Quad New carbon fiber props causing terrible vibration

I've taken my first dive in to carbon fiber props but so far, bad experience. I know it's not the material, just the blades. Ordered the following props:

8045 Carbon Fiber Propellers CW and CCW Rotation with Dual Mountings (1pair)

along with the adapters:

Blade 350QX Direct Mount Propeller Adapter Set (4pcs/bag)

Had to bore out the prop screw holes as they were too small for the screw. balanced them with my dubro balancer by using the washer that came with the adapters for a tight shaft fit and added electrical tape to the light end of the blades. put them on my 350 qx2 and experiences terrible vibration. switched them out with my cheap plastic ones and its now much smoother. anyone have experience with balancing making things worse or these props in particular? friend said the dual mounts are very difficult to balance, of course, after I had them.

Lee

If the centre hole is off axis, you'll be balancing your props, but it won't make any difference.
I'd be suspect of that. Even the picture on the website looks like the right hand prop has crooked holes :)
I would try a brand name decent prop, if you are going carbon.
the Tiger 8x2.7 Carbon Fiber Props (pair)

Tasajara

+1 on better props. I tried so of the foxtech supreme props couldn't get them to do right.
Went with the T-Motor props and it flew very well. They cost more but you want have to worry about balancing them. Mine were good right out of the box.

That's what I suspected and since i had to balance on the center hole but attach to the other 2 holes, balancing would have been impossible. I've moved on and purchased some prop adapters and normal cf props and they perform beautifully. this morning was my first opportunity to actually fly and test them out and i was very impressed.

Thanks for the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm all about spending a little more for less headache. I'll definitely check out T-Motor.

Thanks.

Just a follow up to this post and I know it's old but does anyone know of a source for professionally balanced multirotor props?

Tony

Staff member
Most companies will say their props are balanced, but I find they are not. And if these are CF props from china, they are horrible. I did two different methods on my quad just to test. The first is I sanded the end of the prop to counter the weight. I ended up having to take off about 1/4" of two props. The other two props I used tape and I had to use a LOT of it.

If you don't have a prop balancer, I would highly suggest getting one. They are well worth the money. However, if you want to pay shipping both ways, you can ship the props to me and I will balance them for you. It's your choice, and I would highly suggest getting your own balancer. The one that I use is a cheap one from HK. And it works. There are others at your LHS that are about $30, and are also fantastic.

Thanks for the info, Tony

I have a balancer and do balance my props. I was just hoping to skip that step by paying a little extra for balanced props. I was hoping. It's still a dream.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, there are some that are pretty close, but I always check my props just to make sure. You never know if they rubbed something knocking off a little weight from one side. Wow, 5 days... Sorry about that. Got killed this week at work and home.

Top Bottom