Batteries NIMH to LIPO upgrade

I have a 4 channel Wing Dragon glider/trainer. It came RTF with a NIMH 9.6v, 1000maH battery and a 30A brushed ESC. The flight times are around 3 minutes, the plane appears a little under powered and the battery is a bit warm after the flight. I really dislike NIMH batteries. What I would like to do is change out the 9.6v, 1000maH for a lipo 11.1v 1300maH battery. Is there any thing else I have to change to use the lipo? I didn't spend a lot of money on the plane to start with and it isn't the best flier I've ever seen so I really don't want to tie up a lot of money trying to make it fly right. If I didn't already have the lipo I wouldn't make the switch. What the heck, with a bit more power it might make an ok aerobatic trainer.
AT-22032-WindDragon4-24G-03.jpg

AT-22032-WindDragon4-24G-03.jpg

Tony

Staff member
A 2s pack is going to give you 8.4vDC, so that will actually be a bit slower. The only real option here is to go 3S, but max power on that is 12.6vDC. If you do this, use EXTREME CAUTION! Fly it for a minute, bring it down and check everything for over heating. If you see smoke, then it's time for a brushless upgrade that can handle it lol. Hope this helps.

murankar

Staff member
I was going to suggest just doing an upgrade to a brushless system. That way you get what you want on power source. Other than that there is not many options.

Hmmmm. Thanks gents. I will have to give this a bit more thought. I may be better off in the long run to purchase another plane to learn aerobatics on.

Tony

Staff member
Aerobatics, you need a mid or low wing plane. The 50" Edge 540 is a GREAT plane to learn on. Very stable. No pun intended on the "GREAT Plane" since it is the GreatPlanes Edge 540T lol. I love that plane.

Wow!! The Edge 540T is a lot of plane. It appears that it can fly slower for us old fogies or go ripping through the air for you young whippersnappers. While I no longer have the lightening reflexes, required for 3D, that plane looks like it would work well as a pattern flyer. Thanks Toni, I will keep that one in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture and a link for the Edge 540T.gpma1572-main.jpg
http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1572.html

gpma1572-main.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Please stop calling me Toni, I'm not a girl lmao. But yes, that is the plane that i have and it has EXCELLENT slow flight characteristics.

Top Bottom