600 My TRex 600 ESP Rebuild

sneezy007

Hey guys,

I've been pretty busy the last month and haven't had time to get on the forum lately.

It's getting cold in Alberta and flying is pretty much done for the season. I'll be starting my rebuild soon.
I've never done this before, I imagine I'll have lots of questions as the rebuild progresses.

I have stripped down the heli to the frame and am going to pretend like it's a new build.

Cheers,
Dino

sneezy007

I already have a couple of questions. Should I keep the stock motor that came with it or upgrade it?
Also what pinion and ESC should I go with? I would like to have a separate RX battery just for the electronics as well.

Heli is going to be used for sport flying first, then aerobatics and possibly 3D.

Thanks,
Dino

sneezy007

I'm starting to look for parts for my ESP and noticed there are DFC and 600 Pro EFL parts out there.
Can you mix and match these parts for the head?

Thanks.

sneezy007

You're correct Smoggie, I've discovered the rest of the parts are different. I'm going to have to decide which road to go down.

Thanks.

sneezy007

Hey guys,

Finally started this rebuild. I'm going to install the torque tube but the instructions are very vague.
Where do you put the torque tube bearing on the torque tube. Do you use grease or oil on the bearing?

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Use light weight bearing oil on the bearing, and the bearing will go about half way down the tail boom. Use a little CA to secure it to the shaft to keep it from moving.

Smoggie

+1 on Tony's advice, if the TT has one bearing put it in the middle, if it's got two space then equidistant along the tube. Millimetre accuracy is not necessary. (as I recall the standard 600 has one bearing).

A spot of CA secures the bearing to the tube and a squirt of WD-40 or similar into the tail boom allows the whole TT assembly with the rubber bearing holder to slide easily into the boom.

sneezy007

Thanks for the help guys, would synthetic grease work as well?

I kept the old torque tube for reference and I can't tell if it's 1 or 2 pieces. I'll have to open up the new one to take a look.

I've been apprenticing with our heli instructor for this rebuild. He is so knowledgeable and an amazing builder.
My head hurts from all the information I've been learning but it's all great experience for me.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks for the help guys, would synthetic grease work as well?

I kept the old torque tube for reference and I can't tell if it's 1 or 2 pieces. I'll have to open up the new one to take a look.

I've been apprenticing with our heli instructor for this rebuild. He is so knowledgeable and an amazing builder.
My head hurts from all the information I've been learning but it's all great experience for me.

Hey there sneezy007, there's always information to absorb in this hobby that's for sure. I'm always learning something new especially with technology moving at a rapid pace.

Tony

Staff member
You are going to be hard pressed to get grease in a bearing. Lightweight oil is what all of us use. Even 3-1 sewing machine oil will work which you can pick up anywhere.

Smoggie

The bearings are pre-impregnated with grease, theoretically they dont need any lubrication but a bit of oil wont do any harm. As Tony says, grease wont get past the shields on the bearing so wont do any good.

Tony

Staff member
One thing to note about the grease that is in the bearings (especially if they are cheap bearings), after a bit of use, they turn into tiny rocks. I always clean out bearings and oil them up. This Goblin build, all bearings are going to be cleaned out so there is no grease in them, then I will oil them. I just don't trust the grease.

Smoggie

The downside of de-greasing them is that you must then oil them every few flights, which is a lot or work and makes a mess of the heli.

Personally I've not has a problem with leaving bearings with 'factory grease' this includes some that are 4+ years old and still doing fine. The TT bearings tend to wear quicker because they spin faster, but they are very difficult to oil because to do so requires stripping down the whole rear end of the heli. Not so bad on the Goblin because it's belt drive and all bearings are accessible.

Tony

Staff member
This is very true. but then again, look at how often I fly hahaha. I may just do a test on the goblin and see how the stock grease does. I usually clean them out,but I may just leave them in this time... plug-n-play...

sneezy007

Hey guys, I took a look at the new torque tube yesterday and now I know what you're talking about.
It's a metal sealed bearing, the old one was plastic and looked like it was two pieces.

Just so this is straight in my head. Obviously no grease in the bearing, does the outside of the bearing need anything?
Spray a bit of WD-40 in the tail boom so it's easier to get the bearing into the tail boom. The bearing does not go on the centre of the torque tube.
In the instructions it shows the bearing 5-7cm off centre.

Is all this correct?

Thanks for your help.

sneezy007

Hey there sneezy007, there's always information to absorb in this hobby that's for sure. I'm always learning something new especially with technology moving at a rapid pace.

Hey D.O.G. yes you're correct, things change so quickly but it's all good. We have to keep learning to keep our minds sharp.

Cheers.

Smoggie

Yes, you are right on the TT bearing position, the manual shows if slightly off centre which i think is to stop harmonic resonance. Personally I've found that central also works fine but best go with the manual.

The bearing doesnt need any extra lubrication.

sneezy007

Well I've been spending time with my heli instructor who has been helping me with this re-build. It's taken us 12 hours so far and we're just about finished. Yesterday we did the set up. This is my first real build and I honestly don't know how I'm going to remember all of this, it's so overwhelming. My analogy is liking drinking from a fire hose. Our instructor is so knowledgeable and an amazing builder and I could not have rebuilt this heli on my own. It's been a real eye opener for me because I usually buy BNF or used helis. I didn't realize so much goes into the building process.

sneezy007

The 600 is finished with the help of my instructor.

One last thing I would like to do is add a separate RX battery. I prefer to power the electronics on their own rather than risk having the motor spool up on me. I'm going to use a JR connector from the RX to a 2s lipo battery. I'm going to solder EC3 connectors on both the battery and the other end of the servo wire.

What connects to what in order for this to work?

Thanks

Top Bottom