450 My T Rex 450 pro with My NEW DX 8, some advice please

yardner

OK, I got my NEW DX 8 setup with my OLD T Rex 450 and it's flying now.
with the help from Tony (thanks) i have gotten my gains pretty close.

however, it now has a Very noticeble forward DRIFT... get it up to level hover and it tilts forward/nose down, and starts going forward.
??? is this a swash leveling setup problem ???
or is it something else that i'm missing in my new DX8 settings??

thanks

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like your swash is not level. If you are using the 3GX, go back into DIR mode and double check your swash for level. If you do not have a swash leveling tool, then use my Zip Tie method. These can be found in the How-To section under Helicopter > Setup. Hope this helps.

yardner

OK, thanks Tony. i was afraid that was what i would need to do.
but was just sitting here with my morning coffee and thought that i would give it a quick shout out to see what others might think.
yes, i do have a leveling tool.

thanks

Tony

Staff member
I hope your leveling tool works better than mine lol. The swash on my clone is too tall and it doesn't work. But, I'm getting ready to sell this one, and get the real one. have to have my quality back! lol.

another thing to check, make sure it's not too nose heavy. That will cause this as well.

yardner

update

OK, in the spirit of full disclosure when i hooked up the 3GX program to my laptop i noticed that i had the delay set for LARGE size helicopters. :upset:
i fixed that.
checked the swash in DIR, all seams good and level at mid., high and low stick. 0* at center stick.
after messing around with the 3GX delay ( i think i have it set @ 0 ) and moving my gyro gain UP to 45% in normal flight mode
then i moved my ELE pot up from 110 to 120.
these changes DID help a lot..... lifts off real smooth tail is pretty steady But, it still has a forward drift.... if you let of the cyclic it immediately tilts forward.
if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
still working on it here

thanks,

Tony

Staff member
When you set your delay, you can hook the gyro up to the 3GX software on your computer and go to the Settings tab. The lower right slider is the one that is the delay. Hold the rudder stick as you set delay to 0 then push the button, while still holding the stick.

I"m not sure why the swash is tilting forward, it shouldn't do that.

yardner

Tony, 1st thing i just got an e-mail on my iPhone notifying me of your post, Cool !!!

"Hold the rudder stick as you set delay to 0" See, i din't no that! your so smart T.
but ok will give that a try

thanks,

Tony

Staff member
My wife tells me I'm smart every day. But then there is an "ass" after it hahahahaha.

Hope it works for you. I just recently found that you could set the delay that way while bored at work and playing with the clone trying to beat this 3GX into submission. I think I'm winning, although I did just about plow it into the ground early this morning lmao.

yardner

OK, its kind of been a struggle but i do have an update.....

I think is has some thing to do with the Travel Limits that i had set on the DX8 so i could level the swash.
below are some photos and a video of what i did and have done.
please watch and let me know if you have any ideas or comments.

here is the ELE travel limit set at 100-100 with the throttle/elevator set at high stick.

1B55AFD7-3A58-4A64-96E2-E3BE7871BB92-12954-00000281C9B2E134_zpsc7685981.jpg

this is what i was getting, the ELE is a little low, so on my OLD DX6i would raise the travel limits a little to get it level.
now this is really not a good picture of how off it is/was, its really MORE than the pic depicts.
Please note, at low and mid stick everything is fine, all is level.

EECE25EB-389E-4AE5-936A-CE058BAD19A5-12954-00000281AD3EC33E_zps8475d18d.jpg

now this video shows what i think happened.
i think i may have gone over on the travel limits when i was leveling the swash.
but as the video shows, at 115 everything is good, but when i move i up to 120 i really screws it up, and the elevator tilts what looks like FULL forward.

[video=youtube_share;jWhr9iaB4lA]http://youtu.be/jWhr9iaB4lA[/video]

this has to be something with the DX8 that was NOT happening with my DX6i ?
Or am i missing something?

anyway, just wanted to give and update to let ya know what i have discovered.
hate when i read a thread and it kind of ends with no outcome, and that kind of leaves you hanging wondering what happen? did they fix it? trash it? or just said screw it! i'm not flying these things anymore.

thanks,

1B55AFD7-3A58-4A64-96E2-E3BE7871BB92-12954-00000281C9B2E134_zpsc7685981.jpg

EECE25EB-389E-4AE5-936A-CE058BAD19A5-12954-00000281AD3EC33E_zps8475d18d.jpg

Tony

Staff member
With the 3GX, you can NOT run any adjustments the way you have them. Everything must be at 100% and you will never touch it again. You need to set all of your travels to 100%, go into DIR mode, set your servos to 90º, then finish your E-Lim and A-Lim setups so the gyro knows your stick travels. The reason it was tilting forward is because you are giving it a forward input and it's going to move the swash more and more until that helicopter moves. Please set everything back to 100% and redo the setup procedure. Make sure that when you do the E and A lim setups, that you are at 0º of pitch on the blades (should be mid stick).

yardner

With the 3GX, you can NOT run any adjustments the way you have them. Everything must be at 100% and you will never touch it again. You need to set all of your travels to 100%, go into DIR mode, set your servos to 90º, then finish your E-Lim and A-Lim setups so the gyro knows your stick travels. The reason it was tilting forward is because you are giving it a forward input and it's going to move the swash more and more until that helicopter moves. Please set everything back to 100% and redo the setup procedure. Make sure that when you do the E and A lim setups, that you are at 0º of pitch on the blades (should be mid stick).

thanks T, yes i see what you are saying but please look at the attached link from another thread where i was useing my DX6i and WESLEY said that this is OK
i may have misunderstood him.

swash leveling question ??? - Page 2

thanks,

Tony

Staff member
well, I will never tell anyone to ever put travel adjustments in the Tx when using the 3GX. The gyro doesn't like it. But, if it's working for you, great.

john2012

Banned
don't know if this is in the right spot but need help in hooking up a on off switch to my 450 pro is this possible

- - - Updated - - -

oh and what size wire should i use sorry i forgot about that

yardner

don't know if this is in the right spot but need help in hooking up a on off switch to my 450 pro is this possible

- - - Updated - - -

oh and what size wire should i use sorry i forgot about that

i have never seen a on/off switch on an 450, but that does not mean theres not, i have read other post where other people have inquired about doing it.
but i could see where it would come in handy when your putting the 3GX into DIR mode, where you have to push set and plug in bat. at the same time.
i think i've seen other post where they may have made a jumper like switch where they could plug it in just during set up and then take it out/off when you fly.
for this, i would think any 12V switch that you would get at Radio Shack would work.

hope this helps.

Slobberdog

Why would you want to insert something into the power system that will cause a resistance and a possible point of failure, its different on the bigger birds as they use a battery for the electrics which the switch is on and a battery for the motor, which is a direct connection, me I would not put one on there.

Top Bottom