Flight Controllers NAZE32 Full Rev.5 Unable to Arm

EyeStation

Ok, this one just has to be a lemon.
This was the same controller I had trouble booting. After getting the recent firmware loaded I started to set up my radio.
I have this set up on a TBS Discovery frame that I bought used. Once I started looking at the receiver section of the Baseflight program, I noticed that I had aileron input controlling both the Aileron and Elevator. First thing I started to do was check out my receiver wiring. Next was the breakout cable from the TBS board to the control board. Adding to the frustration was the issue of not getting a green "Armed" indication when ever I switch the function switch to the proper condition.
I even tried to feed the receiver Aux channel to the Aux 3 and Aux 4 inputs on the control board and still never got the NAZE to arm.

I then ripped the NAZE Acro out of my 230 quad and connected it in place of the NAZE Full. I now get seperate Aileron and Elevator control and also can trigger the "Armed" condition as expected.
This eliminated my TBS board, receiver, cable connections and transmitter from being the source of the problem.

Being disgusted and not wanting to buy another, I bit the bullet and purchased a second NAZE32 Full.

That being the case, last night I took the failing NAZE 32 Full under the microscope and saw that the first component after the RX input pins had the Aileron and Elevator legs shorted by a small blob of solder. Between pins 1 & 2 and again on the opposite side of the chip between pins 7 & 8. I picked away the solder and reflowed the legs to assure there was no solder bridging the separation.
Mounted it back on the TBS frame and I now have independent Aileron and Elevator channels.
Sad part, still no way to get it into an armed condition.
Any suggestions before this board goes into the garbage?

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure what would cause that issue but if you want to ship it to me I would love to look at it if you are going to trash it.

Stambo

This might be too simple but make sure it is level, calibrate the accelerometers and compass and make sure throttle is low enough.
Check in the GUI for lowest throttle, it should be below 1000.
Being a full Naze 32 maybe try disabling the arming check as it may be waiting for GPS lock before it arms.

EyeStation

Tony, I might take you up on this. i will have to wait to see what the replacement is going to do and if I get the same results.
$53 experiment... fudge!
Stambo, I do not have the GPS enabled. This version of Full is magnetic and pressure, but GPS capable if enabled.
I can see the highlited window coincide with my switch positions and throttle position, all of the program windows meet the parameters and show up the same way on the Acro board. Only the Acro board gives a green "Armed: window in the program. Same switch configured to control the angle or horizon will show up true to condition.
I believe your thoughts with minimum throttle and have done my best to align all 4 ESC's simultaneously and individually and get the same results. Even manually powering the motors through the program start the motors at a reasonable point.
As for LED's I got nothing but blue for whatever switch position and channel set to arm the board.

EyeStation

Well the new one arrived today and I made sure it updated the firmware before soldering anything.
Got the pins soldered in and hooked up all the wiring I had as it was with the previous board.
Powered up the Tx, then the TBS. Flipped the switches i had set up in the software and no "Armed" led. Plugged in the software and saw the same situation as the previous board.
Not wanting to give up I took the chance to trim my throttle down while the Aux switch was set to Arm. About 3 clicks of front panel TX trim was all it took to get the board to arm.
I'm gonna kick myself if I hook up the other board and it works too.
Oh well, my little mini quad may get a board upgrade.
Thanks for the suggestions and sorry Tony, I don't think it's getting donated yet.

Lee

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
The first thing to check when not getting a board to arm, is the throttle endpoint settings.
But no you know that :D

EyeStation

I do believe the GUI did say it was down that low.
When I plug it in again later to make a couple changes I will double check.
And a minor maiden of the TBS Discovery w/920 kV motors, 30A DJI Opto ESC's, Naze32 w/Barometer & Magnetometer, Baseflight. Video: Sony 700 FPV cam feeding Immersion 600 mW system with EZosd and GPS. Onboard recording care of GoPro Hero 3 Black edition. As you can see in the video I tried the 1440 size recording and got the black bars o the playback.

[video]https://youtu.be/GYgD_h0I6wY[/video]

You can see that about 4:47 I started to loose battery power. part of the reason for the low flight.
I have 2 x 2200 3S batteries running in parallel. And these are old batteries.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I do hope the controller not seeing low throttle was all that was wrong. Sounds like good news to me and great flight! Put that thing back on 1080 lmao

Top Bottom