Spektrum Need Help With Protocols

Fastfreddie

If you know anything about horizon hobby then you know that there support team are more about selling you more expensive equipment then helping you with a problem.

So I have a dxe to that is running only dsmx and a new Heli (150 s) they have has listed as it needs a DSMX/2 radio now I assume that means dsmx/dsm2 but I’m not actually sure. I was told by them that my dxe will not work and I need at least a dx6e to bind with it now I have a $77 dsmx/dsm2 tx that so far has binded to everything blade has made but it doesn’t have the panic button which is why I want to use the dxe.

Right on there own website it list the protocol for both dxe and dx6e as dsmx
So my question is are they telling me a b.s. story or not?
Thanks guys

Tony

Staff member
The DXe is only a 4 channel Tx. You need at least 5, preferably 6 channels for a helicopter. So no, they are being truthful. The protocol is correct. When it says DSMX/2 it does mean DSMX or DSM2 since DSMX is backwards compatible with DSM2. But if you can swing some cash for a DX6 (not the 6i since it is quite dated now), or even better yet an 8 or 9 channel, you will be leaps ahead in the future for larger models. But I would highly suggest the DX6 if you have the cash. If you don't, a DX6i off eBay will definitely work better than what you have now, just make sure it is the newer DSMX version and not the DSM2 so that you can work with both protocols.

Fastfreddie

Well actually tony it is a 6 channel tx it’s the one that came with my blade 330x. the only reason I want to use the dxe is for the panic button otherwise I’d use my orange tx6i which actually does everything the dx6e does and then some it just has crappy gimbals one day I’ll ill take the hit for a better tx but for now I’m happy with the cheaper version.

So if the dxe I have is a 6 channel then there just trying to sell me something I really don’t need. You know I’ve gone to them many times for issues and they only have one answer, that I needed the next newer thing and every time I’ve fixed the problems with a google search, a YouTube video, or a discussion group for free.

Tony

Staff member
Ha! you are exactly right. I don't know much about that Tx and looked it up on Horizon. Under Specs, it says "Proportional Inputs - 4". Not sure why I read that as channels.

With that said though, If you can adjust the gain on channel 5, then you should be able to use it. If you can't though, you will have no way of adjusting the tail gyro gain.

And to be honest, a good computer radio will be worth it's weight in gold. Here soon, I may have my DX9 up for sale. Awesome Tx. But I also understand not wanting to drop a ton of money on something like that.

Fastfreddie

Thanks Tony for your time with this and yes I’ve been keeping an eye out for a decent priced dx tx but see how them guys at horizon work either there tech guys are idiots or just sales men I feel the latter.

The dxe is a very basic tx but it can be programmed with an app on my iPhone and a Bluetooth device I had to buy for an extra $15 kind of a pain but it gets the job done

Fastfreddie

After I wrote a semi nasty email reply to horizon I received two back. first one said that there was no preset file to download for that model but after review that I can use the dxe with that heli as long as I use the Bluetooth programmer and the second email I was told that after they talked to spektrum that there was a file and it was attached to the email. So I am happy they finally admitted they were wrong.

Top Bottom