Cases New Power Supply and Charger system

SIXFOOTER

Gathering parts and making a plan.
Got two of the Storm Cases a while back, had no plan for them but I was sure something would present itself.
This one will be a power supply and charger system. So far I have 2 power supplys, same HP server supplys most you guys are using, new iChrger 4010, LED lit switches, somewhat of a plan.
Waiting on binding posts for the 12 volt side, anderson connectors for the 24 volt side, acrylic sheet for a cover that will be lit also. Planning on making this thing more than ust a charging station, going to make an ESC/Motor tester, setup for servo testing and the like.

Slobberdog

See mine or dirks build threads and look at the switches that we put on there,

These will help you in the long run, the 4010 duo and all the other duos it have been made aware are susceptible to start up surge ( when plugging the supplies direct in to the mains) and have been known to send the duo up in smoke,

To combat this put a switch in the pin mod to switch the power supply output on,

If you have any questions please ask

SIXFOOTER

Yea I knew these things didn't like direct mains connections, they were designed for a switched input, I have always been a big fan of a way to power everything off without pulling the plug.
I have read you guys threads on these things and will be using All that info to build this thing so Thank You for posting it.

Tony

Staff member
What is it that you are waiting on? My icharger and PSU's are the next thing to be posted up.

SIXFOOTER

MIsc bits: Anderson connectors are inbound, plexiglass is inbound, ac power inbound.
Should have most everything in hand to at least mock up next week if I get time, will depend on how late I have to work.

SIXFOOTER

Just about have everything I need, got to finalize the panel design and cut out some parts and get started with the assembly
Might a little done tonight

vimy

Just about have everything I need, got to finalize the panel design and cut out some parts and get started with the assembly
Might a little done tonight

I've been doing the same exercise.

I have the two PL8 chargers I will be using. I have managed to get some very cheap HP 1200W power supplies imported them from the US.

At last, I found a case to put it all in. It is not what I initially wanted, it is an old flight case that was used for studio lighting.

It opens the wrong way to what I had in mind, but at $60 AUD, I wasn't going to say no it, so a compromise is in order. The case is rather large, and that means plenty of cooling space, which is good.

I have to remove all the foam padding, remove a folding tow handle and patch up the holes for that and the wheels that used to be on it.

From there, I can start the construction. It will be a big job, but I will enjoy it.

Good luck with your charger SIXFOOTER, keep us up to date with how you're progressing.

coolice

See mine or dirks build threads and look at the switches that we put on there,

These will help you in the long run, the 4010 duo and all the other duos it have been made aware are susceptible to start up surge ( when plugging the supplies direct in to the mains) and have been known to send the duo up in smoke,

To combat this put a switch in the pin mod to switch the power supply output on,

If you have any questions please ask

Hey Buddy.

You won't find there is any start up surge with the server PSU's, due to where they are intended to be used this cannot happen as it would kill the server equipment which is a lot more money than our chargers.
The eFuel PSU's available have been found to give a large voltage surge and indeed even Revolectrix have warned about this PSU when used on their PL chargers and advise powering up the PSU and allowing it to settle, before connecting your charger to it.

What you may have read and got confused with, is if one PSU in a multiple PSU setup fails abruptly during the charger cycle, this can and has killed a lot of DUO's (308, 406, 4010's) and ideally this needs to be protected against when using server PSU's. The sudden drop in volts from typically 25 to 12, results in an unwanted spike which the DUO's are not protected against.
I have a clever protection circuit that eliminates this worry when using server PSU's and is fitted to all my PSU sales when they are going to be used to power DUO's.

Ian Contessa

Top Bottom