Quad New Quad setup ?

SIXFOOTER

Well, got it powered up tonight and no smoke, so there is that.
Setup:
BlueSkyRC X-Frame Quad frame
KK2 old version FC
Spektrum DX6i
HK Orange Rx

Problems so far:
Motors don't all start up at the same time
How do you set the AUX channel to a switch on the Tx? Found AUX on the Monitor menu, but nothing says how to use it.
KK2 manual does not say how to calibrate the ESC's and using the throttle up to full them power on the model doesn't seem to work.

Got it to bind, no problem
Got the Servo directions set
Got the motors all turning correct direction

Figured this is the place to ask
Thanks in advance

Stambo

First things first, REMOVE PROPS
Easiest thing is to do this with help.
Turn on tx, put throttle full
Hold the outside 2 buttons down on the KK2 then plug in the battery (keep the buttons down)
Wait for beeps to set calibration mode (varies with ESC type)
set throttle to minimum and wait for confirmation tones.
Now you can let the buttons up, power off quad and tx, power up again, then check that it's right.
Mine do not always start at the same time but pretty close (I have 2 KK2s and have helped set up another 3).

If your KK2 is not flashed to v1.5 or higher all I can say is JUST DO IT.

The difference between the early versions and the current one is HUGE.
Autolevel actually works on 1.5 and up.
As far as setting channel in tx, I don't know the DX6i so I cannot help.
However I do suggest setting autolevel on by default, so the switch will turn it off when you are ready.

If you meant how do you do it in KK2,
MENU
MODE SETTING
change autolevel to
AUX

Last edited:

SIXFOOTER

Thank You!
I did some more searching this morning and found a youtube video detailing the ESC cal procedure so that should help.
Waiting on my dongle to come in so I can flash the KK2 board.
So tonight I'll go through all that and see where that gets me.
Now I got to figure out the deal on the transmitter

Stambo

I would not even try to fly it until it's flashed if you are new to quads.
Look up dhdsracer on youtube.
He has a lot of excellent vids on KK2 setup.

SIXFOOTER

Grrrrr.....
Got my programming gizmo in today, plugged it into the laptop, it lit up nice and blue. Tracked down the software and installed it, had to figure out how to get my mac to accept it, no problem.
OK, ready to go, how the heck do you get the 10 pin cable to the 6 pin header on the KK2?
Where is pin 1?
Anyone got a pinout for an adaptor?

Big box of chinese stuff is still somewhere between new your and florida

SIXFOOTER

Looking at the pinout on the software page it looks like pin 1 is the corner closest to the buttons, pin 6 is gnu and I can see the foil on the bottom of the board connected there.
Now I have to make an adaptor, tomorrow.
Thanks guys

SIXFOOTER

OK, got it connected up, but still a problem
Here is what the software says

Flash the firmware from repository.
Flashing firmware from file.: /Users/DannyMacbook/Library/Preferences/kkMulticopterFlashTool/OpenAero2_B10_KK20.hex

/Volumes/kkMulticopter Flash Tool/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude -C /Volumes/kkMulticopter Flash Tool/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude.conf -p m324pa -P usb -c usbasp -e -U flash:w:/Users/DannyMacbook/Library/Preferences/kkMulticopterFlashTool/OpenAero2_B10_KK20.hex:i

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Thoughts?

SIXFOOTER

No, according to the link you put up the -p sets the com port location, mine at least knows that much, when I hit the load button the FC beeps. That tells me that power and ground are right, and I think that MOSI and MISO are right. One odd thing, the board does not power up with the adaptor, the vid I saw on youtube it did.
I checked and no 5v between pins 2 and 10 on the output of the adaptor.
I have another adaptor on the way

Stambo

OK, got it connected up, but still a problem
Here is what the software says

Flash the firmware from repository.
Flashing firmware from file.: /Users/DannyMacbook/Library/Preferences/kkMulticopterFlashTool/OpenAero2_B10_KK20.hex

/Volumes/kkMulticopter Flash Tool/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude -C /Volumes/kkMulticopter Flash Tool/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude.conf -p m324pa -P usb -c usbasp -e -U flash:w:/Users/DannyMacbook/Library/Preferences/kkMulticopterFlashTool/OpenAero2_B10_KK20.hex:i

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Thoughts?

Just noticed this.
Look at the items in red, you are using airplane hex.
THIS WILL NOT WORK FOR A QUAD.
Also it might be worth trying from a windows PC if you have access to one.

I get this error too but does not seem to matter.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
I was having that issue when I was flashing my first th9x. I found out.I.had a bad programmer. Something aboit a 6 pack resistor reading 220 on it is Not good.

I ended up ordering one from a web site that was not eBay. Once I got the new programmer things worked fine. I can't remember the web site name. I was on an opentx forum when I found it.

Not sure if you have the same atml programmer I use for my th9x.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom