Projects Need To Build Something, But What???

Tony

Staff member
I need your help. I'm wanting to build a new plane (foamie) and need some ideas. It can be anything from a 3d plane to a jet, but it has to be made out of foam. I would like to just make this plane and design the plans myself so that I can post them up here on the forum in the store.

But I need your suggestions. As if I don't have enough to do, lets start yet another project!!!! Post up your ideas!

Derek

This is just my opinion here...but I'd like to see some plans for a foamboard 540.

I am borderline obsessed with the 540. After I get my big plane done, and after I get a few other of my planes in the air, and after I get a DX8 (that's a lot of "after's", lol)...I'm planning on scratch building a 45-50" balsa and plywood 540....very similar to what you would get if you ordered a kit.

I can't help it...I'm ambitious.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I know what you mean, I own two Edge 540's. One is a 40" wing, and the other is a 50" wing. My next one will be much bigger hehe. I love the Edge, I love the looks, I love the straight leading edge of the wing, and I just like the overall look of the plane.

I will say this, since I"m not a CAD designer, it will not be for balsa/ply. It will only be for foamboard. But I have been wanting to do one of these for a while, so maybe I will do that for the first one. They are pretty simple to design, just have to put my little "twist" on it hehe.

Derek

Yeah, I hear ya about the overall look of the 540....it's just an awesome looking plane!

Even made from foamboard, I'm glad that you are considering the 540 for this build idea.

RandyDSok

It appears the forum may be loosing posts... I posted this suggestion already once here and now it's gone... so the db's may have a minor corruption...

Here is one I don't think is done much or often...

A soaring, sport and/or thermal glider in the 1.2m-2m size wingspan. It would likely require some carbon fiber or other support in the wings and a motor to help in getting it up so you wouldn't need to use a high start, wench or tow plane.

wolfman76

i am very ambitous also but i would like to try and build the FY-23 BLACK WIDOW 2 i think the military went wrong by picking the f-22 raptor i mean come on the fy-23 was almost completely invisible its radar signature looked like a spider on the screen plus it is justt a super cool looking jet with thrust vectoring.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
How about a f-16! That would be cool!

I actually have one of these in the works from spring of last year. It didn't go off too well with the limited wing area. But I have plans to work on it some more. Need another box of foam lol.

It appears the forum may be loosing posts... I posted this suggestion already once here and now it's gone... so the db's may have a minor corruption...

Here is one I don't think is done much or often...

A soaring, sport and/or thermal glider in the 1.2m-2m size wingspan. It would likely require some carbon fiber or other support in the wings and a motor to help in getting it up so you wouldn't need to use a high start, wench or tow plane.

Randy, there was a moment today when the forum moved servers. During that time (it was a hosting thing, not me doing it) there could have been some posts that went away. Everything should be stable now.

And I like the idea of a sport glider. That would be very interesting to get done. I agree on the motor to get it up in the air with a folding prop so you can shut it off and just soar. I like this idea almost as much as the Edge.

i am very ambitous also but i would like to try and build the FY-23 BLACK WIDOW 2 i think the military went wrong by picking the f-22 raptor i mean come on the fy-23 was almost completely invisible its radar signature looked like a spider on the screen plus it is justt a super cool looking jet with thrust vectoring.....

I have thought about this plane. The issue with this one is the rudders. They are so small that you have to have a lot of air speed to keep it tracking straight. But it's getting that air speed that's the issue. But, I will plug it into my program and see what I can come up with.

Multi engine ww2 bomber. Or even better, 8 edf b-52 scale replica.

HomeBoy, you buy the EDF's and ESC's and I will make this happen :biggrin1:

Keep the ideas coming guys, I like all of these.

Top Bottom