Quad New 500 quad maiden

Stambo

Did the maiden flight with my new 500 quad last night.
First battery setting up the KK2 and the second just some gentle cruising around.
This is a bit bigger than the other one and once I gain some confidence in the way it flies, I will hook the FPV gear to it. I do get a bit frustrated that having access to a spotter coinciding with nice flying weather seems to happen very rarely.
I have some OSD gear with GPS coming from HK so when that arrives I may have to just do it.

Sorry, no vids, I was running out of daylight so didn't bother with the camera.

The smaller 450 one will now become my basher. I am learning to fly it with self level off so that in the not to distant future I can crank up the stick scaling and have a go at some flips.
Don't worry the camera will be rolling when I do it so good or bad you will get to see it.
I have a spare frame, props, ESC, motor, receiver and a KK2.
What else can I break. :)

I'll put up some pics of the build later but once again for a cheap Banggood frame I am quite happy with how it all went together.

Karubah

Good one Stambo. It always seems to be when you have good flying weather your either working or have to do other jobs that take priority. I have been thinking that I would like to try and build a cheap T copter or Y copter as a basher that I won't be afraid to do a little damage to. I hope you can get a spotter soon and get started on your FPV.

Stambo

Here is a few pics of my build, love how there is plenty of room to mount stuff.
The 450 just kept running out of room.
I am going to build a battery tray underneath so I can move the battery around to get CG right.
I am thinking about what I can do for a mechanism to drop water balloons. :)
I have a few designs in my head but that's getting ahead of myself.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Nice quad. How do you like that Mega 200 X2? I almost got that one then decided on the 306b.

I really, I mean REALLY need to build a quad lmao.

Karubah

It looks very much like the TBS Disco frame except yours has legs. She's a good looking build mate, ver neat and tidy.

wolfman76

It looks very much like the TBS Disco frame except yours has legs. She's a good looking build mate, ver neat and tidy.

i was going to say the same thing andy makes me wish now that i never had to sale my TBS quad now love the tidyness of the frame........

Stambo

Thankyou, believe it or not, I still want to tidy up the wiring some more.
I have some braided sleeving that I am going to put on, time to watch Tony's video again.

I hope you can keep it in the air man and no unscheduled landings allowed lolol

Me too lol, this one has a receiver with failsafe capability so I have set it to give a slow decent if it loses radio.
However the other "unscheduled landing" was my own stupid fault.
Hopefully I have learned from this and won't do it again. :)

WyDiablo

Yea I had an "unscheduled landing" on my F450 when I lost orientation and it was coming toward me so stupid me I gave it more forward stick lmaoooooooooooooooooo well you know the results.

Stambo

I have trained myself that "throttle is your friend" when things get a bit scary.
Nothing like altitude to help you out of a jam when it comes to quads.
Once its up a bit and you have settled down you can tweak the aileron or elevator and see which way it goes.
Then you know what way it's facing and all everything is once again under control.

I have purposely flown my other one far enough away several times, that It's near impossible to see what is front or back.
I hit the rudder hard for a few seconds so there is no way of knowing which way it's facing.
Then I use the above method to get it home again.
It soon gets to the stage where you do it instinctively and that's where I want to be.

As for orientation training all I can say is V911, they are cheap, robust, stable
and they don't hurt much when they hit you. :) :)

Nice quad. How do you like that Mega 200 X2? I almost got that one then decided on the 306b.

I really, I mean REALLY need to build a quad lmao.

Love the charger, don't so much like the fact that the back light went out within a month of owning it. Not worth the hassle of sending it back to China for repair/replacement, I can still see what I need to.

Just do it Tony, once you fly a quad you might give up on the heli's. :)
Repair bill on all but the worst crashes tends to be just props and at $15 for a complete frame you can afford a whole one for spares.

Last edited:

Stambo

I am going to build a battery tray and hang it underneath this quad so that CG adjustment just involves moving the battery forward or back.
I have some perspex that I will probably use, any comments about whether it should be rigid mounted or suspended somehow?
I was thinking if it was suspended the quad would have a bit better balance for FPV as micro adjustments from the FC would not have to move so much mass.
Bear in mind this will be for solely mild FPV flight.

Tasajara

My IFrame Quad I mounted a long paint stick on the bottom just to be able to move my battery to front or back to balance.
Works out great. If I use a 2200mah or a 3000mah I have plenty of room to move it around. I like my battery on the bottom
it seems to lower the center of gravity, less likely to tip from side to side as much than if mounted above the motors.
BTW nice looking build you have there...

28 - xRotor IFrame.JPG

28 - xRotor IFrame.JPG

Last edited:

Stambo

That's what I had thought of doing but maybe suspend it so that it does not affect the stability of the quad so much.
I agree that having it lower is probably the idea.

BTW nice looking build you have there...

Thanks, being my 4th build, I'm starting to get the idea. :)

Last edited:

Stambo

Got my battery tray sorted, now I can put the battery anywhere along the length of the quad so getting CG right should be a lot easier.

Also my $37.50US OSD and GPS has left China so I will hopefully see that in a week or so.
I will report my findings once I get it installed and working.
I am not expecting too much for the price but who knows, it might be really good.
The main things I am after is altitude, RTH indicator and battery voltage.
All the rest is just window dressing but could be helpful as experience increases.

WyDiablo

That's a nice looking radio Stambo and the price isn't that bad either. But your osd and gps has more negatives the positives I hope you come out on the positive side man.

Stambo

That's a nice looking radio Stambo and the price isn't that bad either. But your osd and gps has more negatives the positives I hope you come out on the positive side man.

I have checked around various forums etc and I believe the negatives are operator and installer errors.
I figure for the price it's worth a punt.
There is alternative firmware available too so one way or another I will get value from it.
Only time will tell. :)

WyDiablo

Well Stambo I really hope that you can get some good results from that and if you do keep us posted because I just might order one for my F450

Stambo

Just checked the tracking info to see that my OSD has arrived in the country.
I Should have it in my hands tomorrow just in time to install it for the weekend.
Which incidentally is forcast to be absolute garbage, weather wise, here.
Just my luck. :) :)

Top Bottom