General New Question re: LIPO

Loopy

I've just purchased a Tenergy 5-in-1 Cell Meter to test and discharge my batteries. The discharge rate is quite slow. Not supposed to discharge for more than 6 minutes to avoid over heating the unit. My question is, would it be safe to put the battery and meter in the refrigerator or freezer to discharge?

Geena

Staff member
I would say no. moisture could get into the unit and cause bad things to happen. You would probably be better off setting the whole thing in front of a small fan, and keep it cool that way.

Loopy

I would say no. moisture could get into the unit and cause bad things to happen. You would probably be better off setting the whole thing in front of a small fan, and keep it cool that way.
Thanks, I'm sure you're right.

Admiral

The Prophet Sport Mini does not have a Discharger function and your 5 in 1 is very slow and 6 minutes at a time will take you all day. I have attached a top 10 list of dischargers but they are all pretty slow & expensive. I think I would think about where I'm going in this hobby in the next couple of years and then buy the best multi function charger I could to cover my future needs.

The best discharger that I can find is my helicopters, I fly until down to about 20% battery charge and then charge them back up to storage level.
I rarely have to run my charger in discharge mode.

I made a discharger once which was a series of globes which took the batteries down to zero for disposal, but it was brutal and I wouldn't recommend it as you chance of destroying your batteries is pretty high.

Loopy

Thank you for your sound advice. My little 5-n-1 is good for balancing, voltage checking etc., but for discharging as you say, it's just like watching paint dry on a rainy day. I doubt that I will take the hobby to the lengths that many of you folks do for 2 reasons. The cost and lack of storage. My 2 Cubs will keep me happy for quite some time. Therefore, the best way for me to store batteries is to run them down by flying and re-charge only up to 50%.
Thanks again, I really appreciate respondents advice.

Top Bottom