orbi

Hi Ive just got here, just signed up. Im a total novice , trying to get mobile, not flown yet, ( vertically challenged) so far. lol
Im in the process of re-building my Pro. Ive not long bought it second hand , wow im new to all this but im not surprised the guy couldnt fly it. Im taking my time and learning all the time.
Hows things

Graham Lawrie

Hi Orbi, Welcome to the site from Scotland:) Great bunch of guys on here , very helpful. Post up your pics of what you have got. We all love to see them. Plenty of good videos of builds etc. What models do you have. Graham:)

orbi

Hey thanks for the welcome guys....
Im in Rugby west Mids. I got a 450 Pro and a 450 Plus that is 6weeks old about. I have spent all day adding a 80amp ESC and all new servos Its taken me 2 hours setting up the swash mix and subs on the cyclic. I had the srvos zero and horns at 90o I took ages getting it right. Then after a series of off and on with power etc the elevator horn was way out off 90. Grrrr the arms are in a bad place to adjust so its taken me a lot longer than I expected. I had to remodel the front to get the 80A ESC in but it was worth it. My sub trims numbers were zero on aileron 3 on elevator and 9 on pitch. they were like 49 and 62 but I adjusted the links , I worked out that a full rotation of a link is around 13 clicks on the subtrim.
Im new at this and been watching all the vids I can. RC-Help is really good. He explains stuff really simply and he will reply directly for you too. I got to find out now how to trim my tail the proper way. Godd luck guys

Lee

So Midlands Helicopters is your LHS :D I buy a few things from them.
1 question. Why did you go for such a big ESC on the 450? 80A is huge.

orbi

Hi mate. Yeah he he it is huge aint it. well I had overheating probs with the standard Align it was a 35 A with this one you get to programme it , like with a very soft start etc. I only paid £28 for it. Its a Platinum Pro !. I aslo got a bigger one for £2 more but its way too big for a 450 its really for a 600 or 700 bird I guess.
yeah I used to live in Hinckley ,Im gonna see my daughter there tomorrow. I only been in this about 6 weeks and already Ive rebuilt one from scratch. There are lots of things I gotta get a handle on but I recon I got most of the basics covered. Ive not flown yet!. but ive been thinking that if I have a few crashes its gonna cost me major.... but .... I got a good KDS autopilot it keeps the heli steady and if you get in trouble it brings itself to a hover! without a crash...how cool is that ! He he we,ll see ... Where you from mate?

Tony

Staff member
:welcome1:

If you have any questions at all, just post them up. We are here to help get you in the air. I HIGHLY suggest getting a sim. It will be the single best purchase you will make in this hobby.

orbi

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.... I recon ive spent around 400 hours in the last 2 months just watching stuff like RC_help and Freddy can fly etc. I installed that huge ESC in my rebuild , that took me about 3 hours I had to cut away the front end and make a platform to sit on top to hold the darn thing. Im so proud of it it looks real cool. Will post a few pics this week cos I aint got no time today.
Tony asked me yesterday to get here so here I am...I may have some daft questions for him lol. I guess you guys there in the old USA are asleep right now eh. catch you all tomorrow. Monday !( thats when the RC shops open up early as the crowds gather to fight and squabble in the rush to buy essential crash spares) mm mm interesting has anyone ever worked out what the essential spare list really is? what is most likely to go in a crash. Why cant the manufacturers make heli s with a standard head that fits all .... and parts that are common to all models.... and why are my servos buried in the deepest parts of my heli (Pro). If I only had the answers lol

Lee

Hey Orbi,
I'm originally from Loch Lomond just North of Glasgow, but we moved to Marlborough in Wiltshire when i was 15. Now i live in Spain with my wife. But we are moving again next month.

DAL2855

Banned
Orbi, it took me over 7 hours to properly setup the head and swashplate on my HK450GT Clone! So my hat is off to you for getting it done that quickly as a noob!

orbi

Yeah we live in hope that its done right! I figured one turn of the link rod is definitely 13 clicks on my spektrum subtrims so when i was like 63 clicks out i turned it about 5 times and subbed it on 2 clicks. I took it for granted that at the spec of 32.5 mm size on the linkages I took that as a starter so one of the cyclic s would hit the swash leveller tool so that would be zero on the sub, then I adjusted round from that. Am I right here?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah Dave thanks .... you gotta have the patience of a saint. wow its nearly 2 months and not flown yet

- - - Updated - - -

Dal2855 yeah just hope im right

- - - Updated - - -

Question 1

ive looked the manual on my Pro 450 Align and cannot see a grommet or an insert for the servo mounting process. Ive checked on-line but no one knows if they should have them or not. Ive just looked at my brand new Plus and there are no grommets there.
On my Pro that ive rebuilt I put the servos in without the grommets and they have torn the tabs in just 2 days without any flying at all. Im really stuck, why are they ok in my Plus model without em and not ok in my Pro?... baffled. Ive bought loads of cheaper servos and Align 410 and 415m but not one of them ever came with or has been recommended to fit them with a bush/grommet/insert.The holes are all different sizes too. Like Ive only ever seen a 3mm insert and grommet but the holes in a Ds410 are way smaller than that. What do you guys do? Im about to mount the servos for a third time and im nervous and running out of the folding stuff.

orbi

Just to add im right here !!! ive just had a look at horizon rc heli.com and seen their out of the box assembly of a Pro and that guy screwed the servos direct into the frame with a screw and metal washer direct wham bang...no rubber or metal inserts in sight. Cant even find any info what so ever on specifications or recommendations for the use of inserts and grommets in an Align servo ....

- - - Updated - - -

Ok
one last post on this..... I just watched RC-help.com video on the Pro V2 3gx build and he sure as hell did not use any grommets or inserts at all.... in fact I remember now using this video way back when I first mounted my new servos and they broke the tabs ..... again no recommendations for rubber grommets etc. Im not accusing or pointing fingers etc but all manufacturers seem to say no to grommets and metal inserts. especially Align.
Help .... what you think

Tony

Staff member
I am using them on the 600, but I dont use them on the 450s. Actually I dont use them on any electric. Nitro only.

orbi

wondering...... when a servo arm is working hard against a solid surface it transfers all the power to the arm... if a rubber bush and insert is used then is not some of the speed and power lost and absorbed in the rubber grommet and thus rendering the servo slower and less capable? its like jumping off a solid floor to get over a high fence or jumping out of soft ground of course its gonna be better off of a hard surface.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a secret :D

sssssshhhhh secret eh? well cant blame ya as you live in Spain the economy is way down there.... 10 yrs ago different story but the EU gave them access to so much unsolicited funds at minimal % return rates that they went crazy into building sports centres instead of schools and hospitals and proper infrastructure. \they were like kids in a candy shop and over spent on foolish things, now sadly many of those structures are no longer in use.
I think Europe will be in recession for decades, too much damage has been done this time.Germany will not be able to support them, she is the exception to all the rest who are sponging off her, she will crack or pull out.
Hey sorry Lee im banging on .... this is a heli forum not a Political one soz..

orbi

Ok guys this is the official word on the Align servos for a 450 ELECTRIC. They do not have bushes /rubbers/grommets/or inserts in any of the servos for electric helis in 450 range. Nitro helis do because of the vibration. The holes in the servo will only take a 2mm or M2 x 0.45 thread there is no way it will take a 2.5mm so all the bushes and grommets wont fit anyways. I have invested however in a 2.5 mm tap and plug that will cut a thread to the 2.5 size. Im gonna increase that hole size to cater for a better fit and with 2.5 metal flat washer ( will need to grind a flat to fit snug to the tab wall) should suit the job a whole lot better. at least it stands a better chance than a thinner bolt and smaller head size.

orbi

Yeah just been on to Align UK stores. Extremely helpful guys there Raj is very knowledgeable, oh that in no way is taking anything away from the knowledge you guys have...! knowledge is everything.! anyway here s what I got. grommets are only for nitro or bigger birds than 450. they do make and use a servo mount nut. Its a square black plastic block that sits behind the tab on a 450 Pro to mount the servo on.! thats official. it is part no. H45095. Also Align recommend that the Pro s have all servo horns bolted and NUTTED through the horn and ball. the ball linkages should have a longer thread shank Part no. is HN 6052 for reference only ( im not promoting sales or anything) just trying to sort one or two niggles out with building errors that I have personally come across. Also found out Align will not change a broken tabbed servo for anything. You can get a new top casing for £2.45 $4 ?? so dont throw away old servos like I did ..... duh ( stick your finger in your ear and say RED backwards) DER ! yep im stupid LOL.

Top Bottom