife.

The other things I need to do is completely seal every hole in the place, install insulation and put up some kind of wall turning this shed into an office. All in all, I think I can do it for about $300-$400.

Option 2
We have a garage that is just a single car garage. Well, actually it's a LARGE storage shed with a loft. This garage was purchased specifically for a 1964 Chevy Corvair Convertible which I don't know where it is now. Yeah, they purchased this large shed JUST for a car. lmao. It was a REALLY nice car.

At this time, this thing is PACKED with all of my stuff. Well, some of it. The rest is in the two car garage and yes, ti's full as well. The wife and I are going to be going through all fo this stuff and find out what to keep, what to toss and what to sell. Yes, the "Vair Garage" is where all of my Rc stuff is, somewhere, at least most of it. I know my helicopters, Tx and charger is in there anyway.

So as stated, this garage has a Loft in the very front of it. It's not big, but it's there. I think the loft comes out about 6' from the end of the garage. So, that would give me an office space under it of about 6'x12'. More than enough room to set my desk up, and I could install a simple door to access it instead of opening the big double doors. A bonus to this would be, we could add a futon to the loft and just use that as a place to crash at night. You can't stand up up there, but you can lay and sit up easily.

My idea is to take that loft, built a wall to enclose in the under side of it. Building a wall is pretty easy. Insulate all of it and again, put up some kind of sheeting to make it look good. And again, there will be a wall unit in the office area as well as the loft area to keep us cool.

This option is going to run a bit more since I will have to build the wall and there is another space above it. I'm guessing $500-$600 when it's all said and done.

Option 3
This is the option that I REALLY want to go with, but it's also the most labor intensive and expensive of the options. And that is to just build my own little office the way I want it. I'm thinking something that is about 7'x16' with 8' walls and a 12' peak. Why 7'x16'? Because I can just slide that sucker up onto my trailer and take it anywhere I want to go. So when we move out of this place, I can take it with me. No over sized permits needed!

This building I would like to do out of 2x6 lumber just for the extra insulation value. I would also like to do some sound deadening to this one so it's quiet inside it :shhh:

Again, it will have wall AC units (maybe two, most likely just one big one), and more than enough space to house two desks, shelves, places to hang the helicopters and planes and most importantly, a place to keep my sanity!

I don't have all of the details worked out on this one, but from what I can gather, I'm looking at about $1500 to build this where I want it. Yes, that is a LOT of money, but this thing is going to be like a home away from home. I mean, my coffee pot is going to be in this one! My Ro/Di system is going to be in it, and if I spend a lot of time out there, my aquarium is going to go out there (another good reason for the 2x6 joists lol). It will not be a house, but it will be DAMN CLOSE!

So those are my three options. My question to you all is, what option would you choose if you were in my situation. With all options, I will more than likely add a futon so that I can just crash out there. It's quieter than the house. With all options, my coffee pot will be out there and so will my ro/di unit. Hell I may even put my fridge in there and a microwave. Turn this thing into an efficiency apartment lol. doubt I will go that far, but dude, that would be cool lmao.

So in the poll, choose option 1, 2 or 3 and explain why. Dont' just explain and not vote, and dont' just vote and not explain please. I need good ideas on why I should do one way or another.

Slobberdog

Well Tony I think you done most of the explaining, but options 1 + 2 you invest to loose money in the long run, option 3 as you said you will pick up and move, plus the first two would put your OCD in overdrive as you would want to try to get it the way you want it, that is when the cost will start to creep up,

You got to have a den and if you build the whole thing yourself it will be done properly to your spec,

I know its more to get going but it would be worth it in the long run,

Tony

Staff member
I actually just talked to the wife, and although we "might" have the money to do the big one that we can move, we need something pretty quick. Like this weekend lol. As stated, I need a place that is cool that I can sit and drink my coffee. This morning when I got up, I made my coffee, grabbed my lappy and went out onto the deck. Yeah, it was already 91º out there and I was sweating my butt off and the flies, HOLY CRAP the flies were horrible.

The thing is, I'm still torn between option 1 and 2 for an immediate place to rest. Option 1, I have to kill the wasps, seal the holes and just clean it up. About a days worth of work. Option 2, I have to move all of my crap, organize it and get the area clear, but there are no wasps. Again, about a days worth of work.

I do agree though. Long run, I will go nuts with the other two and keep dumping money into them. It will be nice when we find a house to have something that is built that I can store all of my RC stuff in. Not only that, but a place that I can go when I want to be alone with my RC stuff, and is quiet so that I can do videos, write articles and so on.

Yup, I'm still torn hahahaha.

Karubah

Tony, I have polled option 3. I think that by using something that is portable it gives you a ready made " office " no matter where you go. I don,t know if in the US you are allowed to use old shipping containers but here in Aus you can pick up a fully insulated refrigerated 20 x 8 shipping container for around $1200. Do not know if you have thought of this option or not and they are very easy to move. Cheers

Tony

Staff member
I have thought about the shipping containers, but just the bare containers are about $2500. Insulated are $3500-$5000. For that kind of money, I can have an awesome office built out of wood that is lighter and easier to move. I have no way to haul a steel container. I have the license to do it, just not the equipment

Karubah

Yes I thought that you may have already thought about the container option. Man, they are a it silvery over there. I hope that what ever option you decide on it all comes together very soon for you.

wolfman76

Well i vote option 3 but!!!! Would it be an option to go with option 1 as a temporary solution and build option 3 i know it would be a little more BUT more more what you want. That is what i would do but i would only put enough $ into option1 to get by till the permanent option 3 was completed...

Tony

Staff member
Why option 1 and not 2? Just trying to get some ideas.

Another thing I need to add to option 1 is I would have to use big double doors all the time that don't seal very well. So i would have to seal the doors somehow which is not going to be easy.

Stambo

I think the best short term option is the first one. Quick, easy, cheap and recover your sanity.
Then keep option 3 in reserve for the long term. Also means time to think what you want and get it right.
That way you won't go nuts looking at the limitations of option 1 and keep spending on it.
Just my thoughts, good luck whatever you decide. :)

Tony

Staff member
Right on, thanks for the clarification. I do think option 1 would be the quickest even though I have to do it at night to kill the wasps. I HATE wasps. And they hate me, it's mutual. But, the hole is already in the wall for the AC, there is concrete laid, but there are also a LOT of gaps for critters to get it that option 2 doesn't have. See, this is what I keep fighting myself on lmao. I can also access option 2 a little easier. But option 1 is cheaper, or should be. UGH, dammit.... this is NOT helping to get my sanity back lmao.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I picked option 3. I like the idea of it being portabul. Thus taking it with you when you move. Spending my money on some ones property that I do not own dosen't set right with me. Plus I think in the end you will regret not having room enough to stand up!

Tony

Staff member
I will have room to stand up in any of the 3 offices. Under the loft in option 2 is about 6.5' clearance. The other shed, option 1 has about the same height.

One thing that I did not mention is this is my grandmothers property. As much as I don't want to think about it, nor have it happen, but I get this property when she passes. So, any work that is done here will ultimately be mine in the future. However I'm sure I will just sell the property since I don't really want to live down here. Hell, I might just rent the place out. Not sure yet.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Could of swore you said 6' head room. Oh well I'm losing it tonight. Sleep depraved! Lol still though its a bigger work area and I think you will like it better.

murankar

Staff member
+1 wolfman. Not sure how to vote. I would take option one as a short goal then option three so it can be moved. If time is that sensitive then go option 1.

Tony

Staff member
Not sure how to vote? You just click the option you choose and click vote.

Somewhere around nightfall, I will start spraying option 1 to kill the wasps. From there I will plug the hole and so on. As for the rest of the day, I'm going to be cleaning out option 2 so that I can at least get the 600 out and hopefully have a flight today or tomorrow. doubt it though.

pvolcko

Voting 1. It sounds like this is not your permanent home plan, so no reason to go making larger scale renovations to the garage. Option 3 is nice, but might as well build it on a trailer if you're going to those lengths, that way you can bring it to the field and just live there. :) And once you get to your more permanent home you may find no need for it or want to build something similar attached to the house, or whatever. Better to go cheap and quick than dump the money into option 3 and maybe not need or want it when you get where you're going.

Tony

Staff member
Here is the thing with option 3. It will be built on skids and will be able to be winched up onto my 16' utility trailer for transport. It will be inside the rails and will not be over 12" tall at the peak so I will not need permits to move it myself. So no matter what, I will be able to put it where I want, when I want.

As for not needing it, it can easily be turned into a storage unit. Climate controlled storage unit at that. Fully insulated walls, 8000-10,000BTU AC unit with heat, Yeah, this thing could be an apartment when I'm done with it, just no plumbing lmao.

And if I ever did find the need to not need it, I could sell this thing for about $7000 since it would be a GREAT work shop for someone doing small scale projects. But I doubt that would ever happen. I think something like that would be perfect for my vinyl stuff, rc stuff, and so on.

With that said though, I do have an update to the thread.

Today I started clearing out option 2 trying to get to the front so that I could clean the carpet that is up there and get some desks put in. It's just in much better shape than option 1. So 4 hours into it, I had made it about half way down the 20' garage. Not even close to my goal that I thought would only take about 2 hours. At that time, the wife woke up and we decided, even though the sun was up and the wasps were pissed off (as usual), we would go into option 1 and start clearing it out. Worst case, we would just use it for storage.

Well, after getting the dirt that the gophers put in there (I"m talking about a lawn tractor trailer FULL of dirt), killing all of the wasps, and getting the lumber out of there, we had a pretty decent size office space. And, concrete floors. But, I kept questioning it. the east wall is rotted all to hell, there is places where spiders can get it (not that I have a problem with them, but where they can get in, so can everything else.

Screw it, keep cleaning. Decided to go into the big garage (not an option as an office) and battle the wasps and try to find my saw. After killing about a dozen wasps in there, I found my saw and we cut the hole in option 1 larger to fit a window unit air conditioner. Got that mounted and cranked it up. Yeah, this one is NOT going to cut it. IT's way too hot in there for that little guy.

Ah well, we left it on and decided to dig a large desk out of the big garage. Yea, more wasps, and we had our hands full. Talk about duck and run with a heavy ass desk over your head. Finally made it out of there with teh desk, and put it in option 1. Now the wife has a place to do her work.

At abotu this time, I had a lot of stuff out of option 2 and with a LONG stick, I could reach my helicopters. the 450's were in the VERY back of the garage, so got the long stick, put it in the skids, and pulled, fully expecting to break something. Nothing broke, scored two helicopters. Time to get the ladder. I was smart and put the 600 up where it would NOT get hurt. This is my baby. Screw the clones, I have to protect the 600N. Got it down.

Hung up my handing stick that I had in my old house in option 1, and boom, my helis are hanging there proudly. I still do not have my Tx or the charger case with my batteries, but I know where they are. As well as where my tools are. I do NOT however know where my spare parts are or any of the crap that was on my desk. I know it's all in a box, and it was all just thrown in there. Yeah, lots of time to spend on that.

But long story made not as long as I can make it because I'm on a roll typing, I have chosen option 1 as my "quick fix". Teh wife is picking up some expanding foam right now and we are going to seal this thing up. I will need to get some insulation and seal the eves, but that is as simple as pushing it in there to block air flow.

Option 2 may come to light in due time, but I doubt it. Option 3 however is more than likely going to happen though. I like the idea of having my own little personal area that is exactly the temp I want it no matter what it is outside, and I can work in peace. Damn right it's going ot have about 17 locks on teh door. NO ONE is getting in there lmao.

So there is your update to what I have chosen at this time. IT's a little tight since I think option 1 is a little smaller and harder to work with than 2, but I think it will get the job done. I will post pictures of the helicopters hanging in there new home here in just a second.

Top Bottom