General Neodymium Magnets Near Reciever

Tony

Staff member
The question here would be why? Are you going to use neo magnets to hold the wing onto the fuse or something? They do put out a field and can mess with the electronics in it. I would keep the Rx 3cm min from anything electrical or a magnet just to be safe.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I was planning on using a small one to hold the hatch shut. If I do, the distance to case of the orange reciever would be about 1.25 inches. The magnet shape is a cylinder and is roughly 1/4 inch in diameter, and about 3/32 inch deep. I asked because it makes sense that a magnet could cause problems, I just don't have a "feel" for how close is too close! I can move the reciever forward a bit more, so I will just to avoid potential problems!

Tony

Staff member
1.25" is 3.175cm so you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it while in the air and make sure your antenna on the Tx is NOT pointing at the plane. If you notice any abnormal behavior such as jerks (that are not your thumbs shaking lol), then land it and move the Rx.

Great idea on the magnets, just make sure the hinge is in the front, and the magnet is in the back. The pressure inside the fuse can blow it open in flight and the force of the air over it can rip it off. I'm sure you know this, just wanted to make sure lol.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
All good info there, thanks! I'll do some range tests to try to insure that there are no noticable effects as my final assembly ramps up.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Just a quick finish to the thread, the magnet I used was 1.25 inches away from the case of the "orange" reciever. Range testing showed no comparable differance in range with or without the magnet.

I did a little reading, it appears that a fluctuating magnetic field would have much more effect than a stationary one. So, if you need to mount a magnet in the viscinity of your reciever... 1) Not too close, like Tony says, and 2) make sure it is mounted SECURLY (not subject to vibration)!

I did both of the above and had no noticable effect. Your mileage may vary so ALWAYS test your equipment!

Thanks,

SGIS

ash1990

A strong magnet can interfere with and change the inductance of any coils or inductors inside a receiver. So it is possible it could cause a problem. A inductor basically uses a magnetic field, so a strong magnet would change its characteristics.

Top Bottom