450 Need help getting a stripped head screw out of the feathering spindle.. :(

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey guys!!! I have this stupid screw that is in the blade grips holding the feathering spindle... It's head is stripped circular.. I don't know how I managed to do that. Now it's loctited and I can't get it out. I need some ideas please!!!!!!!!
I tried putting some solder and trying to solder my screwdriver to it, but solder was too sift/ weak for that turning force .....

Heli is fine right now, but if I need a spindle replacement, I'll be in trouble!!

Please help!!!

Thanks! :)

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
The only thing at this point I would suggest is to make sure the face of your Allen head wrench is dressed. I find after a while of use, the very tip of them becomes rounded as well. If it is completely perpendicular to the shaft and flat, leaving a very nice hex shape, it should be able to bite deeper into the screw and maybe allow you to get it out. Beyond that, if you didn't mind wasting an Allen tip tool, you could always do as suggested above and then super glue it in place, wait about 20 minutes and try it. Good luck.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I have enough hex tips... I can spoil one... I will try it... I tried using needle nose pliers and also tried the stupid solder gun method soldering a hex to
It, as I said there. It didn't work. :( but I'll try your method!! :)

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
You can also try heating up the head of the screw, which should hopefully release the loctite (hopefully). You'll have to let it get pretty warm, so leave the soldering iron in place for a little while.

Lee

If its only one side, you can push it out the other side then you are left with just the shaft and screw. Then put the head of the screw in a vice and grip the shaft with some pliers and turn. Or am i missing something?? I have had to do that a couple of times.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
If its only one side, you can push it out the other side then you are left with just the shaft and screw. Then put the head of the screw in a vice and grip the shaft with some pliers and turn. Or am i missing something?? I have had to do that a couple of times.
I hear what you are saying here, but if you have to be able grip both sides at the same time to get at least one side out and cannot do it, you are in a world of hurt.

Lee

Ok i see. Then heat up the good screw to make it loose, then grip the bad screw with some needle nose pliers and turn the good one. As you said Paul, A lot of the problems with stripping screws is not the screws themselves, but the allen key heads being rounded off. I have one allen that is pure chocolate, and couldn't open a wet paper bag. My other one was the first i bought and is hardened steel. Still works perfectly.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I tried needle nose.. The pro head blade grips are too congested. I couldn't grab a hold of it... Tried a couple of times... I am thinking to go with jd weld a hex on it...

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Exactly Lee. The Exi set of drivers I bought are exactly this way. Although, I have a set of actual Allen wrenches which rounded off on the 450GT build after having to take the screws off with Loctite on them. It happens, but you also pay for what you get and get what you pay for. I was thinking about getting some better hardened steel shafts for the Exi handles and replacing all of them. Sounds good in theory, but finding a set which would fit in the handles would probably be problematic at best. I guess I'll figure it out, lol.

Lee

I think that everyone is putting there screws in too tight. You only need to pinch them gently tight. The thread lock should do its job. And only put a tiny bit on the first couple of threads of the screw.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
LOL, yes I have the SATURATION issue myself. I always end up putting way too much on those little screws. I'm used to big bolts ... the ones used on cars :chuckles: Those can be measured in fractions of inches vs fractions of mm on these helis :biggrin1:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
It's inside a pro main blade grip.. I have a dremel I borrowed but it was gonna damage the blade grip too... Or I would have damaged it on accident.. So I just didn't do it... I got loctite weld instead... I have "welded" my cheap hex to the head now.. Waiting for set time... Which is about 16 hours... Ao tomorrow morning I will give it a try.. I can tell the way it's setting I'll have a successful screw extraction... If not.. God bless me! Lol

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
It's my align puppy... Lol I an really trying to keep it align, if it was my clone, I wouldn't have gone through this stuff lol.. You're right then I would have just thrown it... ;)

Tony

Staff member
Disclaimer: Rc-Help will not be held responsible for any damage resulting from shortcuts. Gaba, we have been over this before. That head is spinning at over 200mph, over 3000rpm, if one of those blades comes off, or if the flybar goes out of wack cause of it being out of balance, someone or something is going to get hurt. If you are "welding" extra parts onto that head, you are adding unbalanced weight. Dude, your going to get yourself or others hurt if you keep taking shortcuts like this. If you can't afford to fix it correctly, then don't fly it. Why do you think my helicopters never got flown?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
:O what happened Tony!!!! I thunk there's a little miscommunication here.. Lol.. I am not welding anything extra to the head and fly., Heehee

I am "jd welding" a hex to the head of that SCREW to a hex to get it out. My head block and blade grips are perfectly fine... The feathering spindle is what I can't remove... :)

Man I am a noob and ask a 1000 questions but believe me, m an engineer (not a great one) but know that if weight is balanced I am looking at disasters.. I have experience in that too...

And rest assured! I appreciate y'all's help, and would never Blame y'all for anything if anything goes wrong... It'll be my decision.. ! Man!! I have no clue what makes you think I would .. Lol....

Anywaz... Happy thoughts!! Happy thoughts... !!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Finally!!! Hallelujah!!! The bolt is out!!!

Jd welding the bigger surface area did not work.... I got really mad! And started dremelling the stupid screw's head with random bits, like the sanding / drilling / flattening / and finally the engraving tool... I dremelled the freaking head of the screw off!!! Sure there was smoke and sparks, but hey, I saved the head! Lol. Never had o felt so accomplished!! Lolz

Well, now replacing the blade grip bearings, my 1.5mm good quality finally broke after so much torture... But it's ok... :) I'll buy a new set...

Now can anyone suggest me a good quality set... Decently priced one... I would appreciate that!!

Thanks for the replies y'all!!! :)

Top Bottom