700 NEW Hobby King "Assault 700 DFC Electric Flybarless 3D Helicopter Kit"

marvel6869

another CLONE or NOT? hobbyking releases their new class 700 heli. "the Assault 700 DFC Electric Flybarless 3D Helicopter Kit"
This Claim came from hobby king website store.. ($214.99)

This is the one you have been waiting for...DFC rotor head, shaft-driven tail system, carbon fiber main frame and dripping in alloy parts, the Assault 700 DFC helicopter is here!

When it comes to helis, size DOES matter. The bigger they are, the better they fly! Following the current trends, the Assault 700 is using a DFC (Direct Flight Control) rotor head which provides crisp, precise flight control with a very low parts count and easy setup. The DFC rotor head design brings the rotor disc closer to the main frame, moving the center of gravity closer to the middle of the heli. This provides better flight characteristics and more agility allowing for the ultimate in extreme 3D flight performance!

The Assault 700 is decked out with aluminum parts which other manufacturers normally sell as upgrades. The entire main frame is constructed from lightweight yet extremely rigid carbon fiber. The main shaft is supported by triple bearing blocks which are also constructed from aluminum. The tail assembly is all alloy and utilizes high quality NMB bearings designed for high speed use. The dually supported tail-pitch slider provides slop-free, precision tail control.

The electronics mounting design is well thought out on the Assault, allowing very easy access to the motor, ESC, servos, FBL system and radio equipment. The front cyclic servos mount directly to the bearing blocks keeping the design rigid, simple and tidy. The direct to swash CCPM servo linkages eliminate troublesome bellcrank systems found on other helicopter kits and offers precise, direct control to the swash.

The battery mounting system features a carbon fiber battery tray which is secured using alloy rails inside the frame. It allows for very easy battery swaps by sliding out of the frame with the batteries attached.

The Assault 700 DFC is mostly pre-built requiring only a few hours for final assembly, electronics installation and setup. We carry a full range of high quality components for this kit which can be found in the related items section below.

Features:
• High precision DFC rotor head
• Carbon fiber main frame
• Shaft-driven tail system
• Direct-to-swash CCPM servo linkage design
• Dually supported tail-pitch slider
• All aluminum head and tail assemblies
• Carbon fiber sliding battery tray system
• Fiberglass canopy

Specs:
Type: Collective Pitch Electric 3D Heli
Main Rotor Diameter: 1560mm
Tail Rotor Diameter: 280mm
Length: 1345mm
Pinion Gear: 13T

Included Items:
Assault 700 DFC Flybarless Helicopter Kit (no electronics)
Tail blades
13T pinion gear
Alloy servo arms
Battery straps
All necessary hardware

Required Items:
Standard size metal gear servo (cyclic control) x 3
Standard size high-speed servo (tail control)
700 size 480~560KV brushless outrunner heli motor
120A HV (12S) brushless ESC
Flybarless system
690~710mm main blades
Voltage regulator/UBEC
1800~2200mAh receiver battery
12S (6S x 2) 4500~5000mAh lipoly battery
6ch or more radio system (transmitter and receiver)

(note : source from hobbyking)

guys need your opinions and views thanks

stokke

Very interesting. But after seeing my friends HK500 FBL a week ago, I'm also skeptical. That heli had some serious geometrical issues regarding cyclic setup - but I see they have adopted the direct-to-swash setup, so maybe there is hope?

They're already sold out, so I guess reviews should be right around the corner.

marvel6869

Re: NEW Hobby King "Assault 700 DFC Electric Flybarless 3D Helicopter Kit"

after doing a research, i find it kinda trex 450 dominator / choas 700? hmmmm i dont know. but i guess will just have to wait for those guys who have own this HK ASSAULT 700 heli. for their opinions. :coffee:

- - - Updated - - -

their photos during the video demo

1185125_615443385166374_1765376949_n.jpg

1185125_615443385166374_1765376949_n.jpg

Tony

Staff member
HK selling a 700 is like HK selling a turbine, it's just NOT a good idea. In the USA, only two people have been killed by a helicopter. With HK, I'm sure that number is getting ready to go up. The metal they use in the helicopters, both aluminum and steel, are sub grade and very weak. Nothing has proper threads, nothing is milled to spec and there are a LOT of "if's" in these products. I can assure you, I will NEVER own one of these. My safety and the safety of those around me is more important than saving a few bucks so that I can crash because the feathering shaft bolt snapped and the blades went flying. My $0.02...

xokia

HK selling a 700 is like HK selling a turbine, it's just NOT a good idea. In the USA, only two people have been killed by a helicopter. With HK, I'm sure that number is getting ready to go up. The metal they use in the helicopters, both aluminum and steel, are sub grade and very weak. Nothing has proper threads, nothing is milled to spec and there are a LOT of "if's" in these products. I can assure you, I will NEVER own one of these. My safety and the safety of those around me is more important than saving a few bucks so that I can crash because the feathering shaft bolt snapped and the blades went flying. My $0.02...

Yea I think HK needs to address those issues first if they hope to be successful in the USA. They are best posed to do it though and if they are successful could change the hobby industry in the USA. Everything here currently is all MAP restricted so has a minimum 30% profit margin for the retailers built in. So there isn't much competition. In my experience while I like supporting my LHS I dont like to give them cash just to give them cash. Very few hobby stores have knowledge of the products they sell. There is one guy at my LHS that actually has a clue about helicopters. Just about every other hobby store within 50 miles of me has absolutely no clue but could look up a part for you if you have a part number. I experienced the same thing when I was into RC trucks.

These hobby stores are stuck in the 80's buisness model and just want to be the middleman and dont offer any real value to their customers. I think these types of shops will die off. You need an online presence now and need to be knowledgable. I prefer to shop online because everything is delivered to my door and I dont have to spend time running to the hobby store. Plus with online shopping you have more choices. I go the extra mile to shop from outside the USA now a days because I refuse to support the MAP buisness model. I think it does nothing to advance the hobby and only re-enforces the 80's buisness model.

Since HK builds their own kits they can sell for what ever they want. This could help people get into this hobby because they aren't paying a middle man an extra 30%. I think in the future you will find more direct to customer type transactions.

Tony

Staff member
:thinking:

I'm not sure where that come from, I'm talking about safety, not money. A 700 size HK helicopter is a stupid idea. Someone is going ot get killed. Maybe if that happens, it will finally put HK out of business and we can go back to quality products that people can trust to not fall apart in the air.

xokia

:thinking:

I'm not sure where that come from, I'm talking about safety, not money. A 700 size HK helicopter is a stupid idea. Someone is going ot get killed. Maybe if that happens, it will finally put HK out of business and we can go back to quality products that people can trust to not fall apart in the air.
The people who died in the US were flying "quality" heli's. Things fail even on big name manufacturers.

I personally wouldn't buy one and anyone that does should take proper precautions. That kinda goes without saying when flying any 700 class heli though no matter who built it. But no one knows the quality if this heli yet. I welcome any competition. If the heli is junk I think people will be quick to post about it once its out and it will fail to sell.

At least they make you build it and its not BNF like some other big name 700 manufacturer.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Yes thats a fact they were flying top shelf helis, that not the issue. The issue lies in the fact that this could potentially bring the death toll higher due to low quality parts, no Q.C. or the lack there of, inferior materials and not so good engineering. HK; unless they have addressed the aforementioned areas of concern, should not be attempting to enter this class of heli. I for one would be leery of those kits until and neutral pilot flies the snot out of it and does an honest and I mean honest review on it. I then would wait for more reviews to be done and wait some more.

When jumping to a 700+ class heli one should not be conservative with the build cost. These kits are expensive and should be by all rights. Price points are set so that not everyone can just get their hands on these things.

I have to agree with Tony on this topic.

Slobberdog

Yes thats a fact they were flying top shelf helis, that not the issue. The issue lies in the fact that this could potentially bring the death toll higher due to low quality parts, no Q.C. or the lack there of, inferior materials and not so good engineering. HK; unless they have addressed the aforementioned areas of concern, should not be attempting to enter this class of heli. I for one would be leery of those kits until and neutral pilot flies the snot out of it and does an honest and I mean honest review on it. I then would wait for more reviews to be done and wait some more.

When jumping to a 700+ class heli one should not be conservative with the build cost. These kits are expensive and should be by all rights. Price points are set so that not everyone can just get their hands on these things.

I have to agree with Tony on this topic.

+2 on that Matthias, their QC has to improve highly before I would trust a kit that size, they can't seem to do 450 main shafts tidy so what chance have they got on a 700,

xokia

I think proper training when flying a 700 class heli is more important JMO. People should know they can kill and should respect them. It's the act of flying them near people and property that makes them dangerous.

Tony

Staff member
It's the fact that you are swinging 700mm swards that are only held in with a single bolt that is FAR below even Align's standards. 1 bolt that is going to have a flaw in it because it's made of a softer alloy, and that is all that is holding the helicopter in the air. This is where it scares the hell out of me. And, you can get that 700 cheaper than you can the 600. They just put this helicopter in the hands of those that should not even be flying a 130x, let alone something that HAS killed people before.

I guess time will tell where this goes. But I will bet you will be hearing about these things flying apart in a crowded park here very soon.

xokia

They just put this helicopter in the hands of those that should not even be flying a 130x, let alone something that HAS killed people before.
I agree with that but you can't fix stupid. I think pricing it out of kids hands is a good idea. Which at its price point it probably is.

The well off don't hold a monopoly on intelligence. They still have their fair share of stupid.

You shouldn't be flying any brand of 700 class heli over a crowded park that's JMO. I fly my 700 heli at an empty park once people show up I land and leave. I do the same with my 550. Ill fly the 450 and smaller heli's with people at the park.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Stupidity is one part of the equation. The other part of it it part failure. In the head alone you have 4 fail points. 1) the Jesus bolt, 2)feathering shaft bolts (this has been a past issue with hi), 3 the blade grips themselves and 4) the bolts that hold the blades.

Any of these areas could prove hazardous in any situation.

xokia

Any of these areas could prove hazardous in any situation.
Yea and that's true for any brand of heli. If you're in a proper flying area taking proper precautions then a busted heli hurts no one as it smashes into the ground.

I think the real concern here is everyone knows people DON'T take proper precautions. That's what needs to change IMO. It needs to be made clear to people the heli's can kill. I've seen on another forum people telling a new pilot their is no problem starting out with a Goblin 700. Which that heli is one of the more expensive heli's and would be just as dangerous in the hands of a newb as a HK heli would be.

Slobberdog

Yea and that's true for any brand of heli. If you're in a proper flying area taking proper precautions then a busted heli hurts no one as it smashes into the ground.

I think the real concern here is everyone knows people DON'T take proper precautions. That's what needs to change IMO. It needs to be made clear to people the heli's can kill. I've seen on another forum people telling a new pilot their is no problem starting out with a Goblin 700. Which that heli is one of the more expensive heli's and would be just as dangerous in the hands of a newb as a HK heli would be.

Either would be dangerous in the hands of a newb pilot, but due to the cheap ally and bearings and bolts and need I go on the hk would be a darn side more dangerous in the hands of a good pilot throwing that bird around the sky,

And you say about flying these things in a open empty park, but most of these will be chucked around at the local flying club field with people and other aircraft around.

xokia

Either would be dangerous in the hands of a newb pilot, but due to the cheap ally and bearings and bolts and need I go on the hk would be a darn side more dangerous in the hands of a good pilot throwing that bird around the sky,

And you say about flying these things in a open empty park, but most of these will be chucked around at the local flying club field with people and other aircraft around.
The flying fields are probably the best place for them as they generally have rules to keep people safe. As well as usually skilled pilot around to tell someone when they are doing something stupid.

I don't think you could build one of these very cheaply which for me I wouldn't waste my time. Now if I had all the parts laying around I would be tempted to buy one just to try it out and try and break it. The $200 some dollars they are charging wouldnt be much of a concern for me. It's all the other parts I wouldn't want to invest in that heli.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Not all fields. My flying field is for mostly planes. There is no heli pad, only a runway and you are not allowed to hover over it unless you are flying a plane. Figure that one out lmao. I just wait until everyone is gone so that I know I'm not going to put anyone else in danger or their planes, then I put my heli's on the runway. If there are people there, I ask of I can fly my heli while there is no one flying just to be safe. I guess I could come in for a "sliding landing" to make it look like a plane lmao.

Slobberdog

Re: NEW Hobby King "Assault 700 DFC Electric Flybarless 3D Helicopter Kit"

Darn 200 ish $ for a 700. You'll have more invested in a battery pack for the bird,

- - - Updated - - -

And yes we can't hover over the runway either if there are planes in the air, but as a rule we take it in turns on the air time.

Top Bottom