Motors Need help Understanding Brushless systems

plumkrazy

Hello!
So im attempting to upgrade my old graupner glider (original Electro Jr) to a brushless system. I found this forum thru youtube when attempting to figure out the BL motors and ESCs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlSa2f76QiU&feature=share&list=FLG_UIT8JdyRcj2jRLLrS1kQ

I think I have all that figured out. But as im shopping for a BL motor to fit my application, I notice that the out-runners can have the pinion shaft coming out of either end. The application that would work for me would need to have the shaft coming from the cap end (Mounting End) rather than the bell end... As I need to mount the non-moving portion of the motor housing to the inside of the nose.
***So the real question I have is, if i buy one of these out runners, can I reverse the end that the shaft comes out of, and/or would it require a new shaft for this purpose or are they just naturally reversible?

Also, The new version of my plane is offered with a BL system (1100kv with 35A esc). However, depending on the battery used, I would be required to run either a 10" or 11" prop. So could I theoretically just get a motor with a higher kv rating that can accommodate a smaller prop (like a 8" or 9") along with the appropriate batt, and disregarding the kv rated BL motor that comes with the new version of my plane (Im attempting to substitute for a cheaper setup)?

And lastly, I understand that I may still utilize my Nimh Batts, (though I plan to get a LiPo) but how do I factor "C" rate with a Nimh? ...The only specs those batts give me is V and mAh, so how would I figure out whether my Nimh batts will operate properly? Any equations to apply there?

My glider is about 3-lbs, so Im thinking I should get a torquey motor to power it. Im thinking maybe 250w-300w 1500kv (for a 8"-9" prop), 40A ESC, and a 11.1V 4000mAh Lipo (I also have 8.4V 3000mAh Nimh Batts). So could a setup like this possibly work? *Based on the info/calculations I learned thru the youtube video I linked in this post.

Ive been searching thru the forums to find these specific questions/answers but couldnt so making my own thread!

Thanks so much, Trying to get up to date with technology!

Top Bottom