500 My500

MurryB

Just checked head on my 500. The blades at center stick are with in 2 tenths of degree with each other. But when you to fullup one side reads +11.9 to -10.7 but when you check other blade it reads +12.6 and -9.3 , any body know what is going on or is this OK.

Admiral

Check that the servo arms are the same brand and that the balls are located at the same distance from the center.

MurryB

The ball links on servo arms are hole to far out on arm. That must be what the problem is. Will fix tomorrow. Thanks Admiral for the help.

MurryB

Will that dfc head work on a regular Trex 500? I also found a spare servo for the 500, have arms set to 90% now I just have to do the rest of the head.

Last edited:

Admiral

Hi Murry, yes a DFC head will work on any Trex 500 so long as you change the Main shaft to a DFC Main shaft. You need to consider though the increased risk of of boom strikes because the DFC shaft is shorter the the regular one and the increased risk of damaging servos in a crash because of the direct link from head to servo.

I went DFC a long time ago but went back to a regular head when I found the disadvantages outweighed the advantages at my level of flying at the time.

MurryB

The regular shaft want work with the DFC head? If it want I am not going to all that trouble. And thanks Admiral for the help.

MurryB

Well i flew the 500 this and made a video. I think it flew ok until the belt broke or I lost a servo. You will see in the video. There is 2 of them. Tail rotor blades are messed up, main blades messed up, belt is broke and a servo is broke.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks for sharing MurryB :hdbng:. OH WOW! Sorry to see your bird go down. :damnit: man. You & the bird were doing very well till the belt broke...that :censored: A tight belt or worn out belt will do that :banghead: I hope you don't get discourage because of the crash. :censored: will happen again. Put her back together and get her airborne :arms: Seem to me you were flying just fine. Keep it up & skids down:wiggle:

Admiral

Was flying well before the belt broke, better to happen now while you were low rather than later from 40 or 50 feet, don't forget to check your main & feathing shafts while you have it pulled apart.

MurryB

IF someone can tell me were to get some cheap parts it want be long before I get it back in the air. I'am done with belts I am going switch to a Torque tube. I saw one on ebay for $33.00 dollars, would that one be all right. Do you have to change the main gears out? Can anybody on here make me a flybar lock will be more than happy to pay you for it I made one but it didn't work very well. Seems like it had more down pitch than it needs.

Last edited:

Admiral

Sorry can't help with spares they are very scarce in Australia, but I would think twice about a TT tail they are more prone to stripping umbrella gears than belts are at breaking.
I've one broke one belt in 10 years and that was on a 450 with a CF boom that had a was cut in half by a blade strike. if you do go with a TT tail try to get black umbrella gears, the white ones are too soft and strip very easy.

Geena

Staff member
IF someone can tell me were to get some cheap parts it want be long before I get it back in the air. I'am done with belts I am going switch to a Torque tube. I saw one on ebay for $33.00 dollars, would that one be all right. Do you have to change the main gears out? Can anybody on here make me a flybar lock will be more than happy to pay you for it I made one but it didn't work very well. Seems like it had more down pitch than it needs.
Power Heli has some parts for the older flybar helicopters. They`re going to be closing, but their site is currently still up and working. Ya might want to give them a shot before they`re gone.

Top Bottom