Motors Nitro vs Gas

Other than the difference in the fuel they use and the different ignition systems, what are the differences? What engine would be best for 1/4 scale and larger planes?

Tony

Staff member
IMO, gas hands down. Gas makes more power, there is less smoke, no oil mess (except when mixing the gas) and the gas is MUCH cheaper. Fro anything over 60" wing, it's gas all the way for me.

Tony

Staff member
Derek, nitro runs off of a glow plug like a diesel and gas runs off of an ignition system with a spark plug like your car.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm using gas from now on no more nitro planes for me except may be a 700 nitro pro! Lol. Anyways from now on plane wise gas!

Thank you Tony. I felt that may be the case. The smallest gas motor I could find was a 20cc and it is still swinging a 16" prop.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I have a pair of DLE 20's that I'm using to power my F7F Tigercat and it has a 74" wingspan.

- - - Updated - - -

They do make smaller engines though.

Thank you Lee. I fly at a small, sparsely used, municipal airport surrounded by farmlands. The sound factor is not an issue.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If you look where it says 4c those are nitro motors listed. Below that are gas engines listed. I would go with a gas motor myself.

I am going to start the build on a Telemaster Senior after the first of the year. I already purchased a Thunder Tiger 61 and will used it as a power supply. After hearing all the good things about gas engines I should have gone with a gas motor. My next build will be with gas.

Top Bottom