Chargers Need some help here

heli-maniac

Im going to put together a new charger set up to charge my 6s packs

To Start im Looking at this for the charger Power lab 6
Revolectrix
That way if I need more down the road I can just add another one to it

So the next thing that I have no clue on is what PSU to get
I found these at a good price Dell PowerEdge 2950 2970 PSU 750W power supply N750P-S0 NPS-750BB A 0X404H
But need to know if they will do the job or if I need something else

Slobberdog

I think I would recommend a pair of hp dps 1200 FBA, 24v 2400w at 75a I think, I run one of these with my 3010 and have charged my 4 2700 6s at 2c it got warm but did not chuck its fan on to cool itself down

Tony

Staff member
I may have to look into that PSU that you have Kev. Would be much nicer than the two that I'm running, and no risk of shocking yourself if you short a DC ground...

Slobberdog

You'll have to look at the spec Tony I have 240 volts input that's how I can get the high output

Reading the label for 110-120v applications you can get 900w and 75a out of a single one

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Crap, that is not the one that I was thinking about. Someone on here has a single PSU that puts out 24vDC.

Slobberdog

Lee has two of the ones in the pic above covered in heat shrink,

The only one I can think of maybe Dirk, think it had dx8 stickers on it,

heli-maniac

Well the new charger and PSUs are on there way
Talked with a guy that uses this charger with a 24v psu set up and he said he has charged a 3300 6s at 16 amps and it only took 13 min.
I think thats pretty good My old charger off the wall plug at 10 amps was around 30 min.

Last edited:

vimy

I'm going down the Revolectrix path with a couple of PL8's. I already have the MPA boards and the FUIM3 interface.

My problem will be finding suitable high powered, power supplies, they difficult to come by in Australia. Importing them is extremely expensive, costing many times the initial price of the unit. I estimated it will be just as expensive as buying some Meanwell supplies and putting them in a case.

My only option is to purchase a ready made power supply of around 30v. This will suit the PL8 charger.

Looking around various sites, I came across this:

http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=1285&view=1285

Unless I can find anything else that puts out similar power, I will probably end up with one of these as the power source.

Lee

You say a couple of PL8s. Are you not tempted with the duel PL8? Its basically two PL8 in one box.

vimy

Hello Lee, the Dual PL 8X2 was my initial choice, then I looked at the specifications of both and contacted Revo for further information and opted instead for two PL8's.

The PL8 and the Dual PL 8X2 are NOT the same internals.

The PL8 works on a lower supply voltage which suits the Hyperion power supply I have in mind at 30V @ 66A. The Dual PL8 needs a higher voltage supply.

In hindsight, I liked the flexibility of either having the single PL8s working as a dual unit or as two single units. The PL8 can be coupled together up to 16 units if needed.

Also if one were to fail, I would still have the other, if the dual unit failed the whole thing would need to be returned.

pvolcko

Looks like a strong power supply. Pricey, but if it's warrantied and your best bang/buck option then go for it! You'll love the pl8. Great charger.

vimy

Hello pvolcko, I'm one of the "Buy It Once" type of purchasers. I don't like the idea having to buy this sort of thing again. The choice of charger was based upon how the charger looks after the battery packs and for safety reasons. It looks to me, that the Revo chargers seem have more safety features in them than the other chargers. It may only be a perception of mine but I have looked at all the brands. :)

I also want the power supply for other uses as I have an interest in electronics.

Once I have the ground support equipment sorted, then the aircraft will be the only thing left to buy. The plane I'm looking at is the Apprentice S 15e trainer, it seems to be a popular model and very versatile for "hacking" or modification.

I've just got the two MPA boards from Revo, they are excellent quality. If they are anything to go by then the PL8 chargers will be just as good.

heli-maniac

I should have most of my stuff in the mail today
After I get the PSU in and see the size Ill then be looking for something to put them in

Slobberdog

Well the new charger and PSUs are on there way
Talked with a guy that uses this charger with a 24v psu set up and he said he has charged a 3300 6s at 16 amps and it only took 13 min.
I think thats pretty good My old charger off the wall plug at 10 amps was around 30 min.

dude that's charging at 5c near enough, doubt if I would want to do that to my cells, I do 4 packs @ 1 "C" and usually takes me 40 mins. I can live with that.........

- - - Updated - - -

which PSU did you go for after,

heli-maniac

dude that's charging at 5c near enough, doubt if I would want to do that to my cells, I do 4 packs @ 1 "C" and usually takes me 40 mins. I can live with that.........

- - - Updated - - -
I got the ones you listed they are the ones I found a full wright up on
Simple to do Just add the resistor and its up and running

Last edited:

Slobberdog

I put a little switch in line with the resistor so I had an output switch, that way I limit the spikes sent through to my charger when plugging the psu in, that's what people were seeing the magic smoke for with the Icharger duo's, also you can have the fan on after the charge is complete with no output voltage so that it cools the psu's down

heli-maniac

Ill Be putting switches and a fan on it when I figure out what im putting it in
Already got a DIG volt gauge on the way to put on it to watch the output volts

Top Bottom