Quad New to quadcopters

Callum

Hi guys, not posted in a while.

Have been thinking about getting a drone. Went to purchase a Mavic but was talked out it by a salesman instore, crazy I know.

Told him I started with a blade mcpx which I can fly no problems in tight spaces and moved onto a blade mcpx BL which I am still coming to grips with due to speed. His answer was that quad copters are completely different and I shouldn't spend so much until I have experience.

Personally I don't want to buy twice. Is it really that much of a benefit for me to purchase something cheaper?

Got me a bit paranoid.

Appreciate any advice.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
hum that's interesting. He talked you out of a Mavic?? I guess spending so much on your first drone might be a bit silly however, if your a responsible pilot and have a bit of common sense, I don't see how you can go wrong with a Mavic. There is a beginner mode that would stop you from flying more then 100 feet up or out from your self. Just my 2 cents. I've been flying rc helis for many years and the Mavic was my first drone. Hopefully other will give their thoughts.
Tony

Derek

I absolutely agree with Tony! If you can responsibly and safely fly a helicopter, then a Mavic should be no problems at all. My buddy has a Mavic and I've flown it. That thing is just "stupid solid" and insanely stable. My opinion, if you've got the cash and you know that you'll be ok with that kind of an investment....go get the Mavic. You won't be disappointed!!!

Callum

Cheers guys, that's made my mind up.

Thinking guy in shop just trying to be a know it all.

Something that hovers hands free must be so much easier to control than a CP heli where constant adjustments are required for stable hover and flight.

Off to order one, thanks for the advice.

Callum

hum that's interesting. He talked you out of a Mavic?? I guess spending so much on your first drone might be a bit silly however, if your a responsible pilot and have a bit of common sense, I don't see how you can go wrong with a Mavic. There is a beginner mode that would stop you from flying more then 100 feet up or out from your self. Just my 2 cents. I've been flying rc helis for many years and the Mavic was my first drone. Hopefully other will give their thoughts.
Tony
Tony, almost purchased but now getting a bit put off by reports of crashing in dji go app.

How is yours? Also seems My S8 is not supported so would need to buy a phone as well.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
sorry for the late reply, I fly with a full size ipad so not sure on anything else. As for the app, I use the go 4 app and haven't had and trouble at all.
T

Callum

Update.

Received Mavic and did not play well with S8. Repeatedly disconnected from aircraft.
Tried my Tab Pro 8.4 running kit kat, same issue but less frequent. Had a bit of a scare when it disconnected from phone and as I was bringing it back switched into Attitude mode although had good satellite coverage. If it had been further away I'm sure id have lost it as RTH does not work in that state.

Purchased an iPad 4 mini from eBay, no more disconnects but have lost GPS few times and aircraft started drifting quickly.
Calibrated compass and IMU but still happened every other flight.

Had no confidence in it so returned for full refund.

Stuck with an Ipad.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Its the same old story, they are mass producing these things. Not everyone is going to like it. With about 70 flights now on mine I've never had a single disconnect. I have flown it over a 1/4 mile from myself. I can say I've been though the same thing with other RC products people have sward by. Sorry about your bad experience.
T

Tony

Staff member
That is a bummer that you couldn't get it working. And I know full well what you mean by "Stuck with an ipad". I have one too that I never use lmao. Hell, the only reason I'm using this iphone is because the LTE is broke on my Note 4 lmao.

I have heard mostly good things about the Mavic though. Never heard about these issues you are having though (or had). This is very interesting. If you get another one to see if you had some kind of issue with the last one, let us know what happens with it.

Top Bottom