General New Align 470

Smoggie

I believe it's a 380mm (blade length) stretched version of the 450L. The '470' name is confusing as most other manufacturers now go by blade length, but i guess Align wanted a size designation that fits between the existing 450L and the 500L.

Also interesting that they have gone away from the DFC head on this one too, seems like they are phasing it out on all their new models. The new 700 has also dropped the DFC design.

trainrider06

Interesting! Good looking heli! I guess Tarots design head got their attention!
What FBL controller are they running with it?

Smoggie

All newly manufactured Align combo kits come with BeastX Microbeast Plus FBL controllers these days, though there is still old stock with the Gpro and 3GX kicking around in dealers.

Tony

Staff member
I'm guessing they are going by the way of SAB on the head. SAB has NEVER used DFC and they are quite successful. Don't like the name though. Still living in the past.

Tony

Staff member
I will almost bet money that the 450L will no longer be made. SAB came out with the 380 and everyone loves it. The 450L is just a 325 frame with extended boom and blades. I'm thinking this will be their new middle class.

Chris Waring

I was saving my pennies for a 450L but may hold out for one of these now. Hope they release more spec's soon and a price point.

trainrider06

i like the stance of that heli the more I look at it, wonder if they have more specifics like what frame and such look like?

Smoggie

Some interesting news.. the new 470L is BELT DRIVE and it's direct belt drive from a pulley on the mainshaft, not via a lay shaft like all previous Align helis.

Here's a couple of photos of the CAD 3D model, the second shows the belt:

19-07-2016 11-11-17.jpg

19-07-2016 11-10-49.jpg

And here's a video:

19-07-2016 11-11-17.jpg

19-07-2016 11-10-49.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

trainrider06

I think I'm in love! Like the clean look of the frame, the direct drive belt drive, I notice the tail servo looks to be sitting a bit further back also! I like that! And I think I spied some turn buckle links there too! I just may NEED one!
Thanks for the pix and video Steve....man that dude was running pretty low with those stunts! WOW!

Oh and a CF tail servo rod??? Can this be true? Nice!

Last edited:

Smoggie

Yeah, this is quite a big departure from the traditional Align designs that we have come to expect. The mechanics must be pretty much new from the ground up.
I wonder if the direct drive belt tail and the other new features will be showing up in other helis in the Align range?

trainrider06

You know that's kinda weird because usually they bring out their improvements on the bigger birds and trickle em down to the smaller ones don't they? I hadn't noticed these things with the 700 you posted about...
I am kinda torn on belt verses TT drive, because in some instances the maintance is easyier with a TT, but there are more moving parts to break compaired to the belt drive. That looks like a good setup though on the 470. Am sure there are gonna be the haters of both.

Top Bottom