Quad New Fixed Pitch 3D Quad from Bobby Watts

Lee

I think the Stingray quad from CY has seen its day after watching this video.

Last edited by a moderator:

pvolcko

Got one on pre-order. Will use qav500 for FPV and AP. This one for general flight. Sell the 350qx, or maybe keep for a secondary AP/FPV platform. Junk the draganflyer3.

pvolcko

I'm sure it will be good for sport/mild-collective type 3D. But not sure it will hold up on tic-tocs and other harder collective type maneuvers like the variable pitch Stingray does. On the flip side, this is simpler, less stuff to break in a crash, and it only needs slight mods to the flight controller and ESCs to be able to handle the inverted flight vs a full on custom controller that the stingray uses.

And I'm not a huge fan of 3D on quads anyway. I find it very difficult to keep orientation. On this one I'll probably have to paint the arms or put some different color reflector tape on the front and back props. Looking forward to seeing what it can do, though. :)

Tony

Staff member
I know I have said this before... But... This may just get me into quads... Wonder how much replacements are going to cost lol.

pvolcko

Odd. I posted a reply. It came up with the leave/stay warning. Reloaded page and it was posted. And then I reloaded again and it is not here anymore. At least I thought I did. Maybe I imagined it all. :)

Just in case:

$400 is pretty good. All you have to do is supply a battery (3S - 2200mah), a transmitter (duh), and a sat or Rx. Includes everything else.

Compare that the the CY stingray at $600 for just the frame and controller. $800 for everything sans battery and Tx/Rx.

This is a great deal is you're not into flying smack with your quad, but want some smooth 3D (yeeeeaaaasss) and inverted sport flying.

murankar

Staff member
As for the stingray, it has its place and I think this be quad will push Curtis into hyping his stingray. Pros of the stingrays, be motor drives the entire quad. So I see that as being a plus. The negative to that is more parts and points of failure while in flight.

This 400 I think is geared towards the beginner or week ended that just wants to fly, whereas the stingray is more for the serious pilot who flies all the time.

Will see how this plays out.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

pvolcko

A larger size quad will not be able to pull off this motor reversal scheme, at least not without a relatively long hang time while switching directions on the motors. So this kind of design has a practical limitation, whereas the Stingray can be scaled up relatively easily (as CY has done with the MantaRay) and still retain strong pitch/collective change capability.

pvolcko

Another vid with Kyle Stacy on the sticks. Each vid gets more aggressive on the capabilities of this thing. Probably as he's getting used to flying it and how it behaves. Get some good motor whine in the audio on this one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

Holy cow!!
Well I guess us mortals will have no issues with it :)
Those ESCs and motors must be bomb proof.

Top Bottom