500 Needing some guidence.

Onespeed

I am at the final build stage of my new heli. I have my electronics installed or located where the will be installed and all wires routed. I am a little foggy on setup steps order.. For example I have an Ikon2 that will need to be updated and setup an esc that has to be programmed/ setup. I watched the videos tony made for the new back to basics but was left with some questions regarding updating and getting started with setup because i couldn't physically see the connections made to the Ikon2.* Ok #1 When updating firmware on pc connected to Ikon2.... servos hooked up or no? Power from esc or computer only? Once the Ikon is updated do I just connect all the servos or leave them connected (if that was the case) and connect the esc and power from battery and use bluetooth setup for getting it bound and completed. I know I am making this more complicated than it is ......but this post is basically a heres all this stuff how do you set it up in order without damaging the servos and the esc. I have not set servo center yet as well didn't have a servo tester yet and didn't want to damage digital servos with wrong tester. Any comments about using the esc governor or the ikon's?

electronics Ikon2
RCE- BL80A (rebranded hobbywing so im told)
Dx9 / programmed and rdy for ikon 2 dsmx sat

Thanks for reading my mind barf =)

Smoggie

I'm not an iKon user but I'd be pretty sure that theiKon manual will cover most of the points you mention.

When i'm setting up a heli I'll connect the swash servos but leave their arms off. The tail servo I'll leave unplugged until I get to the setup stage where I can select the correct type of servo (tail servos come in 'standard' 1520us and 'narrow band' 760us). You will need to power it from the ESC during setup, in addition to having the USB (or bluetooth) connected.

For the governor, the one in the eSC is easier to setup and works very well so that's whet I use, but to set the ESC up you will need an Align or Hobbywing multi-function programming box. A servo tester is a good tool to have. Get one that supports both standard and narrow band servos as mentioned above and you will have all servos covered.

Tony

Staff member
As steve stated, leave the servo arms off when doing the first centering on the servos. When you update, I can't remember if you plug in the ESC or not. I think you do, but try it with USB only and if it doesn't work, then go ahead and plug it in so it has power. Again, I just can't remember what I did when I updated it lol. But the servos should be safe as long as there are no arms on it. The servos that I used on the Gobby are 360º rotating, so I could not get them close. If I would have had servo arms on them, they would have definitely bound up and possibly overheated.

Top Bottom