450 Newbie Building 450L Dominator - Questions

ilikeplanes

Hi, I am getting to the late stage of the build and have a few questions I have not been able to figure out. Any help would be appreciated.

1. I am not sure if the control inputs are moving the swash-plate correctly, the wires are all connected correctly, so could this be something to do with the channel assignment on my DX6i?

2. Are there certain settings I must do on my DX6i for it function correctly with the 3GX?

3. I am connecting the Spektrum remote receiver to the 3GX. The back of the 3GX has an input for Throttle and an input for Battery. I am plugging the cable from the ESC into the Batter input on the 3GX. I am not sure what I should plug into the Throttle input as I have no other cables which are not connected. Is there supposed to be nothing plugged into Throttle on the 3GX?

Many thanks in advance.

Russ

Tony

Staff member
With a DX6i, you MUST run a separate receiver such as the AR6210. Your gyro gain is on channel 7 if you are only using satellites, and the DX6i doesn't have a channel 7 so you would not be able to adjust the gain.

Plug the ESC into the throttle port with the white wire, or signal wire, facing the label.

ilikeplanes

Thank you, I will try that now.

Any advice on the other Q's?

1. I am not sure if the control inputs are moving the swash-plate correctly, the wires are all connected correctly, so could this be something to do with the channel assignment on my DX6i?

2. Are there certain settings I must do on my DX6i for it function correctly with the 3GX?

Tony

Staff member
1. please post a video of what the servos are doing. Get a video showing throttle up and down, as well as elevator up and down, and aileron side to side. This will be much faster than trying to explain everything.

2. The only thing you need to do is set the swashplate to 120º 3 servo. If you have not watched my videos on how to set a helicopter up on teh DX6i, let me know and I will get you the links.

Tony

Staff member
Click the link below, then browse through the links on the left under "DX6i". There are many videos showing how to set up a helicopter on that Tx. Valuable information. As always, if you have questions just post them up.

Rc-Help - Spektrum DX6i

ilikeplanes

Awesome thanks for that. Below is a link to the video showing the control input problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

To me, it just looks like your elevator and aileron servo's need reversed in your DX6i

ilikeplanes

Thanks fixed that by changing the the Swash Mix to -60% on aileron and elevator.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I am trying to adjust the blade pitch to Zero at 50% throttle. I am using a digital pitch gauge and it reads 0.9 the other 1.9, how would I fix that? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify, each blade appears to be a different pitch off by about a degree.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, reversing the aileron and elevator will correct that issue.

When you are using a digital pitch gauge, you must always check pitch at the same direction you calibrated it to. If you have the helicopter sitting in front of you with the nose facing you, and you calibrated the gauge on top of the frame in front of the main shaft, then you can ONLY check pitch on the blade that is facing you. YOu can check it to the sides or the back. The reading will be different. HOpe this makes sense.

ilikeplanes

Ha! The 6S Dominator is VERY hyper,lol. I got to fly one last fall. It's an amazing machine!!! Massive Massive power!

Its not the 6S, its the 3S version.

Back to my question, so I measured the blade angles again based on the guideline from Tony and one blade is level the other is 1 degree out. I am not sure how to level the blade that is out. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Make sure your links from the blade grips to the swash are exactly the same length. This is the only thing that I can think of that would cause the different pitch on the two blades.

ilikeplanes

The step before checking the blade angles was to level the swash. The instructions said to adjust the links to get the swash level, so after doing that logically the links are not the same length anymore. Are we referring to the same links?

Ken Jackson

Did you use a swash leveling tool? Raise or lower one DFC link if your confident the swash is level then recheck

Ken

Tony

Staff member
The step before checking the blade angles was to level the swash. The instructions said to adjust the links to get the swash level, so after doing that logically the links are not the same length anymore. Are we referring to the same links?

If all of your servo arms are perfectly 90º to the links, all of hte swash to servo links should be the exact same length.

Top Bottom