General New to this site and forum and need some help

bangwings

Hello all r/c pilots,techs my name is Barry and im fairly new to 6 channel flying, I have 4 models all 450's 2 of them are clones, i purchased the DXi6 transmitter and recievers, 2 of the model are clones and were flying good until i got the DXi6 package, i like to build up my models and the problem im having with the first one is that it will not put pitch into the blades until about 90% throttle, full throttle maintains about a 12-18" hover i need to know if i need a manual undjust or through the DXi. The second 450 clone i installed the Orange reciever and cannot get my swash correct to my inputs, i've tried reversing, everything that im capable of. Example i'll move aileron right and the throttle or pitch slides down, if i move throttle up, swash tilts slightly forward and down to the left if viewed from behind, i know this is a great radio and i need someone to help me in getting it set up correctlty:culpability: to respond to the desired inputs i give it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Please Help!! It will save a 300 hundred dollar trip to the hobby shop and they would have them both purring in 5 mins.

murankar

Staff member
I am not sure about all of the stuff, but if you throttle up and all but one goes up; the one that went down needs to be reversed in the swash mixing. If it is at +60, you need to adjust it to -60. I am sure Tony "Tiny" :lol:, will be on in a few hours or some of the other more experienced addicts will be on to help.

Sorry I could not be of more help! Also Welcome to the forum and continue to ask questions.

Lee

Ok get all the servos going the same way with throttle input. Doesn't matter if its the wrong way yet, just as long as they all move together. This is done with servo reverse menu. Reverse the odd servo out.
Now that they are moving together we need to check that its the right way. If the swash is tilting or moving the wrong way, then go into your swash mix menu and adjust the number from + to - or vice versa.
For example
If when you give right aileron the swash tilts left, alter the Aileron swash mix from +60 to -60.
Good luck and let us know if it all works.

bangwings

Thank You, i will try to get all servos going in same direction through reversing and go from there, at least i will be getting somewhere! Thanks again!

wolfman76

trust me when i was learning i learned hard way about making sure swash is all move correct way i did not pay close enough attention to this being a newbie and crashed my exi 450 and my hk500gt first time out... think i would have learned off 450 first but i was new n thought i did sumthin wrong not knowing it was the heli itself...listen to these guys they know what they r talking about..

Tony

Staff member
Hello all r/c pilots,techs my name is Barry and im fairly new to 6 channel flying, I have 4 models all 450's 2 of them are clones, i purchased the DXi6 transmitter and recievers, 2 of the model are clones and were flying good until i got the DXi6 package, i like to build up my models and the problem im having with the first one is that it will not put pitch into the blades until about 90% throttle, full throttle maintains about a 12-18" hover i need to know if i need a manual undjust or through the DXi. The second 450 clone i installed the Orange reciever and cannot get my swash correct to my inputs, i've tried reversing, everything that im capable of. Example i'll move aileron right and the throttle or pitch slides down, if i move throttle up, swash tilts slightly forward and down to the left if viewed from behind, i know this is a great radio and i need someone to help me in getting it set up correctlty:culpability: to respond to the desired inputs i give it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Please Help!! It will save a 300 hundred dollar trip to the hobby shop and they would have them both purring in 5 mins.

I went ahead and moved this into the heli beginner help area. Please feel free to create another introduction thread. I try to keep all questions in the correct parts of the forums and not in the introduction. No worries.

Okay here we go. I have to ask this question first, Have you watched any of my setup videos or my videos on the DX6i? If not, stop reading and go watch them lol. Acutally I will post some of them that I think will help in here. the videos will give you a great understanding of not only the Tx, but also why everything seems backwards and out of wack.

I'm almost 90% sure that your blade pitch issue is with either your pitch curve or your head is not setup correctly. If you do not have a pitch gauge, get one before you fly again. You will never have a stable heli if your head is not setup correctly. First, unplug the motor from teh ESC and put the Tx into idle up. Now set your throttle to mid stick (50%). You should have 0º of pitch on the blades. If you don't, then start adjusting LINKS, not subtrim to get 0º of pitch. This is assuming the servo arms are at 90º to the links and the swash is level right now. Once you get 0º of pitch at mid stick, go to full stick and check your pitch, then go to negative pitch and check your settings. If you have more negative than positive pitch (I'm sure you do) then your swash is too low and you need to adjust your links to raise your swash up. If you have too much positive pitch, then shorten the links.

That should take care of the issue with the one that will only get up about a foot. Now onto the other one.

IMO, it's best to show you how to do this with the videos than explain it. I will post up some links and if they don't help. I will type up my normal book to help out. What Matt said above won't work. Swash mix will only reverse the action, not the individual servo. For that, you will use the Reverse menu. As Lee stated, get the servos working TOGETHER and don't worry about direction. If you can't seem to get them to work together, then swap the pitch and aileron servos in the Rx and try again. Setting up the heli takes forever IMO but if done correctly, it's worth it.

This first video is a playlist and has6 videos in it. All videos will total 1:19:11 but it's worth the watch from what my subscribers are telling me.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PL051C39CC09C6FAEB&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let me know if this helps. As stated above, if not, I will try to do a full writeup on how to do this. I really should save the writeup and make it an article lol. Hope this helps.

bangwings

Hello Tony and all, thank you all very much with your input. Tony, i did watch the whole video series twice before joining and posting my problem, your setup videos are one of a kind and great. But to all out there that own a DXi transmitter it is subject to internal problems as with anything electronic. After spending 15 hours straight and starting to feel rather stupid,This whole problem on the second model was the transmitter, the first one was as Tony stated above, my swash was fine as far as being level, put did not have the pitch set correctly, did manual adjustment on the lenghts of the rods due to swash being to high and changed the swash mix pitch from 60% to 98% and made just a few blade adjustments and it flies like a champ! The second model whitch i was setting up as model #4 on my radio is a totally different story, i don't know if anyone with a Sektrum has ran accross this before or not, but heres the scoop after tirelessly contiuning to solve the servos problem, i thought i had a bad aileron servo, so i changed it,walla, the servo was working now i was able to reverse and get all servos responding to the correct inputs, i took a break, powered off the model and the radio thinking i was close and down to the final tweaking, but when i turned the radio back on and powered the copter the problem duplicated itself again, the aileron servo would not move again, i swapped connections on the reciever, the servo started working again but the servo i swapped connections with on the reciever was not working, so i changed the Orange reciever to a specktrum 6115 and it was all working again, i powered off the copter then the radio then i powered both up again, the servo would not move again! So my shortcut on model reset was to change it to airplane mode then back to heli, i input all data again( i physically had written down each setting i had done) back into the radio, it was all working perfect again until i shut it off and powered back up again. That was it for me, i took it to my hobbyshop and to a man that knew these inside and out, what he did suprised me but not really him, he changed everything to model#5, totally leaving model#4 empty, everything worked, he powered everything off and back on, it was working fine. Conclusion, the Spektrum radio has a internal problem with model#4, he stated he had seen this once before with the DXi6 and Horizon had confirmed it. So if this ever happens to anybody, don't think you have lost it as i did, make sure you don't have a radio problem, Spektrum is great and is going to replace my radio, so i wrote down all 4 models info, so when i recieve the replacement i can just put in the settings for each model. This was a very much learning exp for me being a newbie and i hope it may help someone else in the future, again thanks to everbody and im sure i'll be back many times with different questions and issues. im about to fall over now due to mental and physical depletion, so i will post this update and get some rest knowing i can fly in the morning!

Tony

Staff member
Dude, now this is exactly why I wanted this on the forum and not in an email. I never in a million years would have thought it would be a Tx issue. While reading, I was like "it's not a Tx issue, it's a Rx issue" lmao. Then you swapped it out. I had never heard of this issue with the DX6i and I'm glad that you brought it up and posted it. Hope the new Tx is much better. Get some rest and lets see some video when you put them in the air!

bangwings

Hi Tony, This was quite an adventure, a learning one for sure. The sad part is that the problem was right in front of me, like you i never would of thought of tx issue,but through the process of elimination, proved to be tx issue, this problem stems from a software issue, it could effect any model# you choose, mine just turned out to be #4. since i had already programmed 3 other models, i would of never second thought the tx. it's been gusting forty mph winds outside here in Dallas, but i did hover around in my living room. Will be returning tx for exchange after the holiday weekend and hopefully i can get outside. I will update. Hope this will help someone in the future.

Top Bottom