Projects My Thank You To The Forum

Alex Evans

Get yourself a cold beer, this is a bit long...

As a new comer into the rotary wing machines (after many years of flying RC Fixed wings) I am faced with a steep learning curve. What makes it a hard task, is trying to grasp the many new topics / concepts that I was never exposed to before. My comments below refer to my project on building an Align Trex-450L Dominator. When I ordered it, I was for some reason, under the impression that it comes assembled in a box. I was wrong of course, but looking back – I am happy it did. There is no other way to get to know the machine, other than having to put it together… My setup and the following comments refer to : MicroBeast V5, Spektrum DX9 Black and Spektrum AR8010T Receiver.

I know that most people do NOT like reading manuals, but I do! I have read the MicroBeast (MB) manual twice, I watched many the relevant YouTube (YT) video clips on the setup and would like to make the following suggestions: READ the manual, READ the manual, READ the manual….

Most of the YT clips are old, some dating back to 2011… Most of them do NOT mention which version of MB they are referring to. Some of the presenters produced clips that are hard to follow, or they talk and the camera is pointing to something else. There are changes between versions. Don’t misunderstand me, I am really appreciating the time and effort of those who did those clips, but, There is no substitute to – READING the manual.

Speaking of the MB v5 manual. I am referring here to the online version, here : chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.beastx.com/download/manual/microbeast/MBPlus_QuickStart_V5_EN.pdf

Some comments:
  1. On page 5 at the bottom, it says menu A and C indicate I am on v5. But, in my case – A, C an H are on… what version is that?
  2. On page 7, power 2nd line for backup, it will require an extra device and on a machine small as a 450, space is tight
  3. On page 8, set your Swash-plate type. From the images presented it seems I needed to select in my Tx the type I have, which is 120… How wrong I was in doing that, how much time I wasted, until I had a comment here in the forum from a member (Thank you Matt) that I should set it to NORMAL (Whatever that means) and let MB do the work… He was right and after that my MB setup went on smoothly.
  4. On page 12, rudder end-point setup , it doesn’t say that once you reach the end-point and to avoid binding, you should go back a bit from the end point, but I picked up a hint on that from one of the YT video clips.
  5. On page 15, ch-7 must be powered from elsewhere, this points back to item 2 in my list here
  6. Why, to set up Exponential on this unit, I need to get out of menu A-N into the PARAMETER menu?
In the PDF version manual I have, there are pages with QR / Barcodes… Pointing my mobile phone to any one, takes me to a web page all written in what I assume to be Taiwanese… , so that was when I decided to start looking at the Online manual instead.

The Trex 450L Dominator comes with a set of landing gear skids, but when placed on my workbench once it is assembled, the tail fin and tail rotor will be in the grass, not very good for the blades. A member here in the forum (Thanks Keith) suggested I get a replacement – the Trex-470 fits perfectly the mounting and the Back part is lifted higher from the ground. But, as we all know “There is no free-lunch…”. During my first attempt in spooling up , the machine is tilted forward and as soon as ground friction was taken away – the machine ran forward…. Be ready on the elevator stick to prevent this from happening to you.

Specifically for this machine, I purchased a new RX, a Spektrum AR8010T. I found out several things about this option:
  1. For a beginner like me and for this small machine, this is an overkill. I will NEVER use the bells and whistles this RX offers.
  2. The size of the unit and the only place to logically place it, is interfering with the middle bracket location of the landing gear. I had to drill new holes to accommodate moving it forward and position the RX in the bottom tray.
  3. The above step “Fixed” the problem, but introduced another one. There is now not enough space to push the LiPo pack into the fuselage, so when coming to install the canopy, I can’t push it in, far enough to reach the Hooking pins…. I am forced to maybe cut part of the nose of the canopy…
One last note : Nowhere , between the Helicopter manual, the Radio manual, The Rx or the MB manual is there a definition of settings need to be done, on the MB or the TX. I found out from questions posted here why my machine is stuck in RATE mode and I don’t see any HH active once I get out of the setup. Turns out I had to change the 0,0,0 in the Gyro section of the TX to 25,25,25… all, the hard way.

Thankful to all the assistance I received here in the forum, it comes in most cases from experienced pilots. To most of them, things are clear, it is hard for most of them to come “Down” to my lame level… So, my advice to all you, newcomers – Make sure you ask ONE and only ONE question / topic at a time. Asking about a,b and c at the same time will get you some answers that will make it hard on you to understand to which item the answer is related… I know, ask me how….

Hope the above blurb, can help others and once again, my many thanks to the helping members here.

RandyDSok

Most of the YT clips are old, some dating back to 2011… Most of them do NOT mention which version of MB they are referring to.

That is an issue no matter the subject... I see it with smartphones, computers and so many other things that it almost becomes comical in a sense. Of course it happens on the opposite end with the user as well... they never mention the make/model they are referring too and often never include any info other than the symptom they are trying to resolve.

Alex Evans

rdsok, You are so right, on both comments
Yes, I get questions from users (I teach technology in my retirement village) and they know what they are asking about... but don't provide much details. We are living in a diversified society...

Thank you

Alex Evans

I have already, and intend to keep at it. I do a simulator session almost every day, constructed myself a nice set of trianing skids...
Thanks again. I will no doubt need more help along the way.
I want to convert my Trex 600 to FBL dfc AND am debating what controller to get.
Is really 6 axis necessary for some without any plans to fly 3d?
Cheers

Last edited:

Matt

The three axis gyro are good. I’ve got a KBar and never had any problems with it. I got a Microbeast recently because I like that one. I’ve had Ikon2’s and Brain2’s which are both good. I’d suggest on buying spare parts. Main shafts, main gears, feathering shafts, main and tail blades. Having backup parts helps tremendously. I always have backups.

Alex Evans

Matt, I have some backup parts but now that I want to move from FB to FBL, I will need to get new backup parts for my Trex-600
I like the idea of being able to do a setup on my PC, not on the TX and ordered the Beast USB adapter.
It seems for the Beast, I will need to get some paid extras, but my question remains - do I need the 6 Axis, or can I get by with 3 Axis only?

Thanks again

murankar

Staff member
6 is always better. Regardless. Its just more accurate at the top level. It does more than that at the technical level.

Look at it like this, if the directions say a little is all it takes, then a lot works better.

Antonio

Get yourself a cold beer, this is a bit long...

As a new comer into the rotary wing machines (after many years of flying RC Fixed wings) I am faced with a steep learning curve. What makes it a hard task, is trying to grasp the many new topics / concepts that I was never exposed to before. My comments below refer to my project on building an Align Trex-450L Dominator. When I ordered it, I was for some reason, under the impression that it comes assembled in a box. I was wrong of course, but looking back – I am happy it did. There is no other way to get to know the machine, other than having to put it together… My setup and the following comments refer to : MicroBeast V5, Spektrum DX9 Black and Spektrum AR8010T Receiver.

I know that most people do NOT like reading manuals, but I do! I have read the MicroBeast (MB) manual twice, I watched many the relevant YouTube (YT) video clips on the setup and would like to make the following suggestions: READ the manual, READ the manual, READ the manual….

Most of the YT clips are old, some dating back to 2011… Most of them do NOT mention which version of MB they are referring to. Some of the presenters produced clips that are hard to follow, or they talk and the camera is pointing to something else. There are changes between versions. Don’t misunderstand me, I am really appreciating the time and effort of those who did those clips, but, There is no substitute to – READING the manual.

Speaking of the MB v5 manual. I am referring here to the online version, here : chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.beastx.com/download/manual/microbeast/MBPlus_QuickStart_V5_EN.pdf

Some comments:
  1. On page 5 at the bottom, it says menu A and C indicate I am on v5. But, in my case – A, C an H are on… what version is that?
  2. On page 7, power 2nd line for backup, it will require an extra device and on a machine small as a 450, space is tight
  3. On page 8, set your Swash-plate type. From the images presented it seems I needed to select in my Tx the type I have, which is 120… How wrong I was in doing that, how much time I wasted, until I had a comment here in the forum from a member (Thank you Matt) that I should set it to NORMAL (Whatever that means) and let MB do the work… He was right and after that my MB setup went on smoothly.
  4. On page 12, rudder end-point setup , it doesn’t say that once you reach the end-point and to avoid binding, you should go back a bit from the end point, but I picked up a hint on that from one of the YT video clips.
  5. On page 15, ch-7 must be powered from elsewhere, this points back to item 2 in my list here
  6. Why, to set up Exponential on this unit, I need to get out of menu A-N into the PARAMETER menu?
In the PDF version manual I have, there are pages with QR / Barcodes… Pointing my mobile phone to any one, takes me to a web page all written in what I assume to be Taiwanese… , so that was when I decided to start looking at the Online manual instead.

The Trex 450L Dominator comes with a set of landing gear skids, but when placed on my workbench once it is assembled, the tail fin and tail rotor will be in the grass, not very good for the blades. A member here in the forum (Thanks Keith) suggested I get a replacement – the Trex-470 fits perfectly the mounting and the Back part is lifted higher from the ground. But, as we all know “There is no free-lunch…”. During my first attempt in spooling up , the machine is tilted forward and as soon as ground friction was taken away – the machine ran forward…. Be ready on the elevator stick to prevent this from happening to you.

Specifically for this machine, I purchased a new RX, a Spektrum AR8010T. I found out several things about this option:
  1. For a beginner like me and for this small machine, this is an overkill. I will NEVER use the bells and whistles this RX offers.
  2. The size of the unit and the only place to logically place it, is interfering with the middle bracket location of the landing gear. I had to drill new holes to accommodate moving it forward and position the RX in the bottom tray.
  3. The above step “Fixed” the problem, but introduced another one. There is now not enough space to push the LiPo pack into the fuselage, so when coming to install the canopy, I can’t push it in, far enough to reach the Hooking pins…. I am forced to maybe cut part of the nose of the canopy…
One last note : Nowhere , between the Helicopter manual, the Radio manual, The Rx or the MB manual is there a definition of settings need to be done, on the MB or the TX. I found out from questions posted here why my machine is stuck in RATE mode and I don’t see any HH active once I get out of the setup. Turns out I had to change the 0,0,0 in the Gyro section of the TX to 25,25,25… all, the hard way.

Thankful to all the assistance I received here in the forum, it comes in most cases from experienced pilots. To most of them, things are clear, it is hard for most of them to come “Down” to my lame level… So, my advice to all you, newcomers – Make sure you ask ONE and only ONE question / topic at a time. Asking about a,b and c at the same time will get you some answers that will make it hard on you to understand to which item the answer is related… I know, ask me how….

Hope the above blurb, can help others and once again, my many thanks to the helping members here.

that was actually enjoyable to read and funny as well. Thank you for the pointers in this new adventure I also decided to embark in. Antonio

Top Bottom