General Next Step From A Blade 120sr

Troy Flamisch

Hi,

Just wanted some advise as to where I should go next after learning on a Blade 120SR. Only new to choppers as I have always flown fixed wing. I was looking at the ALZRC Devil 450 but not sure if that's appropriate. I like building and I suppose if I build a kit I will have a better understanding of how it all works. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Troy

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hi Troy, I feel like that would be a decent size jump from a 120 but do-able. For the price of those ALZRC combos not a bad choice but I cant comment on the quality of those machines since I've never had one. Others may. I think Tony did a build video on one of those you should check out... Cheers

Tony

Staff member
I have the Devil 450, and have a few videos on it. For what it is, it is the best "Bang For Your Buck" that you can get with a 450. You can get cheaper kits, but they have way worse quality control. Below is the link to the one that I have.

ALZRC Devil 450 Pro FBL Kit Empty Helicopter DIY Part

If you want the full parts breakdown on what I have on that helicopter to make it absolutely awesome!, then let me know and I can post all of those as well.

Admiral

I would recommend going straight to the 450 size, I mucked around working my way up and didn't really see great improvement until I got to the 450 helicopters.
Although I must say my building and repairing skills improved with the number of small helicopters I crashed through that period.

murankar

Staff member
I am not sure what your looking for in a heli for size. While I agree that a 450/380/360 class as the next step. I also look at whats going to make sense for growth in the future.

If your interested in a decent 360 kit look at the Gaui X3, its barely north of $200 USD.

Another route is the ALSRC Devil 420. I ike the idea of the bigger kit with a crash cost of a smaller kit. A lot of the 380 parts make up the 420. Your also getting a kit that is bigger and more stable with a bigger flight envelope.

jacobcreek

I have the Devil 450, and have a few videos on it. For what it is, it is the best "Bang For Your Buck" that you can get with a 450. You can get cheaper kits, but they have way worse quality control. Below is the link to the one that I have.

If you want the full parts breakdown on what I have on that helicopter to make it absolutely awesome!, then let me know and I can post all of those as well.

+1 get the Devil 450, it's cheap and you have the support of Tony if you need help building it.

Troy Flamisch

Hi Tony
If you could post the full parts break down that would be appreciated. Im running a Spektrum DX7 with AR7000 receiver, I assume that will be sufficient.?

Tony

Staff member
The DX7 will be just fine, but you will not need that AR7000 Rx. You will be using a flybarless controller and on a helicopter this size, I strongly suggest getting the Satellite adapter for the gyro so that you don't have to have that large receiver on the helicopter with the gyro. Less wiring so less headaches.

The only thing I didn't include is the motor and ESC in that list. A good hobbywing 40a will do great and you should be able to find an Align or Scorpion motor out there used for really cheap. Just make sure the ESC can handle the motor.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Troy. If your interested I bought a brand new in the box still AR7200BX FBL unit that I was going to install in a TSA 600E Pro til I had to send back the heli :) PM me if you would like it.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Troy. If your interested I bought a brand new in the box still AR7200BX FBL unit that I was going to install in a TSA 600E Pro til I had to send back the heli :) PM me if you would like it.

Opps for a cheap price :)

Tony

Staff member
That would make for a great gyro on that helicopter! It's a little large, but it can work and they do work great!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well i have the AR7200BX on my scale 450 coastguard and my GauiX3 plus the AR7300BX on my 500 :) They all fit fine even on the 450.

Tony

Staff member
Absolutely, they do fit. I just like putting things inside the frame so I don't have to look at wiring lol. But on top of the tail boom is great and works perfectly.

Eggy 71

I agree with all the options offered up so far. If you are wanting to build pick one of those. If you want to improve your flying skills to inverted and mild 3D, a blade 230s that has all the 3D features plus bailout should be considered. With the next step of learning flying skills, there is going to be crashes and the 230s is both simple to repair and cheap in comparison to the others. I love practicing maneuvers on mine as the confidence flying that heli can't be beat.

Troy Flamisch

The DX7 will be just fine, but you will not need that AR7000 Rx. You will be using a flybarless controller and on a helicopter this size, I strongly suggest getting the Satellite adapter for the gyro so that you don't have to have that large receiver on the helicopter with the gyro. Less wiring so less headaches.

The only thing I didn't include is the motor and ESC in that list. A good hobbywing 40a will do great and you should be able to find an Align or Scorpion motor out there used for really cheap. Just make sure the ESC can handle the motor.
Hey Tony,
I bit the bullet and bought the devil 450 empty kit. Haven't got all the parts as yet and will need a few tools before I start to pull it apart and rejig like you have. Just wondering why you recommend the Tarot rotor head when your build threads don't show it. I've watched them all and no mention. Also would wheel bearing grease work in the thrust bearings. Do you use only the one type of thread lock on your models ie blue.

Eggy 71

Hey , congrats on your purchase. It a great hobby especially the builds. It keeps you thinking constantly. Thrust bearings dont move like wheel bearings do. That grease is really thick. Thrust bearings just move a few degrees back and forth. Use a silicone grease or something of similar viscosity. Something much thinner, there should be no resistance at all.

Tony

Staff member
The reason i say to use that Tarot head is because my head had a little issue. The hole was drilled in the head 8mm too low making it good for a DFC shaft, but not the FBL shaft the kit came with. This caused the linkages going from the servos to the swash to be too short. Below is the video on how I fixed the head, but know if you do not get that hole PERFECT!, then it will not work correctly. It's easier to just get the Tarot DFC head.

But, I would get the kit in first and check the linkage lengths before ordering the head. If the head is drilled correctly, or they gave you the correct main shaft, then you will not need the Tarot head, and you can just order Align Pro V2 head parts if/when you crash it or want to upgrade.

And yes, I use regular axle bearing grease on my thrust bearings. Never had an issue other than putting too much in there lol.

Top Bottom