General Negative or positive pitch for beginners?

MrHatch

I have been looking through Tony's 'How to Fly' clips and he suggested to change pitch curve to 60%, 65%, 70%, 75%, 100% so as to create 1 degree of positive pitch. However another comment was posted suggested that 1 degree of negative pitch is helpful when flying in winds. " a little in wind will hold the Heli down when spooling up and landing. With 1 degree at low stick and gust of wind could tip you over where as -1 will hold the heli on the ground." is what the post said.

Im a little confused now. Do I leave it at 1 degree of positive pitch, or change it to 1 degree of negative pitch? And if the negative pitch is the way to go, how do I alter my pitch curve to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

Staff member
What I was saying there was in light to no wind conditions. What the positive pitch does is helps stop yourself from slamming the helicopter into the ground when you panic and chop the throttle. It will make it fall at a slower rate, rather than forcing it into the ground.

If you are flying in any kind of wind over 5mph, then set your pitch settings to 45, 47.5, 50, 75, 100. this will give you a slight amount of negative pitch to help hold the heli on the ground in the winds. Hope that makes it a little more understandable.

Lee

I think that quote was mine about the wind. When i learnt to hover, the place i live never gets less than 15mph winds so neg pitch is essential to hold the heli down. Unless you are learning indoors with 0 wind its a good idea to have that bit of neg. :D

Tony

Staff member
I think that quote was mine about the wind. When i learnt to hover, the place i live never gets less than 15mph winds so neg pitch is essential to hold the heli down. Unless you are learning indoors with 0 wind its a good idea to have that bit of neg. :D

:werd:.

Top Bottom