General Need more lift

Glenn Sefton

Hey Guys.

I have a Parkzone P47D, stock everything except that I added retracts and flaps.

I normally take off from a grassy field, and usually try to find the baldest and smoothest area which is still quite bumpy. But, because of the terrain I'm trying to get off the ground as quickly as possible, which makes the plane prone to stalls at take-off due to low air speed.

What can I do to get off the ground quicker? Can I choose a bigger prop? If I use a bigger prop, do I need a larger ESC? Or a larger motor?

The P47D uses a 9.5 x 7 prop. I have props for my Extra 300 which are 10.5 x 9 prop. What would be the risk of using a prop like this on the P47D? Can it burn out the motor or ESC? What if I set the throttle throw to 90%, would that reduce the risk or defeat the purpose of going to a larger prop?

Thank you in advance.

mudbogger

I would suggest getting a larger battery and motor, if they will fit. But be sure to check your center of gravity (CG) too. If you don't have room inside your P-47D, then try the bigger propeller. Running a slightly larger propeller shouldn't do harm at all. Just be careful with take-offs and landings that you will have enough ground clearance. It'd hate to break a propeller because of somethin' like that.

Top Bottom