newbie from new england

studio398

hi, my name is Pat. i'm from central maine. just starting out in this hobby. been wanting to do so since i was 20, and i'm 56 now. it's about time!

i have purchased a sport cub s, and plan to learn on that first for a few months. i have also purchased a sport cub. that will be my next step up for a while. i will eventually put floats on it and fly it out at the lake. sounds like fun. also purchased realflight basic simulator and have been using that for about a month.

i won't fly an actual plane until may when it warms up. in the meantime, more sim time. also trying to learn my dx6i, as it will be used for both planes. i am also waiting shipment on two used hp server power supplies, the dps-600pb b. i will be making my own 1150 watt, 24 volt power supply. thanks for the write up and video, Tony! i feel very comfortable with this type of thing, so am looking forward to a fun project.

well, enough about me. nice to meet you all.

pat

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like you have a great start into the hobby. What charger are you going to hook up to that 24v setup?

As always, if you have any questions, all you have to do is ask. And be sure to post some pictures of those planes!

:welcome1:

studio398

for starters, i was going to get a reaktor 300 watt, 20 amp charger. then after a few months, i might add a 1000 watt, 30 amp as a "backup". LOL

Tony

Staff member
If you think you are going to need a 1000w setup, I would get it now. The charger that I use is the iCharger 306b, and I love it. The math on the balance output is not quite correct, but I have had no issue. I believe I ordered my charger at teh same place I linked to in the other thread.

Tony

Staff member
Tony, do you have an opinion on the reaktor 1000 watt charger?

pat

Being it's a Turnigy product, I have mixed feelings about it. I have a lot of money in my batteries and I don't want to chance them. And if 300w is all you need, and for $70, it may be worth a shot. Just remember, it's a MAX of 300w. So you are only going to get about 13 amps with a 6s battery. So if you are wanting to parallel charge 6s packs, for each pack, cut that number in half (as far as time to charge goes).

I myself, LOVE my icharger. At the very least, get the icharger 206, which is still a 20a charger and will charge 6s packs.

Here is a link on hobbyking for the 206b charger. iCharger 206B 300W 8s Balance/Charger

Top Bottom