Cars Nitro engine for an offroad truck

OxThorxO

Hello,

I'm looking into buying a nitro engine for an offroad truck, someone I know is going to the United States next week and I'm looking into buying the engine, ship it there and then back to me.

I posted a question on a video from You tube from this site about what transmission i could buy that had reverse and the engine size that could go with it for an 1:8 rc.

A 3.3 engine was suggested, i went to ebay/amazon looking for the engine and there are countless options...i wanted to know which brand would be decent, I don't have the money right now to buy something extremely fancy, but i would like a decent performance quality.

I was looking at something like these:
Turbo 1 8 28 Nitro RC Engine Motor Losi LST2 LST HPI Savage x SS XL 21 25 RTR | eBay

My apologies if posting links is not allowed, I'm still not done reading the site rules, will do soon though.

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
I have never heard of that engine so I have no experience with it. When I stated the 3.3, that was just one of many engines out there. In all reality, you could get a .21 and make the same power. My favorite engines are OS and Novarossi with the latter being way more powerful but also more expensive. With the big names you know what the engine metals are made up with and you know they will last as long as you take care of them.

And yes, you can post links. The only rule we have about that is no links for personal monetary gain. For those, you would need to become a sponsor of the site. We are about to redo the rules (terms of service) for the site in which they are going to get much more relaxed. Not that they are not now, but in text they will get more relaxed. Just post up and have fun!

OxThorxO

Thanks, i had a look at the two brands you recommend, O.S looks solid but a bit pricey, at least until my next promotion :). Novarrosi looks cool and within budget for this piece 150ish usd.

I found 3 different Novarossi 3.5 cc, they all look pretty simillar to me..

In order of preference according to what i "See":

Novarossi Top Elite 21 Off Road 5 Port Engine Turbo Plug Steel Bearings | eBay

Novarossi 3 5cc Off Road Pull Start Engine Steel Bearings NVRN21B3PS | eBay

Novarossi Rex Revenge 21 Off Road Engine Turbo Steel Bearing 3 Port 3 5cc | eBay

What do you think?

I get the impression that only of those is gonna come with the pull start...but anyway i will need to buy the exaust and other bits...so I would add it to the cart next month.

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Stay away from the turbo plug for now. They can be a little tricky. The last one with 3 ports should work pretty good. More ports means more rpm but less torque. Less ports = more torque which is what you need for offroad. And yes, you will need the exhaust, flywheel, clutch and so on to get it going.

OxThorxO

Thanks for the recommendation, just placed the order for the third one!

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...gine Turbo Steel Bearing 3 Port 3 5cc | eBay

I'm looking at your video series on the couple used cars. Looks nice. Do you have any tutorial on what are all the pieces (exhaust, flywheel, clutch etc)I need to get this engine part working?

I needed to place the engine order so I over asked help, but for the other pieces I can read a bit and try to pick the parts without causing so much trouble.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, messed up the link, this is the correct one:
Novarossi REX REVENGE .21 Off Road Engine Turbo Steel Bearing 3 Port 3.5cc

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure exactly what parts you will need. When you get the engine, it should come with instructions on what parts to use on it. Just remember, these engines are usually meant to be bump started with a starter box so you may have to adapt a pull starter or a Tiger Drive to it to start it a different way. But the best thing to do for the flywheel, clutch and so on is to find out what they mention in the instructions.

OxThorxO

All right, that sounds fair, I'm out of town working for a couple weeks, the engine will be waiting me when i return. I'll get a hold of the manual and find out. I'll have a look at the Tiger Drive stuff you mention in the meantime. Thanks.

OxThorxO

Lucky me..the store i bought it from ebay actually sold on their physical store the last novarrosi rex i bought, they are offering the one as indicated below, would it be ok to take that engine?

Reply from seller:

Hi very sorry but we have sold out of this engine in our shop. We can sell the Novarossi Paloma for this same price if you are interested. The power specs on the Paloma are higher than the Revenge.

TECH SPECS for Paloma .21:

Displacement: 3,49 cc
R.P.M. (max power): 35.800 RPM
Practical range: 6.000-40.700 R.P.M.
Bore x stroke: 15,88x17,60 mm
Sleeve: 7 ports
Rear ball bearings: steel
Front ball bearings: steel
Carburetor: aluminium - 9 mm - slide
Glowplug: Turbo (C6TGC)
Exhaust position: rear

Tony

Staff member
You can use it, but 7 ports will be a little harder to tune for offroad racing. I guess it's worth a shot.

Top Bottom