Quad New Quad Build Realacc Purple 215

Tony

Staff member
This Quad Frame was sent to me when I wanted to do a complete quad build from the ground up. That was before my injury so I have had this quad for quite a while. It is a 215mm quad with a 4mm base and a VERY strong top section. It is completely encased in aluminum and carbon fiber.

I was going to put the Stack-X in this quad, but the camera and the board stack would not fit. This is a very tight setup and you definitely must plan ahead! For this reason, I decided to scrap the idea of using the Stack-X and instead had them send me the HGLRC F4 V5PRO Flight Controller. I wanted to run a 4-1 ESC like the Racerstar RS20Ax4, but with the limited room, I decided to just run separate ESC's for each motor.

The motors and ESC's are off of the GoolRC 210. The motors are 2204 2300kv motors which I have only run on 3s. On this quad, these motors and ESC's are going to be run on 4s with the help of the Tattu 1550mah 75c 4s Battery! I am really liking these batteries and if you liked GensAce batteries, you will like these as well!

For the camera, I'm running the RunCam Swift. This has proven to be a fantastic camera. I'm running the standard version but they also have the RunCam Swift IR Blocked Version as well. The picture is very clear and best of all, it fits perfectly in this frame! The lens sticks out about 5mm in front of the quad, but anything further back and it would start seeing the side rails of the top plate since they are so close to the camera.

Getting back to the Flight Controller, I couldn't use the stand-off's it came with since it sat the board too low. This board has pads on the front and back for the ESC's and they stick out just far enough to touch the aluminum rails of the top frame. So I installed some metal stand-off's that I had laying around to raise it up just above the rails. This is proving to be a very tight fitting quad, but in the end, I think it will be worth it.

The Flight Controller also has a built in VTX (Video Transmitter) which is awesome seeing as I don't have much room on this quad to work with. It comes with its own antenna cable and it fits perfectly with the Quads Antenna Holder. This VTX is adjustable from 25mw, to 200mw, to 600mw depending on what you want to do with it. I plan on only using it in the 200mw range so that I can compare it to my Eachine TS5823L VTX that I have on the FrankenQuad. And that is an awesome VTX in case you were wondering! The antenna I will be using is Aomway RP-SMA Antenna which has proven to be a very good antenna even with its cheap price! If you get this Flight Controller, you will need to get the RP-SMA antenna to match, or an adapter.

The props that I will be using are the Gemfan 5152's and the ones I have are the Orange props. Now, they are not exactly orange, in fact the packaging calls them Whiskey Props because of their dark amber color. Yes, it says that right on the package lol. These props may end up being too much for the motors and if so, I will take the Racerstar 2205 2600kv Motors off of the FrankenQuad and put them on this build. I would use these props on FrankenQuad, but the tips just touch.

Also in the picture below, you can see that I have heatshrink on ONE of the ESC's and that single ESC is wired to the board. It is the only one at this time. I have to give a HUGE THANKS to @bigone5500 for sending me the heatshrink to be able to do this. I wanted to use the red, but it was too big, so black it is. And even the black was almost too big and it had to shrink all the way down just to tighten up on the ESC.

And by the way, I'm loving the Black & Gold Allen Drivers. Because they are slightly oversized, they grip onto the bolts that are kind of stripped out or just have a larger than normal hole. For the bolts that are properly sized though, I am using the Allen Drivers from 10-1 Beginners Tool Kit. Both kits have held up extremely well and I use them both every day. If you are looking for a good allen driver kit, then check those out.

And as you can see in the picture, I have quite a bit more going on on my desk lol. It is complete chaos in here right now trying to catch up on videos, articles and posts lol. Stay tuned for more updates on this quad. And no, I have not put power to the Flight Controller yet so if you want to see something in video, post up and let me know.

Here is the picture of my desk and the project. There is also an image under this post with a full res picture of this mess.

IMG_0862.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 3

Tony

Staff member
Well, here you go guys! This was one of the hardest builds I have done, ever! There is absolutely no room inside that frame, but man does it make for a very clean install when you are done! Let me know what you think. Again, a modified and smaller image is below and the full size image is in the Attached Files box.

IMG_0863.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 1

Tony

Staff member
I took the quad out for a quick flight in the cold and wind with some sprinkles falling just to see how these props would work on this quad. First thing I noticed is that the PID's are way too high. It has an oscillation at all levels of throttle so I will need to take care of that. And with those motors and props together, this thing is just way too floaty. So I will be putting some 5045's on it to see if it does any better. I was really hoping these 5152's would do good. They are awesome on the DarkMax quad!

But, it does fly, so that is a bonus lol. Not bad for something that I tossed together in a few hours...

Top Bottom