Never Weld Without Gloves

Tony

Staff member
So I needed a starter shaft for the new starter on the T-Maxx and unfortunately, the Align starter is larger than the one on the truck. This one needs to be 7/32's and because of placement, it had to have a ball end on it. I tried making one and makign my own ball end, but it just rounded because it didn't have enough meat on it. So I hunted and finally found a ball end allen wrench.

Because of the placement, I really need this thing to extent out past the tires (it's going in through the left side, between the shock and fuel tank and just above the tire. And with this new allen driver plus the old one, I can make a longer one. I just have to hot glue them together (welder talk for MIG)

I figured this thing only needs 3 tacks to hold and I didn't want to check my gloves for spiders so I just went with it. And before you ask, yes, I was wearing a hood! My eyes are bad enough lol. First thing I did, since I was not wearing gloves is tack the straight driver to the piece of angle I was using to center the two. That went well. Now it was time to push the new one to the old one and make them one. I pulled the trigger and layed down a bugger blob on the two pieces, and then it hit me, I just caught a large piece of slag between my index and middle finger. Yea, that friggin hurt.

It was only a split second, but holy hell it hurt. Now I have black skin where it caught it. Thankfully it is not that large lol. But I will be putting a pair of pig skin gloves on my welding cart for small odd jobs like this. Regular jobs I will use my large stick gloves which I can grab hot pieces with.

Moral of the story, Wear some kind of glove or you will try to fuse both of your fingers together with iron lmao.

Geena

Staff member
I think I would still rather have the burn, than to have to check my gloves for spiders. Actually, I would just toss the gloves in the fire pit, if I even suspected they had a spider in them.

Edit.....I would have Aaron toss them in the fire pit. because I would not touch spider gloves. Haha

Tony

Staff member
hahaha, That is funny right there. They don't bother me much. I just beat the gloves on teh engine hoist then look inside to see if any are still crawling around. I would really like to get me a good set of TIG gloves, but damn those things are expensive!

Geena

Staff member
If you want to keep spiders out of the gloves, put them in a tupperware container when you`re not using them. :)

Tony

Staff member
Then the wife would be complaining about missing some tubs lmao. All I really have to do is lay them on the tray under my welder and then put my mig pliers on top of them. And those are some good prices on those gloves. The ones I had been looking at are $20+ and that is just too much for me to spend on something that I only use once in a while. lol.

ChopDrifter

yikes I hate spiders and I hate bugs.

Yesterday I saw a spider in my fish pond, I went to grab a stick so that I could pluck him out, by the time I got back I think my big gold fish ate him. Gone! I hope my fishy survives.

Top Bottom