Other new taranis

hawk-i

Just pulled the trigger on a new taranis with dsmx module. Hope its not too complicated for my small brain. but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:

hawk-i

Thanks Stambo I have downloaded companion 9x with version 2.08 I think it was . I have been watching the you tube vids of r scott page and he looks like the guy to follow. I'm kind of pumped about this transmitter. I think its supposed to do everything but fly for you. We'll see.

Stambo

Yeah I have had mine for a while and I have only good things to say about it.
It is capable of so much more than I need but I am slowly using more of it's features.
I love the spoken minute count while FPV flying.
The RSSI is another bonus if you use the right Rx.
I also want to set up the telemetry to give me flight pack voltage at some stage.

hawk-i

Yeah it seems like a whole new adventure. I was going to go with a dx8 but I haven't seen but one bad review about this radio. So I'm rolling the dice on this one. Is there any warranty on it? And would it be worth sending it in if there was? I'm sending this more to you Stambo since you and I seem to be the only ones who bought this radio.

Stambo

Warranty wise I think you take your chances. It would probably cost more to ship it back to China than to just buy another one.
I have yet to see anyone have any issues and it is Frsky who have been producing low cost, high quality radio gear for quite a while so hopefully it stays that way.
A brand name radio with the same features would run $800+ in NZ so for the $250 odd that it cost landed here I am pretty happy.
I was prepared to take the risk as all the reviews seem to rate it fairly high.

The software is a learning curve but it gets easier as you start to understand how it works. :)

hawk-i

Ok so one more question. Of all the unboxing videos I have seen I haven't seen a data cable to link the tx to the computer. Is there one or is it a common cable most people have around the house?

treff

I have a question if an owner of the Taranis could answer please. What do the sticks feel like? Are they smooth? Are they
better than Spectrum, Futaba, or JR ?? Thanks

murankar

Staff member
I don't think the sticks will feel better than futaba. I think futaba has the better sticks. Now between JR and Specktrum i think that frsky might be just below them two.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Stambo

Ok so one more question. Of all the unboxing videos I have seen I haven't seen a data cable to link the tx to the computer. Is there one or is it a common cable most people have around the house?

One of my camera cables fit.

WyDiablo

I have a question on the Taranis x8r rx. I think but I"m not real sure I may have used a jumper while doing the bind on my 2 x8r rx's. If so will that effect any type of function of the rx?

hawk-i

just got my taranis. the stick on the left feel a little ratchet and the one one the right feels about like my dx6i. strange but they both seem ok. I'll keep you posted of progress.

Stambo

just got my taranis. the stick on the left feel a little ratchet and the one one the right feels about like my dx6i. strange but they both seem ok. I'll keep you posted of progress.

You can disable the ratchet if you game to take the back off.
I did, then just set the spring tension to what you want.
Maybe while you are in there apply a small amount of light silicon grease to the tension spring.

hawk-i

Anyone know a good video for setting this radio up for 6 channel heli . I'm using the orange transmitter module and when I bound it to a heli the aux1 servo is not working on my spectrum ar6100e and the rudder servo needs reversing and lol I can't seem to find a way to adjust gyro gain in the radio. I don't know if I really want it to work or not because I hate machines like GPS's that talk to you but my taranis is as quite as a mouse except for a beep if the throttle stick is not at bottom. I know this is a complicated radio but I like a challenge and it gives me something to do in the evenings after work. Other than these things I really like the radio.

Stambo

Do you have any models set up yet?

Hook it to your PC and use the companion9x model wizard.
Or just have a play with companion9x to try to understand how it all works.

Really the best way to learn is to play with it, obviously with the heli main blades off. :)

hawk-i

I have tried to set up a model and I can get rudder, throttle and all three servos going up when I move the throttle up but I get no side to side or elevator movement from the right stick. When I go into companion 9x and go into the model wizard it wont let me select helicopter. only plane or multirotor. anyone have any ideas?

murankar

Staff member
Nope, in companion start from the very being and create your model there. There should be an option for creating a heli. Then move to templates and use those to get started.

I have an er9x file for eepe. You can use that to get you started. Its under the paid flight simulator section under real flight 7. Its attached to the thread for the stingray.

Open it in eepe and then build your companion file like mine. That should be a good start. Oh apparently if you have a 3GX you will need to set 120° swash in the radio. This will only change that one thing in the program.

hawk-i

I have seven 450 helis and 6 are flybar type. so I guess I need help with flybar type first. will the 120 degree setting still be valid? And by the way where do you find the degree symbol on the keyboard. I'm a bit of a noob with computers also.lol

murankar

Staff member
I have a sticky note on my desktop so I can copy and past it in. Atl key and 3 numbers from the 10 key pad. I can't remember the numbers though. On my phone I just choose the symbol.

As for the flybar helis its still uses the 120° swash type. Use the templates they will get you 90% setup. You will need to set your dual rates and expo, throttle and pitch curves.

Make sure you also add the sticky throttle cut template. Make sure servo travel is correct. If not then on the mixes tab (i beleive) you will see in the second column with a 100, make that number negative 100 to reverse. Make sure collective is set to channel 6 (it will have three entries one main and two sub entries). On the heli setup tab make sure collective is set to channel 6 also (not sure his this affects anything). Once all of that is done you will need to re 90 the servos. The sub trim is on the limits tab, it will be the first column of numbers.

I think that's it. I did it from memory so I may have missed something. Just double check everything. I think my wife's laptop may have an eepe file on it from when I had my msh Protos mini on flybar. If so I can post that file in this thread.

Top Bottom