Futaba Need A Little Help!

Franko48

I was looking for a Futaba FP-R127DF receiver for my Tower Hobbies System 3000, 72.37MHZ FM transmitter and found several online today but I am thinking I may not need one since the HiTech micro receiver I found in my supplies today is what I must have bought years ago when I realized I did not get a receiver at the time I purchased the transmitter from a guy online. I do realize that I will need a channel 29 crystal for the receiver. All I see advertised are dual conversion crystals. I presume that is what all of those were at the time. Can anyone tell me if the standard dual conversion crystal will fit into a micro receiver? At present I need the receiver switch that has two wire coming off that are used for connecting the receiver to the airplane battery and also used to connect it to a battery charger when not flying to recharge the airplane battery. From what I was told this TX was made for Tower Hobbies by Futaba. I found a dual conversion channel 29 crystal online today. Can anyone tell me is a dual conversion crystal what was always used on these units? All I know is that on the back of my TX it has 29 on the back to signify the channel but I am unable to get into the transmitter to see what it looks like. So, I am assuming it also is using a dual conversion crystal. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• PC281180.JPG
    PC281180.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 3

Tony

Staff member
I'm going to suggest this from years of experience. If you care about your models, get a 2.4Ghz radio. There is far too much interference out there now days for those old am/fm Tx to work without glitching. And you can get them, full setups, for about $50.

It has been many years since I did anything with crystals, so I am not up on what is out there anymore. And I don't know of anyone on here that still uses crystals.

RandyDSok

Unfortunately... Tony is completely right on that recommendation. Even if you are completely out in the boonies and far from any town/city that may cause interference, That technology is just too dated to keep investing in it. In addition, you aren't suppose to simply change crystals in a transmitter or receiver... they must be tuned to the channel they are working on. Not to mention it's against the FCC rules to simply change out a crystal unless you are a certified tech that can also tune them when finished.

If you are sentimental about that radio for some reason ( I know my Dad is about his old retired radios, in fact, he may still have my old Hitec Prism 7 radio still, he only flew with his 2.4Ghz before he retired from flying RC ).... clean it up and put it on a shelf. Sentiment aside, don't keep throwing good money on old tech if you actually planning to use it.

Top Bottom