Scale Need lower head speed

holtneil

Hi guys i need to lower the head speed on my Cobra , i was going the route of a 1000kv motor , 17t pinion 162 main gear this will give me 2050 at 100% then use a castle esc to lower to 1900 ,do you think this will work ok or this there any problems going to pop up
Kbar is super stable - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
Dude, that is a BADASS looking helicopter!!! I WANT IT!!! hahaha.

To lower your head speed, you can do 3 things.

• Move to a lower tooth count pinion like a 16 tooth
  • Lower your throttle curve by 10% at a time and everything from 50% to 100% at a flat curve
  • Adjust the governor in the ESC if you are running one

By doing one of those 3 things, you will lower your head speed. Just remember though, it will take more pitch to get it into the air.

And again, that is a BADASS looking helicopter!

Admiral

Sorry Holtneil, but I have to ask the question, why do you want to lower the head speed, on video it looks and sounds like it's running about perfect?
I think if it ain't broke don' fix it.

What brand is it? I have the A2Pro version, flys very similar to yours.

Last edited:

holtneil

Hi guys well I was told that it need to be about 1900 head speed , at the moment it has the 1600kv motor 11t pinion and 164 main gear at 100% throttle I get 2500 approx
So I run a flat throttle of 80%
What I was going to do was use the 1000kv motor thats spare put an 17t pinion on the old trex main gear of 162 and at 100% I will have 2050 then buy a Good ESC with governor mode to bring it down to 1900 more of a scale head speed , Will it work gearing up to the head speed or must I start high and reduce through gears and governor
Ps battery is a 6 cell
The heli started as a trex 500 pro and now has the Align AH-1 Cobra ,with Mcfarlane pilots , still waiting for navigation light to come
The pilots dont look scared they need to be with my flying

DSCF1140.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

Last edited:

bbj

Love all of these and those guns are fantastic. On the Airwolf how did you get your guns to look like real projectiles with the sparks etc.

holtneil

Hi mate its not mine shame , I was looking to buy an airwolf and found this on you tube and OMG its amazing , I think its done with gas

Admiral

Hi Hotneil, back to the original question, I think if it were me I would keep flying it at 80% as nothing in the system is working very hard, if you drop to a 1000 KV motor your going to be running near 100% to achieve your 1900 RPM.

I'm still learning about Motor/Battery/ESC relationships so I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
That's about right. In most cases you'll want to change pinions if anything.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

holtneil

When I got this from aligns they say change the 500 pro pinion from the 12t to the 11t which I did , this gives me 2117 @ 100%, so if I run at 85% I must be near the 1900 head speed I want ? Am I ? May be I am chasing because the scale guys say its not right , it sounds good to me tho, its stable and smooth
What I am trying to say is scale needs to be 100% scale for guys really in to scale its need to look like a REAL heli but miniture , but its good enough for us that just love to fly

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I think the real heli only had something like a 400 rpm head speed. There is just no way to make it completely scale in that matter. I would hit your 1900 and call it good.

murankar

Staff member
To be honest if it flues good to you that's all that matters. As for going full scale its your choice. Scale guys are die hard and will give you a bunch of stuff you aught to do but its not necessary unless that's what you want.

By dropping the pinion and throttle curve to 85 you'll be close to in range. I wouldn't worry to much.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

holtneil

THanks guys you made me happy , OMG Tony that DX9 black is so nice your a lucky man ,Glad Rc help is back and running we was lost with out you

Tony

Staff member
Thanks bro. The dx9 is nice, that's for sure. Just wish the weather would work with me so i can put it to more use than just videos. And boy do i have a LOT of videos planned. But trying to do only 1 a week.

holtneil

Hi Tony your get there my friend i watched the DX9 video ,Now i think i need to set up a dummy model as i cant calibrate sticks as my rear sliders are not used so are not active ,and it will not calibrate with out them , where do i find the settings to turn them on

Tony

Staff member
They are an auxiliary switch like the rtrim and ltrim. It should be in the calibrate menu. I will have to look into this.

holtneil

HI Tony if I go to stick calibrate like you did in the video , it asks you to move the slider at the back ,but mine are not active ?

Top Bottom