600 N5c Nitro

Tommy Rogers

hey there. I just recently picked up an n5c as I am itching to play with nitro.
I have decent experience with electrics, but nitro confuses me regarding the governor and throttle curves, as well as the switch between iu1 and iu2. I run governor on all my electrics, do I have a grasp on the mechanics of it, but I don’t have anyone in my area that I know of the help me learning nitro. Are there any areas on this site to get me started?

Tony

Staff member
Yup, right here in this thread. Let us know what your setup is and we will do what we can to help out. Tell us what flybarless controller you are using, what governor (if something other than the FBL is being used) you are using, what servo you are using for throttle and so on. The more info you can give us about your setup, the more we can help.

Tommy Rogers

Yup, right here in this thread. Let us know what your setup is and we will do what we can to help out. Tell us what flybarless controller you are using, what governor (if something other than the FBL is being used) you are using, what servo you are using for throttle and so on. The more info you can give us about your setup, the more we can help.
Ikon2 fbl
Os 55 hz
Jr3717 on throttle
Governor in ikon is setup, but disconnectod at the moment.
Also has bp sensor
Futaba 14sg radio

Tony

Staff member
What do you mean disconnected?

In the ikon, it will walk you through the setup process in the text to the left, and you will set your head speed on the right. Make sure you have your gear ratio and number of poles set correctly.

What is a bp sensor? All I can think of is blood pressure....

Tony

Staff member
Ah, I did do a video on this lol. Here you go, this may help a little more than just the text in the left of the ikon software.

Tommy Rogers

Thanks for the video! Exactly what I needed to see.
I set up the governor initially: set my gear ratio, set value to 1. And that’s as far as I got. Maybe it’s in my head but the way I have it setup mechanically right now is I see a large jump from normal mode to iu1 on the bench. I haven’t been comfortable enough to fire it up and actually test.
And BP. Back plate

Tony

Staff member
Ah, backplate sensor. lol.

You see a large jump on what? If it's on the throttle servo, that is because is it trying to reach the head speed you told it to go to. Since it is not running, it will go full throttle.

Tommy Rogers

Ah, backplate sensor. lol.

You see a large jump on what? If it's on the throttle servo, that is because is it trying to reach the head speed you told it to go to. Since it is not running, it will go full throttle.
Right the large jump is what worries me. You say it’s because it’s not running. Will the throttle Servo act differently running/under load? I know my pitch curves are identical in each mode, so is it normal to have such a large jump from each mode? Iu1-iu2? I think I’ll
Make a video and post to see if this just a mental block on my end. I’ve only built and flown electric Helis so I’m hopin it’s nerves

Tony

Staff member
Yup. With the numbers you put in for the selector and ratio, it calculates the engine rpm and tries to get it to the rpm that will give you the head speed you set. The next mode is asking for an even higher head speed so it is giving more throttle. With it running, it will reach that head speed/rpm and back the throttle off. You can safely test this by taking all of the blades off and firing it up. It will spool very fast without blades, but it should give you the ability to observe the throttle servo to make sure it is acting correctly.

And I understand about the nerves.

Tommy Rogers

Awesome thanks man. And that video is effing amazing compared to what else is available on the internets!!! Thanks for that and I’ll report back after this weekend!!

Tony

Staff member
I'm glad that it could help out. I had forgotten all about even making that video lol.

Tommy Rogers

Ok so I successfully fired it up and hovered it around abit and it purrs amazingly!!! Thanks again for the help. Now to tune the engine. I went through a full tank in about 3 minutes. A little rich!

Top Bottom