600 My stretched Trex 600 Pro (626mm)

Smoggie

This is my oldest big heli and is the one I use to tinker with and do upgrades and modifications. It's currently running a Blade 600X FBL head and Rail 626 blades along with a stretched tail boom (using Trex 700e parts).

it flies really well. It's one my my favourite helis:

[video=youtube_share;dECA945PyHs]https://youtu.be/dECA945PyHs[/video]

Smoggie

Yeah, the Blade head fit perfectly. The only thing I needed to do was cut down and drill a main shaft to the required length. I'm not a fan of the geometry of the Align head because you cant get a perfect setup in the Vbar (the grip control arms are too short). Using the Blade head fixed it nicely.

trainrider06

It looks like you are more hmm how should I say flight risky with that heli too. Not meaning flying it crazy or flying it above your skills, but you seem to be more comfortable with that heli.
Man that has some pretty loud blade farts it seems also! It really seems louder than the others. Or is this my imagination????

Smoggie

I probably do push this heli a bit harder, hence the blade noise. it's a bit of a hooligan's heli very punchy and snappy response.

The consecutive loops were a new trick for me... not hard at all to be honest but still put a smile on my face.

Heliman450

Looks and sounds great Steve. Maybe one day I'll be able to put a big smile on my own face. Fingers crossef!

Nade

Hi Smoogie,

Watching your flight above from 8/12. Very nicely done! I watched with envy because I can make the same maneuvers on my sim but haven't had the nerve to try them on the real thing yet. I'm going to plan on bringing my small birds, 250 class to the field and use them as the guinny pig. I've got plenty of repair parts should I need them. If I can pull it off with them, I'll be ready with my 600 and 770. It's almost a natural feel on the sim. I just have to get that feeling transferred to the real ones.

Heliman450

Hi Smoogie,

Watching your flight above from 8/12. Very nicely done! I watched with envy because I can make the same maneuvers on my sim but haven't had the nerve to try them on the real thing yet. I'm going to plan on bringing my small birds, 250 class to the field and use them as the guinny pig. I've got plenty of repair parts should I need them. If I can pull it off with them, I'll be ready with my 600 and 770. It's almost a natural feel on the sim. I just have to get that feeling transferred to the real ones.

Hi Nade, good luck with your next steps. I can do a lot more on the simulator than I can with my T-Rex 550. I think a big part of it is the difference between the simulator's settings for flybarless than what's inside the gyro on the real heli.

What gyros have you got fitted in the real deal? Do you fly with the big ones yet or are you mostly simulator based? A video of what you do right now would help for assessment of the real flyers we have here to advise.

If you've already done it well done, if not, take care but at some point you just have to risk the cash involved with the damage of a crash.

Bye for now!

Smoggie

Rick,

If you can do it on the sim then real life shouldnt be too much of an issue, it's really just about confidence and getting over the initial fear. using a smaller heli is a decent plan but it is a lot harder on the small ones. Personally i just use the big helis and get a bit of height so i have room to recover if it all goes wrong. FBL with 'rescue' are another option that gives you a safety net.

Nade

Hi Nade, good luck with your next steps. I can do a lot more on the simulator than I can with my T-Rex 550. I think a big part of it is the difference between the simulator's settings for flybarless than what's inside the gyro on the real heli.

What gyros have you got fitted in the real deal? Do you fly with the big ones yet or are you mostly simulator based? A video of what you do right now would help for assessment of the real flyers we have here to advise.

If you've already done it well done, if not, take care but at some point you just have to risk the cash involved with the damage of a crash.

Bye for now!

Hi Heliman450, thanks very much for your input! The settings in the sim definitely can be different and I've worked on those to make them as close to the characteristics of my heli's. Most of my time in the four plus years in the hobby have been with 250 class heli's. I recently acquired a Blade 450 3D that flys very nice with the stock gyro, which I think is the 210s, something like that. The set up on my Goblin 770 is a Quantom motor, Torq servos, Spirit Pro RX, Castle Creations ESC, Pulse 2s 7.4 primary and two 6s Pulse 35c 6000mAh. My 630 is partially disassembled for shipment to a friend who's buying it.

I can fly all my birds, with most of the time spent on the smaller ones although the larger ones are easier to fly. I don't get out to the field as often as I'd like to so I'll take a smaller one to fly in the back yard. Here is a link to a flight I had with my 450 at my local park. The Blade 450 3D at the park 9/5/16 - YouTube Not a very good flight at all. I know it's taking my confidence from the sim and applying it to the real thing. My thoughts of using my 250 class heli's to break the inhibitions come from the fact that I have plenty of repair parts for those. And knowing that they are a bit more difficult to fly (hence why I prefer the larger bird's), if I can overcome those inhibitions with a successful transition with some simply 3D maneuvers I'll feel much more confident when it comes to the 450 or 770. I'm just more cautious with those simply because of the cost involved if they did go down.

Incidentally, I just bought an Align 600L Dominator. A good friend, trainrider06, has inspired me to try moving from Blade, of which I have many to Align. I'm going to start an article of the build shortly.
If there's any other info you need just let me know. Thanks again.

Nade

Rick,

If you can do it on the sim then real life shouldnt be too much of an issue, it's really just about confidence and getting over the initial fear. using a smaller heli is a decent plan but it is a lot harder on the small ones. Personally i just use the big helis and get a bit of height so i have room to recover if it all goes wrong. FBL with 'rescue' are another option that gives you a safety net.

Hey Smoogie,

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It's much appreciated! That's exactly how it's been! Bring up the sim, no problem and rarely a crash. Get the real one in my hand and here it comes. (I'll see if I can get a sim flight recorded and post it here.) Since I've got a good supply of parts for my 250 class jobs I feel it's time to put them to use if that's what it takes, even if it is more difficult than the larger ones. Certainly cost me a lot less to get back up and flying again.

And like I mentioned to Heliman450, I just got an Align 600L Dominator. I'm going to start an article with that build shortly. I also recently acquired a Blade 450 3d that flys very nice. I just posted the YouTube link of a not-so-good flight with it. It's either above or below this post.

Incidentally, I just noticed you're in the U.K. Love the British "accent"! Want to experience your part of the world one day. Just don't know if I'll ever get the chance.

Heliman450

Hi Nade,

Looks good to me. You seem very confident to have the heli quite a distance away from you. That's one aspect of the simulator I have most problem with transferring to the real world (it's only 2D). One of my practice sessions involves flying at altitude and distance from me, too. First off was just flying straight ahead and up to about 30 metres from the ground. That was quite a challenge in the beginning.

It looks to me like you need to practice simple stuff with the larger helis and not just rely on the smaller helis only. Try giving the heli a lot more altitude than in your video. You seem confident with what you're doing. The only thing I'd say is find somewhere not so close to the parked vehicles, a big field if possible, so that if you do lose it then the only cost will be your own heli, not someone's vehicle as well.

Keep us updated!

Smoggie

If i want to strech my trex 600. Dfc fbl e...what parts should i buy?

Kronchy,

You need a boom, torque tube and pushrod from a Trex 700. They are too long so you need to cut them down to something sensible. I can give you all the details of what to do, the torque tube is the trickiest job.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Kronchy,

You need a boom, torque tube and pushrod from a Trex 700. They are too long so you need to cut them down to something sensible. I can give you all the details of what to do, the torque tube is the trickiest job.

Hey there Smoggie. Can you explain or anyone else, what are the benefit of stretching a bird? I've notice a few members doing it.

Smoggie

Hey there Smoggie. Can you explain or anyone else, what are the benefit of stretching a bird? I've notice a few members doing it.

Yeah, i can try. Basically 'stretching' is fitting a longer tail boom. This in turn allows bigger main (and/or tail) blades to be used without fear of them clipping each other.

The advantage of larger blades is that you get lower disk loading so you can run lower headspeed and the heli feels more 'floaty' and potentially gets longer flight times. In the case of the Trex 600 the standard heli is on the heavy side, and it has a low tail ratio, both of which mean that it flies best at very high headspeed, this is fine but it results in short flight time. The stretch allows bigger main and tail blades to be fitted which gives it good performance at more moderate headspeed. I much prefer the way mine flies after the stretch and fitting 626mm main blades and 105 tails, I also dropped a tooth off the pinion to get the best from the lower headspeed.

Heliman450

Hi all,

I really enjoyed doing a similar thing to my T-Rex 550 after fitting 550mm main rotor blades. I fitted the 600 tail and increased the tail rotor blades from 85mm to 90mm. Did I notice a difference? Yes, even with my limited flying skills. The heli didn't bob up and down so much in a hover (bigger main rotor blades). As far as the tail is concerned it's less noticeable for me. My view after a little while has past by is that it was more a better feeling about the clearance of the tail rotor from the main rotor than any real improvement in flight characteristics.

Is it worth doing? Probably not if you're a simple flyer rather than a more sophisticated pilot like Steve (I've seen the videos). If one needs to ask what parts are required to do it, then I'd say better not to do it. If you can figure out the parts here 亞拓家電網路購物 then all you need to know is how it needs to be cut etc. I didn't need to do any great amount of modification other than fitting ball links (courtesy of Steve) with longer shanks to get a better tail control push-rod.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Top Bottom