1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Kits Nitro/gas Powered Trainer

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by fireman7234, Jun 1, 2019.

< Xk Edge A-430 Review & Flight | P-40 Warhawk Build Thread >
  1. fireman7234

fireman7234 Member

Blog Posts:
    Electrician/Firefighter
    looking to step up to a nitro/gas powered plane been flying foamboard electrics for 2 years asking everyones opinions what would be the best nitro/gas powered trainer to start out with that want break the bank. looking at ARF kits thanks in advance

2. fran11784

fran11784 Member Goblin 380 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if you can still get one but the Great Planes Avastar is a great flying plane. I bought one ready to fly for under 400 bucks. I think like 330. Came with everything but I didn't use the transmitter or receiver. So it was like a BNF... IMG_0346.JPG
    T

3. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    A budget would help out in getting you a plane. I would start with nitro just to keep costs down. Yes, it's messy, but it's cheaper than going with a gasser. The one above is a great kit. I believe there is a version of that one that is a kit build rather than an ARF. So if you want to build a kit, that option is there. If you want an ARF, that option is also there. Just depends on what you want and what kind of budget you have. And don't forget about fuel cost. With the crap going on with China right now, nitro prices are higher than they have ever been.

4. fireman7234

fireman7234 Member

Blog Posts:
    Electrician/Firefighter
    trying to keep it around $500.00 price

5. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Kit, ARF or RTF?

6. fireman7234

fireman7234 Member

Blog Posts:
    Electrician/Firefighter
    probally ARF but Avistar Elite RTF is only $399.99 could always swap out tx and rx for mine. the one thats comes in kit is not computerized

7. Tony

Blog Posts:
    The kits would be just a kit. You would have to include all of your electronics. The one pictured above looks to be a flat wing trainer, which if you are comfortable flying the foam planes should not be a problem. If you want a little more stability, look for one that has some dihedral in it. It will help with keeping it upright. But, if you want to fly inverted or do loops and rolls easier, then stick with the flat wing.

8. fran11784

fran11784 Member Goblin 380 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Avastar comes ARF too. To be honest the Tactic servos that come on the RTF are not very good. With the ARF, you can pick your servos, rx and engine and the price would still be in your budget. But there are others. Like Tony said if you don't mind building and covering..... I'm really bad at monokote.. One of the guys in my club has a Avastar with a big electric motor and it's pretty aerobatic for a trainer with that power plant

9. fireman7234

fireman7234 Member

Blog Posts:
    Electrician/Firefighter
    I was looking at the ARF kit like the option of pick my electronics and motor plus it already has the covering already on it but everywhere online is on back older except the RTF kit

< Xk Edge A-430 Review & Flight | P-40 Warhawk Build Thread >