Tri New cheap tricopter build

Karubah

I have embarked on a new project. The blokes that I met locally saw my quad and decided that they want to give multi rotors a try. So we are going to build 4 tricopter s using HK bits and a wood frame. So far our parts list is as follows,

12 Afro 30amp ESCs
12 DT 750 motors
4 KK2 control boards
4 becs 5v 3amp
8 m 12awg red and black wire
3 packs of 3.5 mm gold connectors
4 Hitec servos already on hand
Complete sets of 10 x 4.7 SF blades cheapies
Now all we have to do is wait a month or two for the bits to turn up.!!!!!!!

Stambo

Hmmm, I probably have enough parts to try a tri. :)
Have not decided whether to do it or not.
I have so many other projects on the go.
I will watch your progress with great interest.

Have you got the USB thing to flash the kk2s?

They work so much better with the 1.5 or 1.6 firmware, especially the self level.
If you have new rc pilots flying these you definitely want the self level working right. :)

Last edited:

Tasajara

Looks like a pretty good set of parts... That should do just fine..
Only thing I did different on my second Tri build was buy a cheap metal gear servo for the tail.
I did a flip to close to the ground, had a hard bump of a pancake landing, popped the nylon gears.

Last edited:

Karubah

Hey Stambo. Do you have a link for the usb thingy to flash the KK 2 boards and do HK have the firmware on their web site? I thought they were already flashed for tricopters. Thanks for the tip.

Tasa the servos that we will be using are metal geared Hitecs so hope they will be sweet. It will be along wait for the bits to turn up, but a week in Hawaii in the meantime will help the time pass a bit quicker.

Thanks again for your input fellas.

Stambo

hobbyking don't seem to have it at the moment but here is the same thing from fleabay
USBASP programmer
There are heaps of tutorials on youtube, you need to download a program called kkmulticopter flash tool.
It has a direct link to the latest firmware so it will download it automatically then install it.
When it arrives I can guide you through it if you want.

Karubah

Cheers for the link Stambo, much appreciated. I have hit the trigger on it and will wait a few weeks for it to turn up. Now to download the software....

Stambo

Cheers for the link Stambo, much appreciated. I have hit the trigger on it and will wait a few weeks for it to turn up. Now to download the software....

No worries, here is a vid to help set the auto level, the guy that did this has lots of other tutorials on KK2 setup also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karubah

wonder if the bits and pieces are waiting for me when I get home. Not sure if I will get time to build this bird as it looks like I might be going back into the mines for a 12 month contract. So will be FIFO 4 weeks on 1 week off 12 hr shifts.

Top Bottom